UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Jackie

Agree with you but you will find it very difficult to understand anybody.
Joking aside it is a great place to go

Carol
I have never been to Cork, but I was quite impressed with what I saw on the recent BBC Holiday programme. But, I wouldn't like to stay next to that church where the public are allowed to walk in off the street and ring the bells all day :yikes
David :wave
David

Cork is really nice. Go for it a trip to Cork you will really enjoy. Maybe not the bell ringing. Cork is very hilly so be prepared.

Carol
As A corkoniAn, it mAkes me proud to reAd these posts. :d come to cork during our yeAr As europeAn cApitAl of culture (or Any other time for thAt mAtter) And we'll mAke you feel welcome. :)
Have just spent a week in cork. We stayed at the Ambassador Hotel. People are really friendly. Hotel was great. Would recomend this hotel to anyone going to Cork. Just Enjoy :D
Hi caw ... if you would like to submit a review for the benefit of future visitors to Cork, then please click here for more information.

David :wave
Cork is a brilliant place. Craic and life everywhere. Next to Dublin, Cork is tops!!!! :lol:
Hi

Im looking for a Cork City hotel, ideally centrally located and surronded by lots of tasty eateries and nice places to grab a drink.

Any dos or donts would be appreciated too!

Thanks
Some central hotels,
As a previous poster suggested The Ambassador, also central ones are Isaac's, The Metropole and The Imperial.
there are some good B&B's on western road which is a 15 min wlak to city centre.
Sins
Caw, I would go with staying in Cork City rather than Mallow.
This is my account of a trip to Kinsale and West Cork 4th - 9th August.

My wife and I travelled Ryanair http://www.ryanair.com/ from Liverpool to Cork booked 8 weeks in advance for a 5-day stay. Obviously at 10 pence return there is no complaint about the cost. Both journeys were slightly late by about twenty minutes, but credit to Ryanair staff in that they were genuinely trying to get the flight back on schedule, for instance very nearly unloading the incoming plane whilst loading the out flight.

I pre booked a car with Argus Car Hire http://www.argusrentals.com/ in the hope of supporting a small local renter. However, when I found the correct desk at arrivals, it turned out to be a booking with Europcar. I couldn't fault the transfer about ½ mile to pick up and return the car, the staff being quick, friendly and helpful. I was not entirely pleased with the car, a 2004 Hyundai Getz with a well used 28,000 miles borne out by the many scratches, chips and bits of broken interior trim. Still, I reckoned at £135 for the five days it was a reasonable deal, plus the car proved quite spacious, if a little bouncy on some of the only average roads encountered. And anyway, with its modified bodywork the car fitted in well with the many local cars that apparently indulge in some type of dodgem or banger racing that leaves them well endowed with dents, scrapes or bits of bodywork hanging off. Or, maybe it's just the narrow streets in some of the little towns. But if you go to Ireland, please be aware that pride in their car's appearance does not seem to be a trait the locals share with the average Sunday Morning Car Polishing Brit. Thus if you are at all a nervous driver, Super Collision Damage offered at the car hire desk at circa Euro 11 per day may be a good if expensive investment.

Kinsale is a twenty-five minute drive from the Airport on the main R600, impossible to get lost. Or if not hiring a car, the bus stop is outside Arrivals to drop you in Kinsale for about Euro 8 return fare.

We had booked five nights at Amarach B&B, The Glen, Kinsale. http://www.cork-guide.ie/kinsa_bb.htm , about six all en-suite bedrooms. Adequate accommodation at Euro 40 pppn if a little cramped, but a great Irish breakfast with friendly hosts. Really convenient for the town centre by a 100-yard walk to the nearest bars but actually far enough away to make it quiet at closing time. And of course, only a hundred yards to stagger back after a few pints of Murphy's.

Kinsale sells itself as a "gourmet town" http://www.kinsalerestaurants.com/kinsale.html and as base for touring and travelling the scenic areas of West Cork. Certainly there are dozens of places to eat and drink, from simple bars to quite stylish and expensive restaurants. Prices tend to be from approx Euro 8 to Euro 25 for a main course. We ate one night in "Dino's", a chippy of good reputation where we found the haddock and chips to be very tasty, about Euro 12 for the "special" with mushy peas. The inside fittings and seating area are beginning to show their age, therefore if you prefer, they do takeaways at lesser cost where you can sit on the harbour wall to feed the swans. Another evening we ate from the bar menu in "The White House" pub where they also have a restaurant at slightly higher cost. Average food at average prices we thought, but excellent soup at Euro 4.50 with friendly and very speedy service.

Our best meal in town was gained at "The Portofino", a newly opened Italian restaurant. Although service was a little haphazard due to the experienced headwaiter carrying two obviously new staff, the chef clearly knew what he was doing judging by the tagliatelle, the minestrone and nicely al-dente vegetables. Hopefully they will sort out the glitches. About Euro 70 here for the two of us including a bottle of chianti. Running this place a close second came "Jim Edwards Restaurant and Bar", a very popular and busy place. Again bar snacks or restaurant available but as it involves the same kitchen we chose the informal bar surroundings. We had fish meals, two types of potato with three vegetables on a side plate. A word of warning, don't tackle the sweets, especially the Bailey's Cheesecake, unless you are sure you have left room. On paper "Jim Edwards" is a bar but in practice everyone in the place eats therefore probably best to not simply drink in here, as they need the tables for eaters.

If they don't double up as both then the number of the number of pure drinking spots matches eating venues. Our tipples, a pint of Murphy's and a red wine cost Euro 8.20. In all the pubs and bars red wine comes in a small quarter bottle equal to about two small glasses.

Our particular favourite bars were "Lord Kingsale", a quiet, comfortable, old fashioned bar and "An Seanachai", (The Shanakee) where the quality of the live acts belies it's somewhat tatty exterior with gloomy back street entrance, but which in turn gives way to a spacious audience and stage area. Lots of the bars in Kinsale have live music and by "doing the rounds" it is possible to experience live music most nights. "An Seanachai" had the best genuinely Irish groups whereas sometimes the emphasis in others was Irish C&W or simply 70,80s stuff. One thing is for certain; by the end of a week you will have heard many fine and some less good versions of "The Fields of Aachenrie".

As a change from the immediate town, and as a Sunday morning cobweb blow we took a scenic walk around the harbour via the Scilly area to Charles Fort that took us past "The Spinnaker", "The Spaniard" and at Summercove, "The Bulman", an absolutely fascinating, atmospheric place full of bric a brac and old photographs. If you are lucky and early enough you might bag the outside iron bench overlooking the harbour inlet where like us may spot dolphins cruising the inlet. The Bulman also has an upstairs seafood restaurant, which I don't doubt is good.

During the five days we explored the coast West and South of Kinsale, also taking a trip into Cork city. The West Cork coastal route is an absolute must to take in the scenery of mountains, beaches, creeks and pretty, colourful villages. And it is true what they say about the light, the air is so clear, so pollution free, that everything takes on a new, brighter perspective - like leaving the opticians with a better prescription pair of specs!

On a perfect sunny Monday morning we set ourselves the target of getting to Baltimore to catch the 11am ferry to Clear Island. It was a 90-minute car journey, so tempting to stop here, there and everywhere we encountered, Clonakilty, Timoleague, Garretstown, Leap, Skibbereen, Rosscarberry, but to do so would miss the ferry. At least we knew what to do on days 2 and 3 - retrace our steps to take time out in those enticing places with such intriguing names. Baltimore was so busy that by the time a parking spot was found we walked onto the harbour just as the "Naomh Ciaran" pulled out at 11.03. All was not lost as a few enquiries revealed that better still, "The Spirit of the Isles" would be leaving for Clear and the famous Fastnet Rock at 11.30 returning at 17.30. So a six hour round trip with 2 hours on Clear Island cost would us Euro 20 each. What a bargain trip. Clear is unique, to read up the history quite fascinating, but 2 hours just enough to take in the immediate sights and sounds of the small waterfront, including the pubs, O'Driscolls Bar", "Cotter's Bar" and "Ciaran Danny Mike's" that overlook the harbour.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/131/dscn0271xx1yi.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7328/dscn0275xx7fs.jpg

If you are something of an island lover it is possible to stay on the island in cottages or one of the few hostelries. Fastnet Lighthouse is spectacular, the boatmen so skilled they take the boat right up to, then around to the rock at low speed to allow visitors to take photographs. The trip gives good views of seabirds like guillemot, shag, kittiwake, fulmar, gannet and manx shearwater and while whales are possible, we weren't lucky in that respect. A word of warning, it is about 4 km from Cape Clear to Fastnet through the open seas of Roaringwater Bay so the waves can be choppy even on a calm day i.e. The above name should give you a clue, If you are not a good sailor don't take the trip. http://www.oilean-chleire.ie/english/index.htm

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/918/dscn0284xx2eq.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8016/dscn0288xx1to.jpg

On the way back to Kinsale we decided to stop in Clonakilty for a quick look around and a meal. As a change we thought to try the "Cobra" an Indian restaurant. This cost us Euro 45 for a very disappointing meal and two drinks. Although they seemed to be busy with local takeaway orders, we considered the food poor, maybe even underspiced, strange for an "Indian", but we cannot comment on the sister restaurant also "The Cobra" in Kinsale. Like all the towns, Clonakilty was well endowed with eating places along the few main streets.

On Day 4 we discovered tranquil Courtmacsherry by turning left at Timoleague where we had found a real live McCarthy's Bar, pausing a while to view the ancient Franciscan Abbey before following the picturesque road into town alongside the estuary where Black-tailed Godwits, Curlew and Redshank lined the shore. We learnt that this weekend was the annual regatta, evidenced by a few strands of bunting strung about and a general atmosphere of something happening. We sat on the beach near the far end of town overlooking the beautiful sands and creeks, watched a Little Egret darting through the shallows, while a male Peregrine Falcon on the look out for a meal, perched on the cabin cruiser White Lightning.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/524/dscn0294xx5ut.jpg

Without warning a live duo struck up somewhere along the main street about 500 yards away. It was better from a distance, away from the immediacy of the amplifiers, to hear the purity of the singing, the driving, toe tapping, rhythmic banjo, what skill, what pleasure and pride they had in their music. Such unplanned, unexpected events make true holiday memories. If anyone knows who that duo were, please let me know.

As a large city Cork is really worth a trip from the UK in its own right. We decided to take the 10.30 bus (Euro 16 return for two) from outside Dino's in Kinsale to minimise the stress of driving in a strange city to find non-existent or fought over parking spots. The bus driver Finbar is really one of the happiest chaps I have ever met. He clearly loves his job, chats to everyone that gets on his bus and is helpful to a fault. What an example to all of us who moan and groan about work, making our own and other people's lives unhappy in the process.

I had been to Cork before so unlike my wife was not unprepared for the sight of hundreds of thriving shops and thousands of trendy shoppers. Not a bloke's place of course and why go all the way to Ireland to go in Marks and Spencer? But as foodie's we just had to go to "The English Market" as featured by Rick Stein et al - just an amazing place. And to do the real tourist bit we had genuine Irish Stew for lunch in the upstairs cafe, Euro 24 for two.

The Irish seemed concerned about their cost of living since the Euro came about, a few people asking if we thought Ireland expensive. Well it is dearer than UK, about 10 -15% for everything but they do seem and sometimes admit to being better off, with apparently lots of money in their pockets, especially in Cork.

The five days cost us c£800, which included flight, taxi to Liverpool, car hire, B&B, meals/drinks, spends etc so it is not a cheap holiday but as a "doing" holiday quite unlike sitting on a sun bed for a week. But we really enjoyed our taste of Ireland and can heartily recommend Ireland for the hospitality and friendship of the people, the landscape, the food, the "craic" and last but not least the Murphy's. Can't wait for Ryanair to open up more Irish destinations. As a complete bonus for non-smokers we enjoyed a week eating out and spending time in pubs without having to consume second hand smoke. The locals like it too as shown by how child friendly the places have become although children must leave bars by 9.30.

Regards to All
Having just returned from Ireland I cant believe no-one has commented on your post Phil. Your pics are lovely. My father in law has a house in Athlone, he lives there 3 months of the year during the summer and the rest of the time in England. 2 years ago my brother in law and his wife moved to the same area from England, so we were visiting family on our trip. I loved the place, although when travelling from town to town if it doesnt have a ring road then expect traffic delays. Otherwise travelling in Ireland is a joy even with 2 kids in the back of the car!

We travelled by ferry from Pembroke to Rosslare with Irish Ferries, one tip for cheaper fares is to book around Easter time as they have a good sale on. Our fare for 22/8 for a week was £195 return.
Hi Sarong and thanks for the travel tip. The nearest ferry crossing for us is quite a road journey although we did consider it before deciding upon Ryanair and car hire for Cork. Could be different next time but our nearest airport (Blackpool) is said to be opening up two new routes to Ireland next Spring - Shannon and possibly Knock. Can't wait.

Regards
Hi

Off to cork in a few days for some time out.

Are there any _Must_ dos to take in when Im there?

Also, is the Gaol worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!
You must go to Clancys on Princes street and try the gourmet Irish Stew, bet you can't eat it all though. http://www.clancys-bar.com/bmenu.html

I enjoyed a tour round the Gaol and it only cost a few euro, if you have a car then go down to Kinsale and explore the coast a while it's gorgeous.
Im sending my parents to Cork for a long weekend next month (30th wedding anniversary) & am wondering if anyone has any recomendations of good places to eat. they want somewhere special for 1 meal (anniversary night) and the other nights just simple nice places.
They love seafood & are also interested in trying out the local specialities.

any one got any recomendations
Claire will they have Transport. There is a beautiful town called Kinsale about 15 miles from Cork and it has the most wonderful Sea Food restaurants.
Thank you Waterford, i will suggest a car to them, they are in cork for 3 days, so they could easily get a car for 1 day & do some sightseeing.

Thanks again
Hi Clare,

When we stayed in Cork we went to a restaurant which I think was part of the Isaacs Hotel. It was fabulous.

Gail
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.