Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Clothes
18 Posts
Hi Bejay - we went to Malta at Easter last year, and loved it. We only had one day which was nice enough to sunbathe, but we could wear shorts and t shirts most days. I wore linens and a light jacket/cardigan at night and hubby had a fleece. Take an umbrella too - just in case, although we only had one light shower whilst we were there. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. We spent a lot of time on this site before we went - http://www.visitmalta.com/en/webcams
Thanks Helen its many years since we have visited Malta want to do sightseeing this time, just been to Tenerife two weeks ago lazy sun holiday. Think I will take cropped jeans and T shirts for day, maybe an odd strappy top.
We are also going to Malta in 3 weeks after an absence of 35 years!
I am taking a mixture of clothes but the most important thing I am taking is comfortable walking shoes! :rofl
I expect to be sightseeing everyday and my husband wants to visit his old haunts of when he was stationed there when he was in the Army,many many years ago. :tup
yes - comfy shoes/sandals. Not sure what you've done before, but we enjoyed the harbour cruise, Valletta obviously - so much to see and do there, and Marsaloxx. The bus service has improved and all parts of the island are easily accessible by bus now. Where are you both staying?
When I was last there in 1978 I went with my Mother-in law who had actually won the holiday at her bingo. :tup
We stayed in Bugibba and I have just discovered the hotel we stayed at then which was new (The Charella) is now gone and there are now apartments on the site.
We were taken everyday by the company Fairworld all over the Island and to Gozo but I cant remember much about it so we will be going about on the local buses.
I especially want to wander around Valletta and the 3 cities.My husband want to go to Mosta ,Mdina and Rabat as that is where his camp was.
We are staying in Sliema at the Plaza Regency hotel so we can hop on the ferry to Valleta.
Our friends are staying in Bugibba at the same time we are there so will pop up there too.
We are flying from Gatwick as we are spending a few days at our daughters before we go.
I am really looking forward to it and it will be a compete change to our usual holidays in Turkey and Tunisa. :tup :
We stayed at Sliema and loved it - so central to everything. We visited all of these
.My husband want to go to Mosta ,Mdina and Rabat as that is where his camp was.
Well worth visiting :tup
He has a photo taken beside the cannons in Mdina and he wants to have his photo taken there again, :rofl
I remember going there and to Mosta.
He has wanted to go back for years but leaves the booking of holidays up to me so as its a special big 0 birthday I decided on the spur of the moment to book.
I wanted to surprise him with the holiday but he saw me in the travel agents as he passed so came in and the secret was blown! :rofl :rofl
Aww a lovely thought though Jay. :tup

We went to Malta last year and loved it. Would definitely go back. We did all the sights too. I really enjoyed the Malta Experience which you can include a visit to the Knights of St. John hospital. The guide was brilliant and really is worth visiting, it's in Valletta.

We went in May and it was really hot, we found the trips very reasonably priced too. :tup
Its about twenty three years since our last visit 35 since our first. Want to see more this time. Staying at St George Urban Boutique in St Juliens. Trainers will be packed for all the walking. any tips appreciated
I read about a ticket/pass you can buy for admission into some of the historical places.
I must admit I have read every guide book in the library and am now getting a bit confused. :que
I have decided to make a comprehensive list before I go so we dont miss anything.
We are there for 10 days so should manage quiet a lot of sightseeing :tup
Jay the only place we wouldn't bother visiting again is the Hypogeum. You have to prebook anyway as they only allow so many in at one time. You follow a narrow metal bridge type walkway which means that sometimes you can't particularly see what you are being shown as there's a bit of a squash.
If you do get to Mdina, I can thoroughly recommend the food and wine at a small little place called Don Mesquita - superb and everything freshly made. Google it, and you'll see what I mean :tup
Glynis,I have already decided not to visit the Hypogeum as my husband is terribly claustrophobic and would refuse to go.I think every day is full when we are there after checking their website.
Helen, I have already wrote the little restaurant down on my list seeing it on your previous post. :tup
will try that restaurant too Helen like to eat platters or tapas style rather than a full meal thanks
Just back last night, the weather at the moment has been a bit windy however it is starting to warm up, I think you will still need cardigans / jumpers for the evenings as it might be a bit cool.

I can also highly recommend Don Mesquita which is located next to the Mdina Experience, the platter for 2 costs 12 Euro and is very good value.

The local buses are now operated by Arriva and are pretty reliable and modern the best values is to buy an all day ticket that costs 2.60 Euro and you can use it as many times as you want in the day.

Another way to have a tour of the island(s) is to use one of the Hop On / Hop Off tours, there are now a couple of companies operating these tours however I would recommend this one as you get a free harbour cruise included, this cruise can be taken at anytime as long as you keep your ticket so you can then do the harbour tour as part of a Valletta day out. http://www.maltasightseeing.com/EN/content/1

This previous post of mine might also be of some help http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/staying-sliema-t154929.html?hilit=tour#p1564472

Graham
Thanks we go 9thapril looking forward not been for many years . How about day clothing
How about day clothing

:think Mmm, day clothing is the awkward one, most days it should be warm enough for light clothing shorts and polo or t shirt or whatever style you you wear, however, it is still quite early in the season so the weather is a bit changeable particularly the wind which can still be breezy and giving a bit of a chill.
You probably won't need waterer proof jackets as it should be dry however again best to take a light cardigan, jumper or anorak just to give a bit of protection should it be a bit windy.

Remember that if you are going in to a place of worship church etc you should have you shoulders covered so a jumper, cardigan or scarf is useful.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.