UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi Alison

My partner and I took my sister and elderly father about four years ago. I am sorry to say that it was dreadful. We only went for a day trip and the queue to get near the coach parking place was miles long. We arrived about lunchtime and went for something to eat straight away which was just as well as everywhere became so full that there were queues outside each eating place.

We have been to Lincoln for a long weekend before and loved the city.

However, at Christmas, because the streets are so narrow and steep, everyone is made to use them as a one-way system and there are wardens around to make sure that you don't go the wrong way. The streets were so packed that you couldn't get from one side of the street to the other to look in the shop windows.

The market itself is in the Castle grounds and is OK but not brilliant.

Having said all that, this was four years ago and things may have changed but it's not a trip I would repeat to check out.

Sorry to put a damper on your idea, but from my experience it is not a trip I would recommend. If you are staying for a long weekend it may be as well to visit everywhere very early before all the day trippers arrive.
Thanks - I did wonder if that would be the case as Worcester gets over crowded - again all narrow back streets. Its usually quiet on the Fri as it starts at 12pm when a lot of people are at work. I went one Sat and couldnt move - was a case of fighting your way to the stalls :evil:

I also like the Good Food Show at the NEC in Birmingham - but the crowds there get silly and you cant move then all the trains are crammed full to get home. Cant decide if I should go this year? Prob not worth the stress!

Will try and get the Fri off to go to Worcester as its only 1/2 hour away so can escape if it gets too much! Will plan a trip to Lincoln another time?

Thanks Alison :D
Why not join the revellers at the Colmar Christmas Market in Eastern France - lots to see, from the traditional to the tacky!! - and within easy reach of Basel/Mulhouse airport - Easyjet from Luton, Stansted, Liverpool.

There is relatively cheap accommodation in Colmar town centre itself - Etap hotel, Kyriad hotel, Ibis, Hotel Primo 99 - and you'll find the crowds not too overwhelming, not least because the market runs all through December.

Come and enjoy the 'hot wine' and bredela (small seasonal biscuits) and bring back happy memories with your presents.

OK so it's not Lincoln, but we do have our own Cathedral (St Martin's Collegiate Church) and plenty of castles on the hillsides! It might also be less wet ??????
Thanks sounds good that, will see what time i can get off work - as if i only get my regular sat/sun it wont be long enough :(

Alison :D
Theres a travel inn on canwick hill about a few minutes drive or taxi away from the centre, its about £45 a night but you know what youre getting with a travel inn!

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
anyone coming this weekend
only round the corner from me
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.