UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Lincoln
25 Posts
Just wondering, is the caravan park next to RAF Waddington?

I lived in Lincoln for ten years and loved it there!

Lincoln is lovely for a bit shopping, and the castle and catherdral are lovely places to visit. There are some lovely shops up Steep Hill which is by the castle and cathedral.
Hi Kay
I am sure that is the one?
It is a Hoseaseons Park (waiting for their brochure).
Hubby and son will be wanting to go fishing in the Lake so I was hoping I could do some retail therapy. :rofl
If there is a castle that will be a lovely day out.
Hope to book by the weekend.
Thanks for the reply.
Irene
Hello Irene
As you know from OTL I live in Lincoln.
As Kay says
the castle and cathedral are lovely places to visit
There is also the Museum of Lincolnshire Life and a separate Museum.The area around the Brayford is attractive and has lots of eateries and a Cinema.There is a Theatre.
We do have a fair selection of shops I suppose but a lot of them are out of the City centre.
There are some nice fashion shops and touristy shops and cafes in the Cathedral Quarter.
If you want to go out of Lincoln it is about 40 miles to the coast and also less than an hour away there is Grantham, Newark and Gainsborough.
If I can help you further please get in touch.
Sue
Sue
Thank you for all the information, there is definately plenty to see and do by the sound of it.
We are not sure whether we will book for 1 week or 5 days (I prefer 5 days as it will give me some time at home).
Thanks again.
Irene
Hubby has found another caravan park - Old Leake Caravan park and is considerably cheaper than the original one we looked at so just wondering if anyone had been there?
The one next to the RAF base had fishing facilities but thinking about it October can be cold and hubby and son say they are not that bothered if they didn't go fishing as there is plenty of other thing to do in the area.
Thanks Irene
Hi Irene, I don`t mean to put you off, but Old Leake is taking you a fair way from Lincoln. It`s not far from where we live, in Boston, and you wouldn`t be more than about 20 minutes drive from Skegness,which may well suit your son, although it doesn`t have much going for it as regards retail therapy, neither does Boston at the moment, too many closed down shops, but plenty of fishing opportunities, and Boston Stump, the parish church, is well worth a visit, as is the Guildhall, where the Pilgrim Fathers were held prisoner. We also have good markets on Wednesday and Saturday.
I forgot to mention that the Parrot Sanctuary at Friskney is well worthy of a visit, and there`s also the Battle of Britain Flight to see at RAF Coningsby.
Hi
Thanks for your replies.
How long does it take to drive to Lincoln? We are only visiting for 5 days so I was thinking a day in Skegness (never been), a day in Lincoln to see the Cathedral/Castle and a bit of shopping and then anything else of interest in the area?
Irene
From Boston itself, it takes us between 45 minutes and an hour to get to Lincoln. But at the moment , Boston is terribly congested due to extensive roadworks, causing major delays, so from Old Leake you may be quicker in the long run going into Skegness and taking the A158 into Lincoln.
Sorry, I missed the bit about places of interest in the area. As I said previously, the Parrot Sanctuary at Friskney is great, but I don`t know how you feel about parrots! Then there`s a working windmill in Boston, the Maude Foster windmill on Horncastle Road, the traffic problems shouldn`t affect a visit to there too much. Then there`s Freiston Shore for bird watching, a farm museum along the road towards Skegness, Gibraltar Point wildlife reserve not far out of Skegness, beautiful beach there, but in October I wouldn`t expect you`ll be heading for the beach! Whatever you decide, have a good break!
Hi
Maybe we would be better going with our original choice of Tattersall Caravan Park (next to RAF base) - it is rather large though and we liked the look of the one at Old Leake as it was smaller - decisions...............
Lincoln looks like it would be better all round for the shops, Castle, Cathedral etc.
Thanks for your input and will let you know what we decide.
Irene
Ah, Tattershall Caravan Park? I was under the impression you were thinking of one next to RAF Waddington, Tattershall is near to RAF Coningsby, you`d be very close by if you wanted to visit the Battle of Britain Memorial flight, and it`s a very nice area around there. Are you taking a touring caravan or renting a static?
There`s also a nice pub near there, the Prattinton Arms, haven`t been for a while, but they used to do great food.
Actually, there`s a rather nice caravan park just before you get into Boston, about 3 miles outside at Hubberts Bridge,
http://www.orchardpark.co.uk
It`s outside Boston on the Lincoln side, so unless you were to go into Boston you would avoid all the traffic holdups, and you`d be within 45 minutes to an hour`s drive to Lincoln, and there`s fishing on site as well.
I am a bit confused now - have let hubby do the groudwork, it is definately the Tattersall site he has been looking at - we are renting a static or hope to?
Have just sent an email to Orchard Park as it looks just what we are looking for. Thanks for the link.
Irene
You`re welcome! Because we live in the area we`ve not stayed there, but some relatives have camped there, in a tent, and loved it.
At last.......booked the caravan park for our 'mini' half term break - Tattersall Park Country Club.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Irene
I hope you have a brilliant break.
Not long until our break to Lincoln. :D
Not sure what route to take from Merseyside?
Looked at AA route planner and it suggest several routes. Arrival at caravan not before 4pm so want to do some sight seeing on route and the closer to Lindon th better - any ideas people?
Thanks Irene
If your route takes you up the A1 at all, Stamford is a nice town with lots of beautiful old stone buildings, Georgian, I think? And Burghley House is neat there as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.