Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
cooler bags
21 Posts
hi i have took one before now to tenerife but we put it in a bag and took it on plane we dont bother take much now as its just as cheap over there where are you staying the mercadona supermarkets are good also trebol
from sue
We are staying in las floritas playa de las americas, I know that there is a spar just around but i don't know were the supermarkets you mention are.

Nic
the spar around the corner from you will have everything you need for your holiday.

We've now given up on taking food abroad, it is much to cheap to eat out.
I definitely wouldn't bother taking food in a cool bag, there are plenty of supermarkets in PDLA, and "local" brands of most products are very reasonably priced. Obviously, if you want your Kellogs cereals and Flora spread then you'll pay silly prices, but it's worth giving the local brands a go. Meals out aren't too expensive either.
With all the restrictions on luggage nowadays, it's just too much hassle to take a coolbag :wink:
Also there are issues about what you can and cannot take to Tenerife. Better not to bother
Don't bother if they don't confiscate it at this end they possibly will at the other

Food is available in Tenerife their diet is similar to ours

You may not get English bacon or cheese but HEY the rest of the world manages without them

You may even like Spanish cornflakes
It really depends on if you want to take it as hand luggage and what you want to take in it. If you take it as hand luggage you would not be able to take another bag on to the plane with you. I'm not sure if there is still a ban on regarding taking Dairy and Meat products out of the UK because of foot and mouth disease, I travelled a few weeks ago and the ban was still in force and of course there is still a ban on taking liquids over 100mls.
I know some people who are staying in apartments and arriving late at night want to take a few supplies with them to tide over until the shops open but at the moment your options are pretty limited.
  • Edited by Judith 2007-11-12 00:08:55
The ban on liquids in hand luggage applies to containers with a volume in excess of 100mls. With regard to cool bags, any ice or gel packs would not be permitted in hand luggage. For more details on current hand luggage restrictions, please click on the link in my signature below.

David :wave
Sorry I meant 100mls , I've corrected it.
Can you take breakfast cereal and small tin of tuna etc. in hand luggage?
Yes you can, no problem it just means less room for your clothes. :lol: :lol:
You can buy cereal and tuna here you know :lol:

Just a word of warning, prior to moving here we travelled during the last foot and mouth outbreak and security were taking ALL food stuff off passengers prior to passport control wether it was dairy/meat products or not
Plus if you are staying in las floritas jock has the whiskey jar who do really good/cheap brekkies :D
Tuna is so cheap why bother If you want UK cereals they maybe slightly dearer than the UK or you could try local ones

Be adventurous you are in a foreign country

If I had my way I would ban all British breakfast food
Spanish bacon is so much better than the stuff we eat in the UK
I think we are getting carried away giving unasked for advice as to what NIC1979 should or shouldn't eat when in Spain. The questions asked were about cooler bags or whether tuna and cereal could be carried in hold luggage not what is available in Spanish supermarkets. We don't know the dietary requirements of either of the two posters so why give probably unwanted advice..
  • Edited by Judith 2007-11-13 17:05:47
Because it is an open forum and others peoples opinions count as well as your own.
Thanks for all the posts. I just wanted to bring some favourite breakfast cereal/teabags/coffee and tuna to make a sandwich to save carrying lots of food from the supermarkets in Tenerife. I don't want to be wasting time in the supermarkets! You know what it's like when us ladies go supermarket shopping!
Thanks for all your replies i don't think we will bother taking a cooler bag, we will give there food a try.

Nic
thanks in advance for your help. Nice
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.