Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Janet, I have already merged your previous post with an existing topic on Cologne which may have some information.

luci :wave
Since there have been no ideas so far I'll offer one...

I've never stayed in Cologne but if I was going to I would start by looking at http://www.hrs.de - when it loads you can change language from the selection next to the Login button at the top right. When you enter Cologne (or Köln) it may offer a list of places, select the one in Nordrhein-Westfalen.

HRS are useful because their users grade hotels after they have stayed there, look for those with green markers next to the star rating. If you book through HRS you pay nothing up front, you pay the hotel when you are there, and can usually cancel for free until the day before the booked arrival.

The bad news is that not only is Cologne relatively expensive for Germany but the average rating is not high.

Addresses shown as Altstadt, Zentrum and Innenstadt should be within walking distance of the market. There is a cluster of hotels in the Bresslauerplatz area, this is around the back door of the main station (the front door is across the road from the cathedral). Deutz is the area across the river near the exhibition centre, possibly walkable if it isn't raining (it always is when I'm there).

If you are flying there, especially if you have a late arrival or early departure, one of the airport hotels may be an idea. The Ibis at the airport has a rack rate around half the price of the same group in the city centre. Trains from the city centre run until around half past midnight.
What a lot of good information Steve thanks.....Was thinking of a Christmas market myself (have done Prague and Krakow) so the German ones were the next option. However I've snooped around and they all seem so complicated to get to with budget flights.

Might have a day trip to York instead :lol:
Glynis

I used to have to stay in York for work on a regular basis - Cologne looks better value!

Incidentally, anyone thinking of Cologne market in connection with Cologne airport cheap flights could consider one of the small touristy towns south of Bonn (where there is also a market) and travel in for the day. Much better value!

Steve
Thanks Steve your advice is much appreciated :D
It might be on interest to people considering a trip to Cologne for the Xmas markets to consider flying into Dusseldorf airport rather than Cologne/Bonn if prices to Cologne seem quite expensive with airlines. There is a superb station beneath Dusseldorf airport with a few trains each hour being able to whisk you to Bonn or Cologne Hauptbahnhof stations in around 30 minutes.

Nivsy
Indeed Judith....forgot about mentioning that. Am myself heading to Koln again later this month to see friends and am using Dusseldorf on this occasion.

Nivsy
I'm guessing from the mention of weekend that the above link was supposed to go to the Schönes Wochende Ticket (up to 5 people on regional trains for €30). In fact you don't need it because the journey would be within the state of Nord-Rhein Westfalen so a SchönerTagTicket Nordrhein-Westfalen would do. It's only 50c cheaper but is valid every day (only after 09:00 on Mondays to Fridays).

The normal fare on trains which accept either of the above is only €9.30 so there may not be any point unless there is a group of 4 or 5 or if more travel is intended on the same day.
I stayed in this hotel for the Christmas markets Dec 05
http://www.drei-koenige-hotel.de/enHome.html

Its so close to the main train station that the taxis wouldn't take us. Its very reasonably priced and I would definatly go again. Just for the record, went to Berlin for markets last year and they have so many more markets than Cologne. However I wouldn't hesitate in going back to Cologne another time.
Thanks All. We have got good flights to Cologne with Easyjet and the times are good also. We have booked the Ibis Cologne Centrum/Ibis Cologne Barbarossaplatz so if anyone has stayed there I would be grateful for any tips, best rooms, etc. I would also be grateful for any tips on best places to eat - thanks :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.