General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cockroaches
59 Posts
Strange question really i think. Do you have to kill them? :roll:
If i ever see cockroaches while im abroad, i just pop them in a glass and give them their freedom! :shock: :wink:
After all, they live there, you dont! :P :wink: (do other people think im
mad doing this!?)
Step on them.

Would salt kill them? it kills most other insects.
Boric Acid kills ants and woodlouce instantly, so it would kill cockroaches.

get some of that.

or take a blow torch.
A can of Raid..Ant and Cockroach killer.
Best to go into a local supermarket and get whatever insect spray they have there. You know that a 'local' spray will be strong enough to despatch 'local' pests :wink:
You shouldn't step on them incase it is a female and you then have eggs on the bottom of your shoe which you'll tranfer to other areas....so I was told in Greece. :?
This post has had me shuddering with revulsion - I HATE cockroaches, more than any other beastie on this earth. They are the only insect I've experienced that run towards you, not away from you - eeeeuuuuuwwww.
We used to live in a sub-ground level apartment in Turkey, and I bought the local "Raid" cans, and sprayed the whole house every single evening before we went to work. It worked, cos there was usually a couple of cockroach carcasses lying dead on the floor when we got home.

I would never step on a cockroach to kill it - the crunchy noise make me heave (and you've got to clean up the mess afterwards as well :yuck ). I would also never choose to live in a sub-ground level place ever again.

Elaine
Oh cockroaches knock me sick :yuck , I hate them. I too have been told NEVER to step on them as you have the eggs on your shoes and may take them home with you, dread the thought.

One year in Gran Canaria my boyfriend used to chase them round the apartment trying to set them alight with a can of deodorant.

In Jamaica I phoned reception and asked them to come and spray our room, which they did and I never saw another after that.

Never saw a single one in Dom Rep, Iberostar hotel I stayed at and the management were constantly spraying all the time which was great!
My friend just came back from Cyprus and said that he saw quite a few of them in his hotel room, but he was on ground level. Coming from Jamaica that is nothing to him.

I hate those things. One as in my brandy glass in India, dead. I nearly drank it with the brandy, had I not looked first before I was about to take my last swig. I then searched the whole room for about an hour, and quickly sobered up.

They are disgusting, seeing them would easily make me consider moving hotel. Give me spiders, ants, daddy long legs, mozzies, just not the dreaded roaches.
Oh, and don't think that you're safe requesting a high room/floor....they can fly - but don't do so very often.....

atb,J.
We had ants in our ground floor room in Mallorca some years ago so got some pwder from reception.
Next morning all the ants were dead, but so were hundreds of massive cockroaches that had come in to eat the dead ants :shock:

Why is it that foreign insects are so much bigger than ours :?:
When we stayed in Playa de las Americas a few years ago, there was a BIG cockroach :yuck in our apartment-we were on the 2nd floor.
As we had 2small children at the time, my hubby tried to kill it by whacking it with his shoe - but no matter how many times he whacked it, it kept running away! :shock:
Their bodies are made of armour, must be!
In the end, he threw it off our balcony-dont know where it went :roll:
I read somewhere once, that cockroaches would be the only living creature to survive a nuclear war-i can well believe it! :? :wink:
thanks guys so its not just me thats paranoid about them, and no noramlly I don't go round hammering the life out of things I have a bug catcher at home for spiders etc and free them. but these guys are different and Im holidaying alone for the first time soon so theres no one to call on for help (yes pathetic female I know) so I want a spray to arm myself with. I checked out the Raid and I think I'll take a couple of cans with me.
thanks for the posts and the help!
Ahlem
Use the local spray. We bought some in Gran Canaria 2 years ago and the effect was instant.

For ants Nippon is very effective so take some with you. Just put it a few drops on the walls around your balcony etc. Nippon contains Boric Acid and a substance which attracts the ants. This makes the substance stick to the ant's antennae and they carry it back to the nest. The queen becomes smothered with the Nippon and the Boric Acid suffocates her. End of nest!
Boric Acid will kill a roach by suffocating it but it is a white powder (like all our products) so customs may ask a few questions if they see you with a few grams of the stuff!!!!! :lol: :whoops :lol:
Forgot to mention---- I work for the main company that mines the stuff! :wink:
Helen
I've experienced flying cockroaches 1st hand.YUK,it makes me shudder even now to think of it.
We were staying at Observation City,a lovely hotel,in Scarborough,West Australia.We decided to go for a late night swim in the beautiful outside pool.BUT WE WER'NT ALONE :!: as we got into the pool,we noticed lots of black things floating on the top,as I swam to see what the were,something landed on my head :yikes ,as I looked around,there were literally dozens of flying cockraoches flying into the pool,needless to say,We didn't continue with our swim,and up till then,I never knew the horrible things flew.GROSS :!:
I had one crawl off my sheet one morning when I got up, not sure how long it had been in bed with me :cry: after that I take spray on holiday with me and spray the room from floor to ceiling every day.

I hate them
I am lucky, my friend I go away with does not mind creapy crawlies. She just picks them up and puts them outside :lol:
Debbie,

You have just made me feel sick :yuck , I couldn't think of anything worse.

I love going on holiday and accept that in hot countries there will be cockroaches and the like but the thought of them just makes me cringe :twisted: :!:
Ok, I wasn't going to reply to this but thought I'd better pass on this useful bit of info. The man from the council (don't ask why I needed to speak to him) said that if you go to a country where you know there are cockroaches, make sure that before you pack to go home you check your case thoroughly for cockroaches and their eggs. He also recommended that you spray your case with insect spray a couple of days before you go so that you kill any nasties. I know I normally stuff my cases under a bed or on top of a wardrobe when I'm away, and this is a prefect spot for a roach to make itself comfy and get a free ride back to the UK :yuck
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.