Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
thanks for the report :)
I heard that the Burj Khalifa was closed- has it reopened? Did you go to the beach area at all? Shopping- in your opinion what are the "best buys"?
I'll bet the snow in Aberdeen was a bit of a shock on return!
Yes Burj Kahlifa was closed when we were there. Not sure if it is opened yet. I think I also read that there is a long waiting list for tickets to go to the top. If you go to Dubai Mall you get a fantastic view (and a sore neck) of Burj Khalifa as you are right next to it. It is an amazing spectacular building.

Shopping...... welll where do you start? There is every designer shop you could think of there are an abundance of gold and jewellery shops - oh how I wish I was a millionaire!!! Handbags and shoes seem to be very popular as well. Especially the Arab ladies who love their designer bags!! Personally I like Guess products and there are a few of Guess shops in all the Malls. Every clothes shop you could possibly think of, including Marks and Spencer, Debenhams and Next!!!

I was pricing watches and they are not really any cheaper than the UK. Hubby bought a wide angled lens for the camera which was roughly around the same price as UK however after a bit of bartering and going in all the shops for the best price, he did get a good deal. If there is something you want definitely get a good idea of price before you go. Thing is as well the exchange rate is still not that good. We were getting around 5.69 with our Nationwide account. A couple of years ago we were getting around 7.50 so that makes things more expensive.

We also love bukhoor - you will smell it when you go in the Malls as the shops that sell it usually have it burning outside so we bought quite a few of those as well! Just to remind me of Dubai!! :tup

We didn't go to the beach area this time as we have been before. We did our little bit of sunbathing at the Hotel which was lovely. In fact didn't come home (yes to very cold Aberdeen and even colder Paris) with much of a tan, due to spending too much time in the Malls!!

Not long until your trip now Fiona and I am sooo jealous and hope you have a fantastic time.
handbags and shoes :D - husband won't be too pleased. He can't understand why I think I need to buy more :rofl He tends to look for running shoes, ipods, computer stuff and he does know prices so we will see if he buys anything.
Have you ever tried afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab? We are swithering. The price is eyewatering but as its our silver wedding anniversary I wonder if its worth splashing out?
Food and drink prices- we are going to try not to wince :rofl I think we will make good use of the duty free at Dubai airport.
Thing is my hubby hates shopping here. He would never dream of going into the so called malls in Aberdeen but get him in Dubai and he is worse than me!!

We did afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab last year in the Sky View bar (the bit that juts out over the sea) and although expensive it was worth it for the experience. Again, you need to book and if you do, request a window table. I remember reading that on Trip Adviser and fortunately whilst the request is not guaranteed we were lucky to get a window table and the views were just spectacular. We started off with a small beef wellington, then came the tea and cakes out on a cake stand that was a sail shape. You could ask for more of anything. You also get a free glass of Moet & Chandon. Nearly dropped dead when hubby ordered a bottle!!! In fact we slipped up, we should have had our free glass first, then ordered the bottle because as we ordered the bottle we didn't get the free glass!!

There were the most exquisite cakes and home made scones with clotted cream, fresh fruit, every tea and coffee you could possibly think of. Our booked time was 4pm and we arrived early and they let us in to have a wander round the Hotel so we took millions of photos! We left probably about 8pm so it was good they didn't hurry you out. I didn't think sandwiches and cakes would fill hubby up and he would want a meal later but glad to say he didn't!

As it is a special anniversary, I would go for it. You only live once and yes it is alot of money but it is a once in a lifetime thing to do and it will leave you with some fabulous memories.

Yes definitely pick up your duty free when you leave the airport it will save you a fortune on hotel drinks!
Its good to know that you are not hurried at the Burj- that was a big concern I had. I hate to think how much your champagne cost :yikes
Thanks for all the great info.
Just checked back my credit card statement and the cost for the Burj Al Arab including the bottle of champagne was 990 dhs :yikes
At that thime the rate was 5.27 so calculated to £187.

Just checked back a post I made on TA and the cost for afternoon tea was 395dhs per person. Therefore the champagne was 200 dhs which calculated to £37 so not that bad considering a 7 star hotel!
Not too bad then :)
One more query- what was the dress code? Smart/casual?
Well we got kinda dressed up. Hubby put a smart shirt and trousers on and I had trousers and a dressy top, however there were people more casual. I am sure I read though that jeans are not allowed although I am sure I saw people in jeans. In fact as we were arriving at the door (after being driven down the causeway in the little golf buggy) there were a crowd of people coming through the doors wearing their beachwear!!
I suppose if you actually stay there you might well enter the hotel in swimwear :D Must be nice to be able to afford to stay there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.