Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I agree, Pinky (and Ardath) there are so many lovely places in Turkey. Marmaris is good for some people but if you want a real Turksih experience it is really the wrong resort to choose If you were to go to one of the smaller resorts I am sure you would find it so much better, there is nowhere near the amount of hassle you find in the bigger places and Marmaris sounds the worst placec for it anyway.
I can honestly say I've never felt safer on holiday than I do in Turkey - day or night. I wouldn't go to Marmaris though, it's just not my kind of holiday, but I've honestly encountered far more hassle and hard-sell techniques in mainland Spain, the Balearics and the Canary Islands than I ever have in Turkey. I've experienced far more genuine warmth, friendliness and genuine hospitality from the locals in Turkey than I have elsewhere - they are lovely people.
My mate has just come back from marmi and he said he had to check his change, check the bill etcs every time coz he was shortchanged or charged for stuff he never had time and again.. that's bad man. :( they too had the jokey waiter best mate stuff at the beginning but it was all fake and just done to spend your dosh, the staff got agressive when you didn't buy their food/drink etcs.

It's a right shame coz i'm a marmie fan but have heard the prices are edging up allmost every week and the funs gone. icmeler is just the same now too so i've heard. :que
Can't agree about Icmeler - it's got a completely different atmosphere altogether from Marmaris.I can't stand Marmaris, but I love Icmeler and have never felt hassled or pressurised in any way.
blondiescot wrote:
I can honestly say I've never felt safer on holiday than I do in Turkey - day or night. I wouldn't go to Marmaris though, it's just not my kind of holiday, but I've honestly encountered far more hassle and hard-sell techniques in mainland Spain, the Balearics and the Canary Islands than I ever have in Turkey. I've experienced far more genuine warmth, friendliness and genuine hospitality from the locals in Turkey than I have elsewhere - they are lovely people.

Thats seems amazing to me. I went to Turkey last summer and Spain this summer. So my infomation is pretty fresh and the hard sell of Turkey and the way they sell in Spain are completely different. There is no comparison in the world. It's a different culture.

You certainly dont get people following you down the street or round the supermarket in Spain, it's just like being here, you are allowed to shop in peace and then when you want your goods you go and find someone. :scratch: I find it totally misleading to say that Turkey and Spain are the same in this respect.
I hear what you're saying, doe, but I'm only speaking from my own experience and it's Turkey for me every time from now on. For me personally, there IS no comparison - none of the hard-sell timeshare tours, friendlier service all round and better value for money, for me, Turkey wins every time.
I have never been pressurised in Turkey either, nor have I been followed down the road or round a supermarket. Turkish people have always been friendly and respectful wherever I have been.

There does seem to be an awful lot of complaints about Marmaris though this year so I'm not quite sure what is happening there. I just hope it doesn't spread to other resorts and that the authorities start clamping down more
blondiescot wrote:
I hear what you're saying, doe, but I'm only speaking from my own experience and it's Turkey for me every time from now on. For me personally, there IS no comparison - none of the hard-sell timeshare tours, friendlier service all round and better value for money, for me, Turkey wins every time.

I wasn't comparing them as an overall holiday destination. I was just talking about the shopping, which was what the post was about.

It might not affect die hards, but it will affect people where Turkey is just one of any number of destinations they can choose from as we can see from people on this thread a saying they will never go again.
We were overcharged by 30 lira in a restaurant but before we had time to pay my daughter said hang thats looks a lot,when we worked out what we had the waiter said oh dear thats the bosses son,and adjusted it,we visit this restaurant every year we go but thats the last time.Also one of the shops under the kocer club we always buy jeans etc for the girl was most rude to my son,some of the sizes were smaller or bigger than the size sais so my son kept trying on pairs for the fit and she got really nasty to us so another shop i intend to avoid.It doesnt put me off going to turkey because theres more genuine people than rip off merchants. :sun2
any suggestions for true turkish resorts that you dont get the hassle?
as i said scenery lovely and place clean just all the hassle - take this away and i would think
about returning.
thanks v much
Not been myself but Akyaka is supposed to be very nice. Not a big resort from what I understand, but chilled and Turkish. That might suit. Perhaps you could do some google searches on it. :)
To be honest in any of the 'resorts' that feature in the big Tour Operators brochures that are aimed at tourists you will get hassle, it goes with the territory and it will be worse if they are struggling to sell. I think it is something you either have to accept or give Turkey a wide swerve.
Ortakent near Bodrum is nice and you wont get all the hassle there. A lot of Turkish people visit there so it has a completely different feel to it than the big resorts
i second what chris says,akyaka is gorgeous, in a conservation area so no high rise hotels etc, very scenic, gorgeous beach, 50 mins from dalaman airport, ive never had any hassle in all the years we have been going there, it does get fairly busy with turkish visitors for july and august, but we love it there, ive put a load of photos in the gallery so have a look and at these websites . its mainly a diy holiday, the prices in restaurants are very reasonable too, if you want any more information let me know

ttp://akyaka.com/index.php

http://www.turkuaz-guide.net/gokova.html

http://www.idymahotel.com/en/index.htm

http://www.marmarisinfo.com/sightseeing/cleopatra.phtml

http://www.akyaka.org/index_eng.htm

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/akyaka/

http://www.exclusiveescapes.co.uk/destinations/property/incogn/detail/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akyaka%2C_Mu%C4%9Fla

http://tomsanokaliptus.com/
Im off to marmaris on 18th september,this will be my second visit,i must admit we really enjoyed our holiday last year,But if what im reading is true it maybe our last,ill let you know my experience when i return,its put me off abit reading all this as i was excited.....its put a bit of a damper on it to tell the truth... :que
Hi cheryl dont let the reports put you off just beaware that you can be ripped off and take a note of what youve consumed etc and double check your bills,its like anywhere really if they can get away with it they will.I have been ripped off but a check and mentioning it thats it all over and sorted,it wont put me off going to turkey because its still such a great place,enjoy your hols and you might even get a few good bargains at the end of sept :sun2
cheryl,

I have an idea that the worst cases of hassling etc., probably occur in peak season July/August, or at least most people returning from holidays in Marmaris during this season, including ourselves, are reporting the worst cases.
Perhaps it is just easier and more tempting to try to rip people off when there are crowds everywhere, but it seems that anyone going out of season, June/September, are not reporting similar cases.
With less tourists around I suppose it would stupid for them to push their luck.
So you will probably be okay.
Thank you for replying,i must admit i think you are both correct in what you say.
We went in september last year and no trouble what so ever,infact found the turkish people very nice.

Also enjoyed the beauty of the country,would be a great shame to put people off going back by far too much hassle,i dont mind a bit i think its rather funny.

I understand that the credit crunch may make them more pushy,but a smile will make more money than aggression.

Happy holidays....thanks...Cheryl :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.