General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cockroaches
59 Posts
would it be wise to take a can of raid with me to the Dominican next week??????????

I hate cockroaches and spiders and I'm travelling alone :shock:

samx
Well I can buy stuff like that very cheaply in Goa so I'll get some when I'm there. Not sure what the situation is like in the Dominican price wise, so it might be worth taking some with you. As advised by the chap from pest control - keep giving your case a quick spray a day or 2 before you are due to leave and then give it a really good shake before you start to pack anything.

Enjoy your holiday :)
Thanks for the reply....... :D

I'm going to get a large can to take with me, but I was also wondering is it ok to put spray cans in your luggage that goes in the hold or do you have to carry them in your hand luggage?????

samx
also, does the Raid stuff kill big hairy spiders...... :shock:
At the moment there are less on the Costa del Sol due to the time of year.
Although the mozzies are out in force as the evenings become damper.

I am posting this from the Costa del Sol, where I have been for the last two weeks.
I come home on Sunday morning :cry: and up to now (Friday night) I havent seen ONE cockroach here, anywhere. :oops: :D
I have got three bites and I got them from the beach this afternoon.

I have been a little nervous and have had my hubby checking under\in the beds every night and I have left the bathroom light on in the apartment all night....there has been nothing, not even a spider :D (thank god!!!)

Besos xxx
sanJi
Ergh, horrible horrible things. My grandparents live in Benalmadena in Spain, and many a time has my mother ran out of the kitchen screaming bloody murder because one has crawled out. I don't know what my dad did with them though.

The reason cockroaches can live for a week without their head is because their brain isn't situated in their head, its spread out all over its body. It dies of starvation, nothing else. And yes, their shelled armour is extremely strong, some types can hold the weight of a little boy standing on them. Yuck.

I'm going to Cyprus in July and I'm starting to have flashbacks of cockroaches scuttling across the apartment floor :cry:
Hi i didn't think people were scared of them as much as me untill i read this thread, i never look for them at home but the minute i get to spain i start.

I only ever book apartments that are new, as have stayed in old buildings and seen them, thats it for me then, i'm looking for them all the time :cry:
i can't sleep at night and won't go to the toilet untill morning just incase i see one in the bathroom,i was chased by a waiter with one in Tenerife and i run for my life, if people know your scared they try to frighten you more :x

My problem this year is, i have tried to book an apartment (new) but none available for my dates, the only one i can get is quite old, i told the agent that i was scared of cockroaches, but he told me he had not seen any and nobody had reported seeing any. The apartment is on the second floor, but wait for it...... it's over the top of a bakers :cry:

so what do i do take a chance and book it, or not go, then i think to myself why should i let them spoil my holiday, but i know if i get there and see one i'll be an hysterical wreck.

please let me know what you would do?
Oh my god,

I thought i had it bad in grand canaria when my boyfriend chased one around our room for about an hour! It hid upside down under the bed, played dead as well as chased us! I hate the things, we eventually got it and with a little commotion with a sweeping brush we got him! :wink:

Let me tell you they come out in force at night over there and i slept with the cover over my head in the hottest weather just for fear that one may crawl in my mouth! :(

I wish someone would invent something to wipe them all out! :hyper
I am staying at the Bristol Playa in September and have heard reports that there can be cockroaches in your room, I cannot stand the things. Does anybody have any tips on how to keep them away, I have heard of some powder or a spray that you can buy, what do you do with it.

Any tips are grateful!!!!!
do you mean the bristol playa in fuerteventura- is thats the case we stayed there and had no probs with bugs of any kind. had a lovely holiday.
i have read lots of reviews, and a couple have said they had cockroaches, just want to know that if I am unlucky enough to have an apartment which is subspecable to them, how to stop them coming in, especially as after a night out when I may be a bit "wobbly" and will not want to deal with them.
Keep lights on at night, they don't like the light.
Hi guys,
I am lucky enough to have never seen a cockroach but am absolutely petrified at the thought of seeing one.I am off to Costa Teguise at the end of August and staying in Los Carmenes apartments, although there isn't much mentioned in the reviews, could anyone who's stayed here before shed any light as to whether or not I should expect a visit from the freaky beasts??!! Also ANY tips on how to kill/prevent them would be amazin and greatly appreciated!!
Cheers now.
xx
Personally I've found that although the Canaries in general are rife with Cockroaches.......apparently very natural habitat for them :?:

Lanzarote out of all the Canaries in my opinion has been the best for not seeing them......can't say the same for Tenerife :?

As soon as you get there visit the local supermarket and they sell a fantastic spray in a green & red can (can't remember the name) you can spray the critters with it and/or spray along the underside of the doors and windows as it prevents them coming in.

Top tip.........leave the light on in the bathroom/toilet through the night if your prone to getting up in the night as they don't like the light :roll:
Now my experience is totally the opposite. I have visited Lanza once and the place was over run with them yet I have been travelling to Tenerife two or three times a year for 23 years and have probably seen three or four in total during all that time.

Becki - Sorry to tell you this but when we visited Lanza we stayed in Costa Teguise :yikes

Rgds Jackie
hi beckie,
we have stopped in ct 4 times and have not seen one.(got a tiny lizard, which is said to be lucky).
just have a great time, we always have the bathroom light on.
We have seen them in Costa Teguise when we've been in June and in August. We saw many more of them in Playa de las Americas last August. Spray your room (especially the door frames and window frames) with a strong insect repellant, leave your lights on when you go out in the evening, leave your bathroom light on all night and if you're in a ground-floor apartment (more cockroaches on the ground floor) put a rolled-up towel at the bottom of your door, this is supposed to stop them coming in. You may want to spray the insides of your wardrobe and suitcases a day or two before coming home, so you don't bring any home with you... :wink:
HI all, back in January i posted on here as i was worried about an apartment i had booked for August.......... well just got back and can honestly say i never saw one in our apartment, and i had a good look all the time :wink: but did see a few around Benidorm in the evenings, we saw one outside a Restaurant and a Spanish lady came up to see what we were looking at, and just stamped on it :shock: it was sooooooo big that she nearly slipped as all this gunge splurted out...... won't forget that.

I would never go back to Tenerife because of Cockroaches, whilst we were there it was running alive, our apartment, the streets and flying ones, that was 10 years now and we had to change apartments and my boyfriend used to give me a piggy back home in the evenings, because you couldn't walk without nearly stepping on one :yikes
Ive posted this on Lanza forum but had no luck. Having read the reviews of the costamar aparthotel in playa de los pocillos I am now getting worried that we are going to see cockroaches, as quite a few of the reviews (last one was march 06) state that the rooms are over run by them. We are going a week sunday :pele so if anyone has stayed there recently or even in that area please either put my mind at rest or confirm my fears!! :yikes
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.