Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
The asterisks stand for rip offs, hope that gets printed or this will look silly.
i would have thought that turkey would be heaving this year, as i personally know a good few people who chose turkey instead of the usual euro zone for obvious reasons .

also wouldn't have surprised me if the turks didn't catch onto this and up the prices a little

but as more and more people are losing their jobs maybe people they are not going away, thus less people going and making the touting harder .

personally it didn't bother us last year but i'd say it's to be expected everywhere you go, it's how they put food on the table.
The Turkish guys I know who work out there, some hotels and some on seaside all told me they are being made to get more and more people in. If they dont bring enough people in then there is no money for them and they are let go and someone else is hired to see if they can do any better. Their jobs arent safe.

This was my 3rd time to Marmaris and twice within a year, yes it was quieter but more aggressive and more hassling...im not sure. You always got encouraged in Turkey to barter much more than any eurozone country and I think first timers don't realise this.

In saying all of this, I go on a clubbing holiday where free drinks is used to lure us in the clubs and they guys all turn on the charm lol
Yes, we asked a few Turkish people who worked the beaches, restaurants etc., and they said the same thing, that they are being asked to get more and more tourists in otherwise they don't get paid.
This is a shame, because tourists will naturally shy away from those openly touting for business.
Also, have heard that hotel staff are being asked to keep guests on the premises so that they will spend their money in the hotel rather than going out and spending their money elsewhere.
There were lots of people in Marmaris when we were there so am not sure if numbers of tourists visiting the area are down, but this could just be a knee jerk reaction to the credit crunch.
Am aware that it is probably happening in other countries but have not visited any of them since the credit crunch occured.
I totally understand what you are all saying. when i first went to marmaris in 2005 for the first time we went in to a restaurant for our evening meal, and i wasnt feeling too well (too much time in the sun) , so i only ordered a snack for my meal ( something like a hotdog and fries) , and the guy who took our order went mad and demanded i ordered something bigger .
Personally I think that next year will be much worse out there.

The credit crunch job losses really started kicking in late last year/early this year & initially it looked like construction & retail were going to be the hardest hit. I'm guessing that lots of people had already booked this summers holiday, before redundancies started piling up in other industries. I think that lots more people will not be booking holidays for next summer because they have alrerady lost their jobs or are concerned about that possibility.
One of my friends has just returned from Marmaris (only second time abroad) and thought the apartments they were staying in were great; so much so that they ate in the restaurant belonging to the apartments for all their meals for 2 weeks :) . Obviously the prices were very good so they didn't feel the need to walk the strip and find somewhere to eat. They said they people in the bars/restaurants nearby were very friendly when they called in for a drink (don't think they were hassled). Also mentioned how friendly the guy on the beach was, remembered all their names every day, and always let them off with the price of one sunbed.
I don't think it will get worse in Turkey next year due to the fact that it's such good value. After our holiday to Greece this year we will definitely think twice about going to a eurozone next year (see my report under Hotel Reviews).
I can't say for Marmaris but there was no noticable difference in the touting this year in Gumbet. If it is happening in Marmaris then I would say it was an effect of the credit crunch as it is affecting Turkey as well as the UK, people are finding it difficult over there so they obviously feel the need to pressure people more. If only they would understand this is more likely to have the opposite effect as people don't like to be pushed :que

Maybe the people who say it isn't happening are just getting immune to it all and don't notice it as much any more whereas newcomers find it all a bit overwhelming. Also the touts can usually spot someone who is obviously new to the are as against someone who knows there way around so they could pressure them a bit more.
Turkey is known for harrassing tourists , like I said, it goes with the barter tradition. The workers are always friendly and I only see them get slightly annoyed or snap back when tourists are rude to them.

It is a tough market out there at present though and people are just trying to make a living I suppose.
I returned from Marmaris in July and cannot say that I found the touting any different than the previous 2 years -yes every restaurant you pass they try to show you their menus , yes the shop workers ask you to look in their shop but personally I haven't ever considered this to be "aggressive" more "persuasive". It's their way of life and they are trying to make a living - you've got to applaud them in a way for trying hard.
I agree it becomes tiresome when you just want to be left alone to walk down the street and you're being invited into every shop/bar/restaurant you pass but you soon become accustomed to it and know the best way to deal with it. I have to say that the time-share touts I've encountered in the Canaries/Spain have been far more aggressive!
I think a lots got to do with peoples tolerance levels. What some people might see as really annoying and feel intimidated others just shrug it off and have a bit of banter with the turkish waiters. People that are visiting Turkey for the first time might find it irritating but regular visitors are well used to it.

When we were in Marmaris last summer, just strolling along in the evenings wondering where to eat, I honestly didnt feel intimidated at all. Usually a polite no thank you sufficed. Saying that we didnt visit this summer and it may be the case
tourists are being more pressurised .

There is so much competition say in places like Marmaris so you cant blame the workers for trying!
You could well be right in that some people's tolerance levels vary, but having said that, as a first-timer this year in Marmaris I was quite annoyed to see how aggressive some stallholders were when dealing with tourists, and was not too pleased when we were hassled or ripped off either.
The bottom line is that bad behaviour is bad behaviour, and treating tourists like this has nothing to do with Turkish culture, so all this about tolerance levels and being inexperienced hagglers just doesn't wash.
We have good Turkish friends here in the UK who tell us categorically that such rude behaviour would never be tolerated by them, so why should we put up with it!!!
Hi agree ardath. I would imagine the Turks have got a lot more tourists this year than other resorts in the eurozones. How would the situation be if there weren't many tourists?? I have to be honest, that is one of the things that puts me off going to Turkey (and other things that I won't start a raging debate about :rofl ).
Just ignore them and if they persist tell them to P*** O**
Usually works for me ;)
This was our first time in Turkey but unfortunately will be the last.
The touting was really bad from breakfast time to returning home at night.
Went to the bazaar to look at shops unfortunately they will not let you browse and are constantly
at you if you even so much as look in the window.
We used to call in a bar near our hotel when returning from evening out for last few drinks or so
very friendly to begin with but feel because we didnt eat there the charm was very short lived.
In fact one night on passing - we were going into icemeler for meal and told them this when harassed to go in to eat , we were told you must not go to Icemeler tonight Bin Laden will bomb
the lot of you!
Sorry but not my idea of a holiday.
Its a shame because our apartment was really clean and nice - scenery lovely and we did some
great trips - its just the general harrasement that lets it down.
By the sounds of all the comments on here I'm SO pleased that my mate and I went at the beginning of the season as we had a great time!! :cheers

We did get some hassle but no more than we get in India and nothing compared to what some of you appear to have had.
It must be a Marmaris thing becaue we got nothing like that in Bodrum or Gumbet this year. I thought people had said they were cracking down on this kind of behaviour, obviously not by the sounds of it.
I heard that there was supposed to be some kind of law passed against this kind of hassling and that the police in Marmaris were clamping down but when we were there it was pretty much open season on the tourists and the police just cruised up and down the seafront making announcements via a loudspeaker in Turkish.
When we went to Sharm there were the Egyptian tourist police who are easily accessible and dealt very quickly with a case in our own hotel of one young girl who believed that a waiter had tried to get in her hotel room, the man was arrested and taken away and the girl felt secure in the knowledge that the whole situation had been effectively dealt with.
I didn't see the Turkish police making their presence felt in the same way, but I certainly think that hey should.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.