Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Ciggie Lighters
14 Posts
Safety & Security

I think they're worried about lighters going bang in your bag/ pocket, if the gas leaks and security against terrorism.
As far as I was aware your not allowed gas lighters on any planes only safety matches in your luggage. There are signs up at all UK airorts regarding this. Fortunately I only had a cheapo lighter when I came back four weeks ago.
Whats going on at Dabolim Airport ? Everyone had their lighters confiscated,

The same happened last year

The Thomson guide says:-

Dangerous & Prohibited goods

Acceptable Items

Safety Matches or a lighter (containing liquid or liquefied gas fuel only) and only when carried on the person and not packed in luggage, refills are not permitted On Flights to USA Gas filled lighters are prohibitted.

:?

Mids
One year when I had to go back and have a bag stamped that they had missed, I saw someone going through all the confiscated lighters and taking out the one he liked the look of.
we came back a week ago and they took hubby's out his pockets but left mine in my handbag!
I have always managed to get one through! Can't think why they do it - although methinks there may be a "scam" going on here and they are not taking them because of security. No other airport in the world that I have been to does this. Also I have noticed that if you buy a lighter at the Nellie Shop it works fine - if you buy them off the stalls down by Candolim beach road all the gas leaks out after a couple of days and they fall to bits - think they may be recycled - I wonder where from!!!!!
If it is an expensive lighter ask for a receipt for it, by rights they should put it on the plane in a safe box and hand it to you on your return. I did this at Mumbai domestic terminal and after much arguing he handed me my lighter back, sounds like a little scam going on here :?
just received our First Choice tickets and noticed for the first time that lighters containing compressed butane gas are no longer permitted on long haul flights.
seeing as how petrol lighters and matches have been prohibited for a long while this somewaht removes any options. anyway have coolected some little books of safety matches from bars etc and hope to escape with them
Otherwise, I'll be the guy in the departure lounge rubbing two sticks together
del949
Hi Del

I travelled long haul with First Choice in September when the rule had just come into force. Be careful they do spot checks for matches in hand luggage at departure gate. Husband doesn't smoke but I do luckily it was his hand luggage they checked and not mine so managed to get through with matches in bag.
Joan, do they confiscate SAFETY mathes also?
del949
Del

Yes they do at the departure gate they have a basket and ask you to put all lighters and matches in them and just after you have shown passports etc. they had a table doing spot checks for anyone who had tried to take them through, but they didn't stop everyone. Only two people checking so while they were occupied everyone else was allowed to just walk past.
Just try to make sure that they are busy when you pass them. Going to Goa with them in March and will still be risking it myself.
It's pretty obvious why they confiscate lighters. I had a 'Goan' lighter explode in my hand! Lucky I tossed it away with shock, I was lucky! The filler valves are dodgy on most so that if you light up the whole lighter explodes!
Neil, I think that you have missed a point.
the confiscation is at Manchester now as well as at dabolim so applies to any "reputable" lighter also
del949
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.