Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
I have been to gran canaria 3 times, I will be going again at the end of this month.
I would advise that you go very prepared with more than enough money.
eating out isnt very expensive, you can get a meal with a drink for around 5-15 euros depending what you have. when i was there in january this year the prices of drinks had gone up a little since i was last there a few years before. smirnoff ice in most of the bars (puerto rico) are 7euros for 2, and in harleys they are 8.50 for 2. there are other smaller bars that are very cheap, so they are usually good to start off. i advise not to drink the local spirits as 'cheap' as they are...they dont taste very nice! its very hot in the summer, and you will drink alot of liquids so im advising you to take enough money to keep you stocked up on drinks throughout the days, which soon adds up over a 2 week holiday. plus if you are having to take taxis everywhere they can cost from 2-8 euros (obviously depending on distance) a time.
when i went there 4 years ago i took about 700-800 pounds and came back with about 70, when i went out there in january for a week i spent so much money, drinking out in bars was more expensive than i imagined...since the euro came in i find that money doesnt go as far as it used to when it was pesatas.hope this helps anyone, any questions just ask ;)
im hoping to take my partner away in febuary for an xmas prezzie. Were staying in the heart of PDI, self catering, keen clubbers, drinkers and shoppers. Were going for 2 weeks.

How much would you sugest i take?
We are just back - went 21st Oct for a week.
The average meal for two adults with drinks is about 20 - 25 pounds at most reasonable restuarants.
Fantastic designer shopps in Melonares/Masapalonus on the beach front near the lighthouse - Hugo Boss/Calvin Klein etc- very nice shoe shops there too.

For any child with holiday money to spend would recommend the toy shops in the Atlantico shopping centre (near Carrefore) in Vechinderra (probably the wrong spelling) - Also a 'TOYS'r'uS in the shopping complex north side of Las palmas near the large music auditorium on the coast.
Hi, my partner, son (4) and myself are going to PR in 5 weeks time. We are going self catering and just wondering if £1000 will be enough money to bring with us without worrying its going down to quickly! (the usual)

Any info would be great

Caroline
carolinex,
Not sure how long you're going for but certainly more than enough for 1 week and should be fine for 2 weeks. The most expensive things are imported foods and drink. Local foods and drink are relatively cheap. The dearest things in GC are drinks in the trendy pubs and clubs and the meals in the dearer restraurants.
we went last year, me my husband and 2 kids, we took £1,500 and ate out everynight. that was just enuf for 2 weeks so you should be fine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.