Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Congratultions :pele
Hope you had a lovely time. (despite the expense)

Kath x
Where did you stay Cazmicktom? we fly out on the 17th to the Capo Bay and I expect that to be half full, was the plane full or not?
were there many people in the resort, what were the restaurants like? is it like a ghost town or still busy?
Also I presume you were there for 2 weeks, how much do you think you spent, I'm thinking about taking a little more money.
:yikes

OMG my 500 quid for a week is looking a bit paltry now, will have to save save save.

Did you eat out much and what kind of costs were the restaurants?
Flooz, how many of you are going? I think its probably going to be cheaper to eat out rather than
buy stuff from the supermarket.
Think you might need more that £500 for a week, the amount we are taking keeps creeping up everytime we talk about the holiday.
hiya

theres 2 adults and a 4 year old, but i'm on the lighter life diet where you drink shakes and soups and only have one meal a day.
am now rethinking money - had the chance to book all inc and didn't as it 700 more than we paid for holiday but looks like i'll be easily spending that!!1

when do you go?
We go a week on Wednesday 17th, and can't wait, we always take more than we actually need
as I like to eat drink what I want when away, but last year we actually came back with over €300, tend to go mad the first week then slow down.
when you get back could you let me know an idea of costs as we don't go till 12 july?

prices for things like water for the fridge, milk, basic meal, pint of beer etc.

thanks in advance
hope you have a fab time
Of course, no probs I just hope that the hotels aren't so quiet, i like a bit of peace and quiet but don't want to be ratteling about a hotel with no atmosphere..
yes that was something I thought about too after being on here and TA, we like a bit of life, not clubbers by any stretch of the imagination but have been resorts before then they were all but closed! Not good.
If you have a car, head for the main supermarkets in Paralimni... Kokkinos is the least pleasant experience, but is the cheapest. See Google map of supermarkets

Examples from last month:

200 Superkings 31.75
6 x 1.5l water 1.99
1l fruit juice 1.04
150g sun dried tomatoes 2.14
9v Duracell battery 2.95
450g mayonnaise 1.78
250g Kerrygold butter 2.58
Bunch parsley 0.40
1kg baby toms on vine 4.20
1kg Cyprus potatoes 0.49
1kg pork chops 3.59
1kg lemons 0.90
Lettuce 0.40
1kg baby cucumber 1.25
1kg carrots 1.10
Bunch asparagus 1.50
1kg red pepper 1.90
Bunch radishes 0.40
Bunch spring onions 0.40
1kg apples 1.45
1l milk 1.40
6x44cl Leon 4.75
8x33cl Keo 3.88
1l Gin 5.38
1l Keo box wine 1.75
50g Nescafe 1.10
650g local bread 1.65

Cheapest home-cooked meal was a warm chicken liver salad... livers were 1.88 and more than enough for two.

Marion
Well those prices seem very very reasonable.
they look great - about what I was expecting - phew!

back to being excited now as was getting seriously worried!
we're going half board and are expecting to spend 100 euros a day, will that be enough
€100 a day ?...

We went in the off season in April which meant lots of places were shut, those that were open weren't carrying full stock etc... so there wasn't a massive battle for prices between them... we were paying €3-5 for a pint (sometimes more than a pint but it was a large bottle because the pumps weren't on). We only stopped for 5 nights so didn't want to waste any time shopping and cooking etc... so basically we ate out for breakast, dinner and tea (or breakfast, lunch and dinner depending on there you are from)... we didn't do any trips or anything... spent €500 in five nights...

so now the season is in full swing and many places are having price cuts/offers to get people in and there has been talk of a pint costing €1.70 in one place (sorry can't remember which) and with you having already paid for 2 meals out of each day... yes it should be ok !

Steve
Cazz here,
Stayed at the Rising star in Protaras.
We spent £2000 in two weeks, we had budgeted for £100 a day as we were self catering so ended up using the visa the last few days, we also used this to hire a car. We also had a day at the Aqua Park, no change from 100E after meals.We had breakfast in the apt, toast, branflakes, then made sarnies occasionally or had something from the snack bar. I'm on holiday so don't do cooking, although if we had we could have saved a bit. We ate out at various places of an evening. The bairn would have a milk shake for starters then a main course and sometimes a dessert, Mick and I always had the specials, starters, main course and desserts, which were value for money. Cheapest we paid for the three of us was 36E and the dearest was 60E, which included a couple of drinks each, ( we did splash out and went ot the mexican by macdonalds, that was out of this world.)
Places we ate at were, Astoria twice, Anatolia's twice, very reasonable but I felt the staff were having difficulty coping with the amount of people coming in, Red Indian (3 times, cheapest and good value for money), Oscars, Nissiotis, Yianna Marie, we also had our wedding reception here and the Mexican just along from greenery pub and the chinese, Chi Chi's I think it was called.
We could have spent less on drinks,but I drink Bacardi as the local beer is too gassy for me and the bairn had endless diet coke.
I found the beach activities way to expensive so didn't bother with these.
I think we'll be giving Cyprus a miss for a few years or if we come back soon it will be AI, like our friends did, they saved a fortune as they got a reallt good deal, stayed at the Artemis. We joined them for a few evenings and had an amazing time as the entertainers were fantastic.
I did notice prices were coming down towards the end of our holidays possibly to try and attract customers. When we arrived, the bars were empty of an evening and were not getting much more fuller after two weeks.

100E per day half board will be fine.

Mand M, those are reasonable but if you havn't got a car, you have to shop where you can.

Keels, the plane was full but most people on it went to Ayia Napa. The day we left, 140 left the hotel but they were only expecting 40 to replace us leaving the hotel practically empty. We had no problems getting sunbeds at all, loads standing empty all day and other hotels were like that too.

Hope the financial climate get sorted soon as I love Cyprus but it is rather expensive at the moment.
Mick here again---yes i got earache.
A round of drinks pint of beer,barcadi and coke and small coke for young Tommy average price 9 euros.
quite a few pubs on the main road 2 euros a pint.(waves).
One pub was 2 euros for a pint and 2 euros any cocktail-we had a good night in here.Cannot remeber the name but was near the mexican place.
Mc Donalds still cost 1 euro for a lovely coffee.
I would agree with the wife any one half board-100 eruros a day is more than enough cash.
Best value was the red indian. Worse was Anatolias-they could,nt cope-to many people stuffed in and also cigerette smoke spoiling my meal. Guy who stands on the door still goes out with his flippers putting his pots out for fishing. He is over 60 years old and has had a heart bypass. Still as fit as a fiddle.
We will be back-retire in 3 years time (i,ll be 51)and we are planning something special---maybe Constaninas the Great 5 star All Inclusive ?.
Mick.
glad you had a nice time and hope the wedding went well
what you have written is the reason we are not going to cyprus this year
we go to relax and eat out every day and night and spent £2500-00 last year
we were b&b so paid for lunch and evening meals plus the normal drinks water park water sports etc
i estimated that this year if we went we would get through 3000-00 minimum so decided to go AI in turkey
cyprus is the perfect place for us but each time we have gone we have wanted better than the last time or at least the same and to do that is getting into silly money
turkey has worked out at almost half the cost for 5 of us but we will return to cyprus
Thanks for dropping in cazzmickntom Hope you had a brilliant wedding :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.