Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
For what it's worth, in my opinion, Colva is in the main a holiday resort for Indian tourists - there does always seem to be a busy atmosphere about the place but it never strikes me as 'clean' - especially the small water way that you go over on a bridge to get to the beach - that smells! There are plenty, again in my opinion nice places to go from Colva: Betalbatim, Majorda, Benaulim, Cavelossim to name a few.

Regards

Hemingway.
I agree with last remarks. Colva was very busy when I was there but a short stroll down the beach (15mins) to Benaulim is your best bet.

There's a great Indian restaurant which is usually frequented by locals and Indians ... forgot it's name Sagar???... very cheap but the real deal.... North Indian Veg and Non Veg.
Hi

Stayed in Colva in Jan this year and I agree with hemingway its an indian resort and I too think its dirty- I am amazed that the indian who go there on holiday put up with the rubbish/smell etc. Once away from the bridges the beaches are very quiet and we too eat/drank in some very good shacks. Also as stated if u like walking this ideal location to stroll to next village etc. We walked from Colva to Cavelossim one of the days and it took 3.30 hrs but was lovely and there was a couple of very chilled Kings waiting for us. ;) There is very little traffic on the main street (most of the time) which makes a change not having to take your life in your hands to cross the road.

We are in Goa in March and will probably have a couple of days in Colva

Hope this helps

Jules
It's Sagar Kinara neil, and I'd recommend it as well.
As to Colva, it's like Marmite, love it or hate it, yes indian tourists outnumber the europeans, there are lots of unpretentious places to eat, it's scruffy, I didn't find the small waterway smelly in march, but know it can be at times.
I think it's a good base to discover south Goa, as hemingway mentioned, lots of other beaches are within easy walking distance.
I could well be the only one :D , but I like Colva :really
x lassi
Thankyou all for your opinions been very helpful. Not too worried about it being dirty as we will only use as a base, we're staying at the Skylark so hoping the hotel is clean.

Looking forward to walking to Cavasolim, as we usualy stay in the north usualy walk into Panjim from candolim/calangute, can you walk from Colva to Margoa, I know you can catch the bus also from Colva to Palolim do youhave to go from margoa or can you catch a bus from Colva?.

Thanks
AJ
Hello AJ :wave:
I think you have made a good choice, with the Skylark, we stayed there in March, and yes it's very clean. I put my review in the hotel section, also some photos of the hotel and area, in the Goa album, Colva page.
There's no way I would walk to Margao, with the way they drive and no footpaths, but if you've walked from Calangute/Candolim to Panjim, you must know what it's like. But I'd rather use the packed buses, there is a good service to Margao every 20-30mins during the day. To get to Palolem you will need to go to Margao first, but for Cavelossim take the Margao bus to Benaulim Maria Hall, and change bus there
Best wishes lassi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.