Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Cologne Hotels
23 Posts
Hi.....I stayed in the Hopper Et Cetera just off the Rudolphplatz...It is a converted Monastery and was ideal for a short break...Reasonably priced and in a good area of the City....It is a fairly small hotel and 3 star but Highly recommended......
https://www.accomline.com/
http://www.hopper.de/etcetera/englisch/flash/etcetfla_eng.html

Try these to have a look
Thank you Dean. Will check the links out
We stayed in Holiday Inn Express Muelheim. It's a 10-15 min tram ride, but we got a great price on the room £30 including breakfast.

We also looked at the Crowne Plaza and it looked much more convenient. Kind of wished we'd stayed there.

http://www.hiexpress.co.uk

this website has HI express and crowne plaza on it. Cheapest to book direct.
Thanks Lesley. Crowne Plaza cannot accomodate us on out dates, so will give the Holiday Inn a try. By the way, well done getting to 5 stars.
Holiday Inn express is fine....bit inconvenient but great price!

There's an intercontinental too, and the price wasn't over the top if I remember rightly. It's also bookable on the holiday inn website, although you have to tick the intercontinental box when searching.

I've been using the forums on here for quite a while! I use various forums and we like to travel quite a lot, so it wasn't too hard for me to clock up stars!
Hi all,

hubby and I have just booked a mid-week city break to Cologne in October - flying with Germanwings from Stansted. We are primarily going to watch the NBA live tour so our evenings will be spent watching basketball. Any recommendations for the day - we are staying right in the centre of town by the Cathedral.

Thanks

Tracy
You could take a walk down the Rhine, or a boat trip, you could visit the Gestapo Museum which is interesting but a bit scary, or the Chocolate Museum where you see them making chocolate, or you could simply wander round the city bars drinking Kolsch and munching Bierwurst, alternatively you could catch a train to Dusseldorf which is about an hours journey, Koln is a really nice city and the Cathedral is a must, the tourist office is very close to the railway station and they have tunnes of info in there, there is also a tourist trail marked out in big orange footprints that you could follow the brochures for this are available in the tourism office if you e-mail them off the website they will send you a full info pack http://www.stadt-koeln.de/en/koelntourismus/ anyway hope this is of benefit to you.

Regards
Sliema2
Thanks Sliema2.

Beer and chocolate. Sounds perfect - something for both me and the other half.

Tracy
does anyone know how far the airport is from cologne city centre and has anyone stopped at the best western hotel koln also is it expensive to eat and drink

*edit to amend title from 'how far' to above Briar
I know from the limited amount of research i have done for our October trip than the airport is 15km from the city centre. You can get a taxi which costs approx 25 euros or take the S-Bahn train line ( S-13) from the airport right into the city. The trains run every 30 mins, take 18 mins and cost 2.1 euros per person.

That best western hotel is a bit outside the main city centre - it is 5 km from teh Cathedral for example so you will need to make use of the excellent tram system to get into town.

This is what tripadvisor says about the location of the hotel.

Edited for copyright reasons as material from other websites may not be reproduced without permission. Please feel free to post a link to the relevant webpage instead.
David HT Mod
Flandrischer Hof through Hotels.com, very comfortable, just off central but with plenty of bars and restaurants in surrounding area, stayed there last year and would definitely stay again.
Stayed at Flandrischer Hof last November on my daughters hen do, we had brill time, if you go to the entrance (at the back not where u enter on checkin) turn left, walk right down to where traffic lights are, cross over (to the right), theres a street there with an irish bar and some more bars, we as a group of 21 women had a ball.
Sharon
We stayed in the Hotel Dorint a couple of times and it was fantastic! 5* Brilliant rooms although the first time we had very noisy air con. The breakfasts are out of this world - everything you can think of! Service brilliant - pool, restaurants etc. and within 5-10 min walk from main centre. Definately would go back there again!
Can anyone recommend a 3 or 4 star hotel in central Cologne.

Thanks in advance
I can recommend the Hotel Crystal - here's the link: http://www.hotelcristall.de/index_set.php?br=1&lang=lang_en.php

U2fan
Sorry - I meant Hotel CRISTALL!
I think we stayed in the City Hotel. A very good, central hotel, & very reasonably priced.
We're staying at the Flandrischer Hof in November as well- sounds ideal from all the reviews.
There is a Comfort hotel in the centre of Cologne - only a few minutes if that from the Cathedral. Not too pricey, and good breakfasts. Do try the local beer 'Kolsch' in ladylike helpings (0.2l) and have a few of them at a time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.