Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Okay, I'll try and answer your queries in some kind of order and hope that it helps a little. My granddaughter has been going to Turkey since she was 10 weeks old so we do have some experience of having a little one with us. To be honest, with two little ones needing nappies, I would buy them over there. Okay, it may cost you a little to get into town but you would only need to do it once - nappies and wipes are readily available in the supermarkets. There is a Migros in Turgetreis - and a new one opening in Akyarlar - where you can get supplies. This will save on space in your luggage. Prima nappies in Turkey are the same as Pampers over here, and the Turkish ones are okay as well. In fact, I buy the Turkish wipes over there to take off my make up as well as I find them better than some I have taken over.

The road is a wee bit pot-holey but it's not that bad. There's a steep drop down to the hotel but nothing to worry about.

May isn't too bad for mozzies but they are still around. Use an insect repellent and a plug in in the room - also we always spray our rooms with fly spray before we go out in the evening so that the mozzies have gone when we get back. Mind you, they're nothing like the midges at Loch Lomond (they wear tackety boots and carry spears!!).

You should buy and drink bottled water over there - even the Turkish people do and although they have recently laid pipes to take drinkable water to the peninsula, people say they will still use the bottled water. It's dirt cheap anyway. The problem with the water in Turkey is that it's full of minerals - you should see what it does to kettles and irons and washing machines!!

As for the food in Turkey - we've never had a problem with Chloe (now aged 2) eating anything over there. I think that the problem with all inclusive is that it can get boring and it does tend to stand around a bit. We've eaten everything over in Turkey and have never been ill with it. In Turkey, the vegetables and fruit are absolutely delicious - and so fresh that they taste so much better than over here.

Sorry I can't help much with the hotel as we have a house on the peninsula and live there for six months of the year so don't need to use hotels but if I can help any more, just give us a shout. May is a great time to visit Turkey - lovely and warm but not too hot that you're looking for shade all the time.

Jak xx
Thanks for that, will take enough nappies and wipes to last until we can get to the shop. flight from gatwick is at 7am so I don't think we'll be wanting to go shopping until the day after we arrive. Comment about Turkish wipes has been noted, will probably use Prima nappies rather than risk getting ones that leak.

Pot holey road isn't a problem nor is the steep drop to the hotel.

Will get a plug in insect repellent for our room before we go. The midges at Loch Lomand are evil, worse than the ones in the Lake District with the exception of one section of path which those of us who walked it on D of E nicknamed midge alley.

We're going all inclusive and room will have a mini fridge with soft drinks in it so am hoping that'll include water or water will be in the room. Good to know that food is ok, the girl who told me not to give the girls the hotel food did say to give them fresh fruit.

I've asked the same questions on a couple of other travel websites I go on, someone on one of them suggested I ask on the other.
I agree with Jakki, don't take too many nappies with you and buy them there. Prima are a bit more expensive, other good makes are Molfix, Can Baby or Evy Baby, they are all decent and don't leak. I used to buy them for my baby when I lived out there and they are cheaper than Prima.
Thanks Kedi, will look out for the brands you've suggested. We've not had many nappies leak apart from Huggies once the girls outgrew the prem size (were 6lb 3.5oz & 6lb 1.5oz at birth), were only in them for 10/11 days. Am I right in thinking that Molfix are the non UK name for Huggies?
No, I think Molfix are different - like Kedi, we always use Turkish nappies without any problem.

Jak xx
Molfix aren't Huggies, they are a Turkish brand. You can get Huggies in Turkey too but they are still called Huggies!

My youngest daughter was only 5lb 9oz at birth, those size 0 nappies are teeny tiny aren't they :)
Just a thought about the internet access. I had problems logging into my bank account last year. I found out after trying unsuccessfully several times that the keyboard was different and that ( i ) was somewhere else. Once you have tried the wrong password a few times you get locked out.
Dadooronron wrote:
Just a thought about the internet access. I had problems logging into my bank account last year. I found out after trying unsuccessfully several times that the keyboard was different and that ( i ) was somewhere else. Once you have tried the wrong password a few times you get locked out.

I used to type things wrong all the time when I first moved out to Turkey, it took me ages to get used to the keyboard layout! Then when I came home again I had got used to the Turkish one and got mixed up with the English one :rofl
Where is the i on a Turkish keyboard? That's useful information for me. My interpretation of the person who said they had problems was that his bank account was blocked due to restrictions which the hotel had on what websites can/not be accessed. I'm still thinking that it wasn't the hotel that blocked the bank website but the bank not allowing the man to access his bank account due him using a network that isn't fully secure.

I've had problems when I've tried to use Facebook in the library in town (internet at home was down) and also on the ferry from Belfast-Stranraer.
If I remember rightly, it is where the j is on an English keyboard (on the left of k).

Jak x
cate_taylor wrote:
his bank account was blocked due to restrictions which the hotel had on what websites can/not be accessed

It's more likely the banks security system not allowing access from a foreign IP address.

Darren
You could be right there Dazbo, trying to get on Facebook on the ferry from Stranraer to Belfast, Facebook said I was trying to access it from an IP they didn't recognise. The really annoying thing for me was that part of the security process involved pictures from friend's albums being shown and I had to say which friend it was. Problem for me is that I've over 200 friends on my friend's list, several of which I only know through facebook, they've either sent friends requests as a result of discussions on groups/pages or are friend's of friend's and seen comments I've made on now mutual friend's walls. Got too many wrong as I only look at albums uploaded by friends I know in real life. I later found out that the internet at sea used on the ferry is done by a company based in Norway. Managed to access Facebook in library in town when my internet at home was down for a couple of days, again Facebook asked me to go through a security process which I got through ok.

While in Turkey, I will want to check my emails. if the WIFI in the hotel is free, then my Blackberry should be able to receive them unless my ISP objects to me trying to access my emails from foreign IP address. Is there any way round this?
I use the internet all the time in Turkey - on my netbook, my iPad and my iPhone - and have never had a problem. I use free wifi in a bar where I go regularly. Never had a problem with this and have gone onto Facebook and my bank regularly.

Jak xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.