Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Well that is true west is the best and certainly cheaper, but isn't so near as it seems. For example if you want to go to Sugia one of the best beaches on the island you need more then 5h from Heraklion...(well who said that the moon is far?)

So if you go west you defently wouldnt like to come back.... :)
I know Sougia beach but it's mainly pebbly and is famous for its nudists. The key to the West is to fly into Chania which is a newer style airport and perfectly placed for Western Crete. It's good to visit heraklion for the museums and close vacinity of Knossos but after that there's no reason to go there. Fly into Chania.
We flew into Chania many years ago in its first year allowing non-military flights. Quite interesting seeing the aircraft surrounded by tanks as it landed!

Unfortunately not all UK flights go to Chania so this year we went to Heraklion anyway and then the coach to Panormo and Rethymno. Not quite the same somehow.
We are off to Western Crete again August 2010. This time we are staying in Georgiopoulis but are planning to visit Aghia Marina, the only problem is which of all the lovely restaurants will we choose to visit. If we could get a weekend flight from Manchester or Birmingham to Chania we would definitely go to Aghia Marina for the Whitsun holiday, we Love the place :)
Right on Groovychick.....I'm with you all the way!
Booked our flights with Easyjet to Heraklion last week and will be making the long drive to Kalives in July. Chania would have been better but the charters were just too expensive to even consider!! We have booked the Artemis apartments (independantly through Ariadne at Authentic Crete) which look gorgeous and are hopefully ideally placed to visit the waterpark (for our 12 year old), Georgiopoulis? (for the big waves), the Akrotiri Peninsular, Elafonissi (which we just have to see again) and also the beautiful mountains and gorges of Western Crete.

We were last in Crete in 2004 staying at Marathi on the Akrotiri Peninsular and we really can't wait to return.

Diane
we are going to the anastasia hotel in stalis in july . never been to crete before and booked the hotel because of the good reviews . really looking forward to it :cheers
We are going to Elounda staying at the Manos Apartments from August 1st for two weeks
Hi everyone,

We are off to Rethymnon in June, staying at the Hotel Bueno in Platanes, we went there last year and loved it! :)
Hi there,

Me and hubby are off to the Moonlight Hotel in July. The 3 times we have been before we have stayed at the Stelios Stalis Apts.

Can't wait!!!

:sun2
dave & julie and kids stalis in middle of june 2010 first time to greece .hope we like it there and its not to expensive
Hubby and me going to stalis 4th july from doncaster . 1st time to crete im sooooooooooo exited.
Fiancee and me are off to Socrates II apartments in Malia in September 2010 from Doncaster/Sheffield.( yes they are actually just inside Malia on the border with Stalis - not in Stalis as advertised by Thomson). Don't let the true location of Malia put any of you folks off though. Located on a quiet road far enough from Malia centre to avoid the young crowds. This will be our 4th visit to these great apartments having holidayed there in 2005/6/7. Can't wait til September. :sun2
hi going stalis anatasia hotel 28th may from humberside first to there so well excited :D
2 weeks to go and can't wait staying at Anastasia Hotel for 2 weeks. :hols
Hi Sez Louise
Just wandered what you thought of Crete and The Anastasia Hotel? How would you compare it to Corfu for prices scenery and nightlife? We loved Corfu and have booked to go back next year to the Paradise appartments...going the Anastasia in September.

Liz Mc
You've hit the nail on the head Richard when you said you need to fly into chania to visit western Crete- not many flights with the main TO's fly there. We certainly can't get anything from our local airport and would have to tavel at least 4 hours to get to an airport for a Chania flight :(

Rocky, agree with you about the socrates apartments, we stayed there in 2008 and loved the place and its location.
Stalis or should that be Stalida ;)
Mid-september, went there 10 yrs ago on our honeymoon ,(different accomodation), really looking forward to it :cheers

Booked it last Oct within a week of returning from Corfu, so its been a long time coming , soon be time though :tup
Going to Malia next week.

The first time we went to Crete (10 years ago now - eek!) we just had a 'Crete -allocated on arrival' last minute holiday. I was horrified when it turned out that we were staying in Malia, I wanted to get straight back on the plane and come home. HOWEVER, we took the time to explore, found the less crowded and more peaceful Tropical Beach, had some fantastic evenings in the tavernas in the Old Town - and booked to go back as soon as we got home! We've now been to Crete 3 times (twice to malia and once to Koutalafari) and always hire a jeep for 3 days to explore more f the island. We've had a break for a few years, going to other Greek Islands, but next week we're back in Malia staying at the apartments we stayed at before - and can't wait!!

We'd love to visit the Western side of Crete but the cost of the flights is prohibitive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.