Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Sounds wonderful Shirley. Never been but must see more of Turkey - but can`t seem to pull myself away from Icmeler!
Hi Shirley,
sounds like you know a bit about Cirali area.I've been researching it for a future holiday and would be interested to find out more,such as accomodation.Can't seem to find any villas and as there are six of us an hotel isn't ideal.It does look a lovely and interesting area.
So any more info would be much appreciated,
Maz
Cirali / Olympos is located approx. 80km southwest from Antalya. It is quiet and peaceful village perfect for nature lovers, families and for those wishing to get away from the mass touristic cities or towns.

Once on the beach ( 4kms long - secluded - clean ) you can walk into the entrance of the ancient city of Olympos visiting the ruins located on either side of the creek.
The Chimaera ( ''Yanartas'' - as the locals call it ) is also located at the end of the village of Cirali.

Cirali offers a wide range of accomodations for all budgets ranging from camping, pansiyons, hotels to boutique hotels. Cirali is also a great place for families.

No 5 stars hotels here just small family run independent hotels and pansiyons.
maz hi as Caretta says its a lovely place for a quiet unspoilt holiday..some stunning places too round and about.
next year for the eclipse.(march 29th..the village is expected to be very busy as it is one of the best vantage points..i took this piece from a web site about the eclipse and noted they mentioned Cirali
'''One of the longest lasting total solar eclipses of the sun will take place on March 29, 2006, and pass transversely through central Turkey from southwest to northeast.
This will be a stunning eclipse, lasting over 4 minutes of totality and viewed by millions of people over a route up to 190km wide.
With fewer than 70 total eclipses per century, the chance to see one is a once in a lifetime event.
The area's southern setting and its favorable terrain make it one of the sunniest places in Turkey.
The village of Cirali and Olympos will be close to the center of the path, and great for viewing.'''
another place for viewing is Side..
I have been reading up on Cirali and really like the idea of a week in the spring with a couple of friends. I realise its quiet and quite remote ( we all enjoy walking e.t.c.) does anyone please know of any good accomodation preferably near the beach or any other information on Cirali. If not the other place that I would be interested in is Cavus Bay.
thanks ht'ers,Mel.
hi crockergirl..cirali has a range of accomodation mostly pensions and small hotels... i can recommend hotel Canada as a small family run hotel have a look at their web site. they have their own transport from Antalya airport..about 80 kilometres....50 miles.
..when you say spring how early do you mean as places in Cirali will be taken up for the eclipse which is march 29th..
Cavus bay is also a quiet lovely spot ..and is actually on the Lycian Way long distance walking path..wherever you choose in the area you wont be disapponted
thanks for your reply, I was thinking probably around april/may time so the eclipse wouldn't interfere.The hotel canada was one that I like the look of, is it near to the beach do you know?
mel.
hi crockergirl...that time of the year is great in Cirali. I love the spring with it's perfect temperatures.
Canada Hotel is a 5 min. walk to the beach and is located in a peaceful valley. Also there are bikes for the guests to use free of charge. A great way to travel and explore Cirali.
If you enjoy walks the village of Cirali is about a 12km loop around the entire village.
Also there are hikes of the Lycian way starting in the valley of Cirali up to Ulupinar and then back down into Chimeara.
The distance from the Antalya airport is actually 100kms.
If you have any questions regarding Cirali let me know and I will try to help. 8)
Thanks caretta,it' sounds just right , I think i'll look at the flights after chrismas and put it on my growing list of places to visit.
mel.
Hi all,

I have found good flight prices to Antalya in September and wondered if anyone has visited cirali. We enjoy the more traditional turkish resort (loved Dalyan last year :lol: ) and would like to try cirali.

Has anybody been and can give me any information or advice on the resort and it's hotels?

Thanks to all in advance.
Hi I have added a bit more information to the previous post about Cirali. Ido hope that you find it useful. 8)

The Chimaera ( ''Yanartas'' - as the locals call it ) is also located at the north end of the village of Cirali. To get the the flames one must either drive 4 kms along the village road to the north end of the village and from there you can walk up the mountain side approx 1 km ( 20 mins ) to visit the flames. This spectacular site is best visited at night or at dusk ( bring your flashlight ) There are ruins also found along the path situated closer to flames. Also there are organized mini-bus tours ( located on the beach ) or you can possibly arrange with your hotel or pansiyon owner for transportation to the flames.

Cirali offers a wide range of accomodations for all budgets ranging from camping, pansiyons, hotels to boutique hotels. Cirali caters to a quieter crowd with only a few local bars playing live turkish music. There are no rewiews for hotels on this web-site but here are some rewiews from other sites.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297966-d610055-r5236015-Canada_Hotel_Cirali_Olympos-Kemer.html

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=997

Here are some helpful web pages for more info about the area.

http://www.ciralirehberi.com/konaklama.asp
http://www.cirali.com.tr
http://www.cirali.org/index_eng.html

For some great day trips outside of Cirali here are some suggestions;

Arykanda

Arykanda is located 26 km. from Turuncova on the Finike-Elmali highway. After leaving the highway it is necessary to walk about 1 km. Arycanda (Arykanda) is a unique Lycian city, built upon five large terraces ascending a mountain slope, and was known for having the most pleasure and entertainment-loving (and debt-ridden) citizens. The city overlooks a magnificent valley and its view makes it one of the most spectacular sites in Lycia.

Arycanda is known to be one of the oldest Lycian sites - its name ends with -anda, indicitive of its Anatolian origin dating back as far as the second millennium BC. Some of the oldest coins of Lycia (5th c. BC were also found here during a recent digging; the site is under continuous excavation.

PHASELIS

Phaselis is reached one km after turning left 57km along the Antalya-Kemer highway. This was settled by the Rhodians in the 7th century B.C. and for many years was claimed to be the most important port city of the eastern Lycian seaboard. Phaselis has three harbours the north, the military protected and the south harbour, of which the most important is the later. A 220-24 m wide avenue runs throughout the city. The western end is the site of Hadrians Gate. On both sides of the avenue are sidewalks and shops. Close to these can be seen the public places like baths, theatre and agora. It is reached by road and also from the sea.

Kekova

Simena is a popular Lycian site, situated upon one of the most attractive spots of the Turkish coast. The name "Kekova" is Turkish for "plain of thyme" and describes the region encompassing the island of Kekova, the villages of Kaleköy and Üçağiz and the three ancient towns of Simena, and Tersane (meaning "shipyard", as its bay was the site of an ancient shipyard, with mostly Byzantine ruins). Both Simena and Teimussa have a large necropolis. Teimussa is now the village of Üçağiz, where boats set off for tours of the area.

Demre / Myra

Situated between Finike and Kas Myra used to be a one of the most important of six Lycian cities. Originally a coastal city the gradual build up of silt from the Demre stream has left it stranded several miles away from the sea.. Myra was abandoned after the Arab invasions in the 9th century A.D. The rock tombs and amphitheatre are worth a visit as is St. Nicholas' church ( Demre ) nearby where the legend of Father Christmas (Santa Claus) is said to have originated
Hi all have just found out how to post pictures on this site. Here is one of the beach of Cirali.

http://www.canadahotel.net/album/images/PICT0006.jpg
Hi, lovely picture, I am going to be in Cavus Bay next week do you know if it is easy to get to Cirali from there as would like to go and spend some time there. Have been on a boat trip to there last year but that was only a short stop. Thanks
Hi lady,

Will you be travelling with a car ?? or need directions by bus ?? Then I can help you with directions to Cirali.
Bye 8)
I hope to catch a bus if this is possible as not to sure about driving over there!! Thanks
Hi Lady,

Really driving would not be a problem and very easy. The highway roads are very good. But if you are going to take a bus it might be a bit more difficult. Here are the directions.

From Cavus Koy take the Olympos dolmus ( public bus ) up to the main highway. About 12-18 kms or so.

Once on the main highway take the public bus in the direction of Antalya ( north ) either Antalya tur, Kumluca tur, or Cicek Tur to the Cirali junction ( about 1 km ) From there you can get the mini-bus service into Cirali. About 7 kms

If you do come please stop in ( at Canada Hotel ) to say hi and a great cup of coffee or tea. Or call me at the hotel I could explain easier over the telephone.

Bye if you have other questions let me know.
Thanks for that, we will give it a try. We will call in if we make it!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.