Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
If you eat outside the hotel - most people do - you'll find prices very reasonable. We were budgeting a tenner a day per person for lunch and evening meal with a couple of beers thrown in at reasonable standard tourist restaurants. You can spend more of course depending on the standard of restaurant, you can also spend considerably less.

Thailand has an eating out culture and all-inclusive seems to have trouble getting a foothold - long may it stay that way.
Thanks sunbear

As long as I know it wont cost an arm and a leg to eat thats ok.

Can you recomend a good area/hotel place where you can snorkle from the beach and there is also restaurants near by.

Thanks Karen
Karen
after the Caribbean you just won't believe the cost of food! A major part of my holiday is trying out a range of restaurants- the food is fabulous :D
It depends when you are thinking of going...if its our winter then the waters tend to be calmer and the sea crystal clear. Our summer and the sea tends to be rougher in the Phuket/Krabi area, so you get a lot of sand in suspension at the beaches so visibility is not so great, swimming may be a bit more hazardous.

To be honest the beaches I have been to on Phuket while great sandy beaches have not been so good for snorkelling unless you swim up near the rocks. I've found better snorkelling at a number of the outlying islands - many of which are uninhabited. Have swum from the jetty at the Amari Coral Beach hotel, Patong and the snorkelling was great, but the beach right by the hotel was not that great...still there was easy access to Patong Beach.

Prefer Kata myself...as this is quieter than Patong or Karon and the beach and water are very inviting, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from. Nai Thon is my personal favourite but this is a very quiet resort...everythings closing by 10pm.
I will bear that in mind when looking. It would be March when I wish to go and I ask about the snorkeling from the beach as I wont go where I cant stand up. Do you know anything about Koh Samui?

Quiet sounds good as long as there are a few restaurants to choose from.

Thanks again Karen
We tend to go in Feb or March to the Phuket/Krabi area....always hot and sunny (never seen any rain on our visits)...seas calm. I've been to Samui in March and seen some rain. Its years since I've been to Samui so I'll let others advise...would just say that the beaches in Phuket are better (though the ones in Samui aren't bad).

There is good snorkelling to be had on trips from Phuket to the various islands in Phang-Nga bay...Phi-Phi island, Koh Hong for example where you just swim from the beach. One place we have snorkelled at is known as Coral Island...it has one small resort on it...pleasant enough for a side trip.

When I say Naithon is quiet I mean it has a two or three bars, eight or nine restaurants and one tourist class hotel...the Naithonburi where we stayed.

Kata on the other hand has many hotels bars and restaurants.
Thanks Sunbear

I had my heart set on the maldives but going with another couple who want things to do so think I will put phuket to them thanks very much for the info.

Karen
We been to Phuket - Patong and Bang To a few times. For good snorkeling I'd go on the long tail boats to the little Islands, great day out.
The food in Phuket is very cheap and varied. I'm not into Thai food, but do like satay. My husband loves Pad Thai, in fact has it every night. We have never spent more than £8 - 10 on a meal for 2 of us, more like £6. a beer was about 75Bt. I like Gin & Tonic that was about 100Bt.
If you go to Patong, and like REALLY good English food try the Islander, best Roast Lamb I've had, also they do fish & chip, and mushy peas. Sorry, I just don't like Thai food.
We love Phuket, but did feel the last time we were there 2 years ago, straight after the Tsumani, that prices were rising, and the Tut Tut drivers were (some) con men. We know what the prices should be, yet, they always seemed to try and rip us off. Didn't like that!
BUT, would go back, as some of the people were lovely.
Going to try Bali next year, as heard some good things.
Sunbear, Kata sounds really nice, even Nai Thon. Your reveiw on the Naithonburi sounds lovely, do the rooms have air conditioning? Early Oct is when we are going so I do not know what the weather will be like :? When you say the place closes about 10pm how far would one have to go if on the odd occasion one wants to stay up a little later, and some form of transport to and from? Is it possible to book excursions from that area? Sorry to sound dim but I am imagining Nai Ton to be miles from any big towns :oops: I like quite but I also like the option to let my hair down sometimes 8)
Thanks
Saggy x
Hi Saggy,
yes the Naithonburi does have air-conditioning. Its a nice 3star plus resort just a walk accross the road to the beach. Enormous pool for the size of the hotel.

Check out the photos Here

I've got my own photos but those ones accurately portray the hotel.

If you want to go out for the evening its possible to get taxis to larger beach resorts. We went out one evening to Bang Tao bay area which was about 15mins drive away. There are taxis available from Nai Thon so its no problem. The hotel will quite happily book you excursions. There are a couple of bars on the beach road that will stay open as long as they have clients to serve so all is not lost.
Oh dear! I have been reading tooo many reviews on Thailand! Just when I think I have decided on which part to go, I read a great review about another area :? Maybe I should do a two centre holiday? Should I book a package (travel company recomendations plz)or do DIY? If DIY would the transfers be easy. Can one fly to Thailand without going via Bangkok and is it possible to get direct flights?
Thank you
Saggy x

Thank you Sunbear, the Naithnburi does look great and I like the fact that it is fairly new hotel. No matter how much you like a place, if the hotel is old and tired looking it does take the edge of for me. I went to the same hotel in Corfu 5 times over a period of 20 yrs and the hotel went from fantastic to dull, even though it went through two refurbs...oh well :oops:
Saggy x
Saggy,
I always do more than one centre to Thailand, 4 centres was the max I did on one holiday. All the scheduled flights from UK go into Bangkok. There are direct flights with Thai Airways, EVA, BA and Qantas for example. The charters were flying direct to Phuket (with a refuelling stop in Middle East) but seem to have pulled out of the route. Indirect flights with some of the Middle Easter airlines are worth considering as well, they can be cheaper and its an opportunity to strech your legs half way through the journey.

Bangkoks great so much to see and do. But if you don't want to do a city then you can two centre the beaches. We often do Phuket and Krabi for example. If DIY then transfers can be easily sorted...we just arrive at the airport and get a taxi when we go although its possible to arrange transfers before you go.

Have to say I've not stayed in a Thai hotel thats been anywhere near as tired as some of the hotels I've stayed in in the Med, grade for grade I'd expect a Thai hotel to be better.
Thanks Sunbear, oddly enough Phuket and Krabi are on my list :D Right, now I need to knuckle down and get something booked.
Saggy x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.