Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

I stayed there in April 2006 and really liked it. All the things you have said about nice staff, good restaurants, lovely style of buildings were still true then. The 'roman' pool was a favorite with us.

We hope to go back to Sharm in April 2007, and it's a real dilema as on the one hand we would like to try somewhere new, but on the other we would be so disappointed if it wasn't as good as the Crowne Plaza.

Perhaps someone who has been this summer will post. 8)
Hi
We have just returned from the Crowne Plaza and really had a great holiday. We loved the rooms, pools, staff, layout of the hotel, well pretty much everything really. Only one small thing I would go B&B next time not HB as the evening meals weren't very good (I think we only ate there 3 times in the end) and there was not enough seating for everyone. Apart from that it was fab :D

Full report to follow
Hi Carrie, Welcome back :D

So glad you enjoyed your holiday. How did your daughter get on getting into the sea from the Jetty? It's a good hotel. We want to go back to Sharm next April and are torn between trying a new hotel or going back to the CP. Has the buliding work finished? Look forward to reading your review.
Thanks. We tried both of the jetties and the floating one was hard to keep your balance on but you could get into the shallow sea from there so that was good. The wooden one was really good as we had the fish swimming around our feet when we arrived we were saying WOW.

In the end she was happy just to put her face (with mask on) in the water she didn't venture off of the jetty.

We too are wanting to go back next year and have the same dilema as you (and we never go back to the same hotel ever) but I think we will.

There weren't many Brits there for the first half of the week but a few turned up for the 2nd half of the week. It was mainly full of Italians. :roll:
How was the heat? I wouldn't mind going back for 2 weeks at some point and it would have to be July/Aug because of school, but the idea of the temperature puts me off.

Is there a breeze? The temperature in late April was brilliant.

There were quite a few Italians there when we were, no problems though, and at least they didn't keep eating all the food at breakfast like the Russians :shock:
I think I would only go B&B (as before). The hotel isn't too far from Namma Bay where all the good restaurants are. Plus the CV BBQ, Via Viento, and room service were good if you didn't fancy trecking out. Also I don't think they cost anymore than the Half Board upgrade to eat in the main buffet restaurant. :D
It was pretty hot actually but we managed ok spending a lot of time in the pool or sea. We think we were actually hotter one year in Turkey in August. You can't do much without sweating madly but it wasn't too unbearable. We would go again anyway in July/August.

There was the occasional breeze. One night when we went into Naama Bay we thought someone had turned a giant hairdryer on as the breeze was very hot. We just hurried into the Hard Rock for a cocktail and when we came out it had gone. :shock:

We went quad biking in the desert which was fab.

I was just looking at some pictures of our holiday and it makes me more determined to go back.

We will go B&B for 2 weeks I hope and like you say the room service was great and not expensive at all along with Naama Bay just down the road for restaurants.
:) wow, thanks for all the replies peeps, I defo think we will go back to crowne plaza - the only thing that concerns me is that I heard a rumour (while we were there in summer 2005) that all the building work around the hotel was in fact an extension of the hotel - is this true? or is the building work simply work on surrounding hotels and not the crowne plaza at all. Any replies on this would be greatly appreciated :)

thankyou

faye
Dont know for definate, but I heard that rumour as well. The way I was told was that the building work on one side was an extension to the Crowne Plaza and the building work on the otherside was a new hotel.

When we went to the health club pool you could see the building work quite clearly and it did seem to be 'in the same style' as that of the hotel, and also it was quite close.

The work taking place on the otherside seemed a lot further away, so I imagine that would be a new hotel.

You could try emailing them, if you want the email addy let me know, I'm sure I have it somewhere.
Hi there is definately building work around the Crowne Plaza as they are half way through building an extension to the hotel.
Hi Fayeq :D

Another thing you might want to try if you do go back for your Mums special birthday, is getting a Crowne Plaza Priority Guest card, as this may give you a room upgrade as a repeat visitor, which would be nice for your Mum.

If you can find the original Crowne Plaza thread, which I think is on the next page. another member of this board appied for one for her second visit. think you can do it on the Crowne Plazas main web-site. :D
We got a priority card in case we do go back next year. However, I don't know if you can use it if you book through a tour operator. We were told by the receptionists that it is far cheaper to book rooms through an agent than direct to them as they give rooms to agents at reduced prices. We were thinking of booking direct with the Crowne but have decided to go through an agent booking flights separate.

There was a lot of building work going on throughout Sharm I would like to point out thought that it never affected out stay at all. :D
Once again, thanks for all the replies!! :) and for the tip on the card, I will defo look into it if it is available without having to book direct. The builkding work going on doesnt bother me really (it was going on last trip and didnt affect our stay) but what I was concerned about is that if the extension to the hotel is completed by the time we go then the hotel is likely to be much busier which i feel would be a problem :( does anybody think that it is likely to be finished by april 2007? Also if somebody does have thier email addy that would be fab :) thanks once again for all the advice and info peeps,

faye
Hi fayeg :D

At work at present, but will post email addy tonight.

Re the building work, it looked like it was about half finished in April this year. I think provided you don't go right over Easter even if the hotel has been extended, the grounds were quite spacious and with 5 pools it probably wont seem much busier.

Re the Priority Card, I think that Elaine who used it for her second visit travelled with Portland on both times she went, so it looks like you can use it even if you don't book direct.
Hi again

email addy as follows:-

info@crowneplazasharm.com

web address:-

http://www.crowneplazasharm.com
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.