Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Cockroaches
74 Posts
I like that idea!

I only ever saw 1 cockroach in all the time I've been going to tenerife - and that was last year!
Oh god one year I was standing outside my hotel on a payphone felt something tickling my back, looked at my shoulder and there staring back at me was a MASSIVE cockroach!

LOL, not the best experience. The person I was on the phone to wondered why I was screaming lol.

Although I can say apart from the 4 we saw in one room where we were on ground floor with a massive garden bit, so it was already expected. Apart from that one on my shoulder that is the only ones I have seen too!
I think they are tasty :lol:
Unfortunately my kids are now too old for plasticine, but it's a good idea! Last time we were in PDLA (Aug '05) I was sitting quite happily outside a bar one evening and felt a tickle on my arm - there sat a cockroach the size of a small mouse :shock: It was lucky I'd had a few drinks otherwise I'd have had a nervous breakdown. The streets were literally running alive with them every evening. The best thing to do was to just walk along without looking at the floor or walls... We were on the fifth floor so daughter thought we were safe - I didn't have the heart to tell her they can fly :wink:
I've hardly seen any, and not seen any big ones. They are horrible, and they make my skin crawl, BUT it is part of being in the Canaries; like flies and wasps are in the UK!
It won't ever stop me going to Tenerife.
I like the plasticine idea!!
Do you know that I saw more cockroaches in Sa Coma (Majorca), than I have ever seen in Tenerife.
just be carefull the customs men dont mistake the plastersine for semtex, :lol: :lol: :lol:
bluepeterno1
Has anyone sighted cockroaches in the Hotel Vulcano? I have booked the hotel over the internet, but can I request roms when I call up? Heard the higher floors are better. and yes I iknow those little beasts can fly. Are there any sprays I can use? Where did you put the palstercine? In the bathroom drain? Anything else I can do? Are there really that many in tenerife??

Any reassurange is welcome. They just freak me out :oops:
tenni - we were near the Vulcano last time and as I said, the streets were running alive with them, however that was in August which, I believe, is the worst time for them. The Vulcano is a lovely hotel with a good reputation. If you request a high floor I'm sure they'll do their best for you and if you do have any problems just tell reception and they'll probably spray your room. You can buy good sprays from the local supermarket if you want to spray the room yourself.
There is quite a long thread about cockroaches from a while ago CLICK HERE
Tenni, we have just returned from the Vulcano and not a cockroach in sight, we have stayed there on many occassions (but in Feb, April and October) and have never seen any in the streets either. You'll have a fab time, it's a wonderful hotel, we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Tenerife.
stayed in many hotels many times in tenerife ,and only ever seen one cockroach (well two counting the cockny time share tout who tried to con me ) suppose its just your luck ,dont worry be happy

bluepeterno1
Have been travelling regularly to Tenerife for 23 years and only ever seen a few.
Tenni

All the Canaries have cockies by the score
Call it my wicked sense of humour but not one of the bars offers entertainment better than watching my missus run round the hotel room at 3 in the morning splattering cockies with one of my size tens.
If you let insects spoil your holiday you best spend your future hols going to Bogner.
You have chosen a wonderful hotel, enjoy it
Hi all

thanks a lot for all replies. Wooltonian, I know you are right. The only problem is that in this case I will be the missus running screaming around the hotel room at 3 in the morning :D.

I will really try not to let them spoil our holiday, but if there is anything | can do to avoid having to try in the first place, that would be great.

:oops:

Sorry,l don't mind other insects but these really freak me out.
my missus is no different Tenni.
Nowadays we turn it into a competition.
I give her 10 euro for every one she kills in the room.
She will either get a 10 bob rolex off the beach or a real one at the end of the holiday.
Which do you think she would prefer ?

Honest, dont give it a thought, you are staying in one of the best places and the staff will do all they can to reduce inconvenience.

We're going on the 3rd April for a fortnight.
We are staying in a place that has been called "Cockroach Central" by some. Will let you know what it was like when we get back
hehe..ok will do. Thanks Wooltonian. Do let me know how the cockroach central was and if it was bad>>> Is it close to the Vulcano? :D
I once (for a short time) looked after a bar in Puerto Santiago, Tenerife. I got a call one day to say that the cockroach man was coming to spray etc so the next day there I was nice and early to open up. In came the man carrying a machine that looked like a cross between a space invaders death ray gun and a strimmer with a petrol engine on it.

After spreading a gel in all the nooks and crannies he declared it was time to treat the roof space and the ceiling air con units..... was the ceiling space sealed off from the other shop units on either side? ... I called the owner and he assured me they were.

So up he climbed and started up his machine.... copious clouds of gas poured into the roof space and in about 3 minutes there were cockroaches falling out every where desperately trying to get away........

Then, the doors of the Bank next door burst open and out came the manager, the staff and about 10 customers.....coughing fit to burst, eyes streaming and the most atrocious language..... needless to say I was left to explain what had happened as the man had disappeared with his machine!!!!

I refer this as '' The day Grant gassed the bank'' :)
I refer this as '' The day Grant gassed the bank''

:rofl Oh dear...! When we were in Turkey last August there was a problem with mosquitos and one night we were all sitting in the hotel bar outside and there were big clouds of stinky smoke - the entertainments manager had to explain to us all not to worry, it was fumigation and we would all sleep comfortably that night... :shock: Funnily enough, didn't see any cockroaches in Turkey, but you just have to accept them as part of life in the Canaries, just as we have big spiders in the bath at home :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.