Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Shepj7

We did our first cruise, many years ago, as a cruise and stay and i think after talking to other cruisers most people do, just in case!!!, but i can honestly say that the second week was a bore and it was at one of our favourite hotels.
We have only ever been on Thomson so I can only advise on them, entertainment and food is great on them all, cabins on the Destiny are small below deck seven and most have single 'L' configuration sleeping, if you can afford it the deluxe cabins deck seven, are a lot better with Queen size beds and you can turn round in the shower.
The Spirit & Celebration (sister ships) have bigger cabins but again the deluxe are better and not such a big jump in price as on Destiny.
We have done most of the itineraries inc Red sea, Med, Caribbean, Canaries and from Southampton to Med.
If you require a more detailed account of any particular ship/trip just ask, but be warned once you have done a cruise and if you like it land base holidays are a thing of the past.
If you do book this early, and we have for next year, you should get the all inc package which is very good as you get all the premium drinks inc. Should be a great way to start married life.

Good luck

Roger
Cruise or Stay and Cruise don't Cruise and Stay.

What sort of budget did you have in mind?
That will be a driver for what options you have.

How close to the wedding do you want to leave?
How long have you got max?
I wouldnt mind going on a cruise and either then staying somewhere for 7 nights and fly home or stay somewhere and cruise back if thats what you mean. We havent really decided on our budget its probably £2500 for the two of us but not too sure really. Just ;) want any suggestions and ideas at the moment so I can have a look into it. We get married Sat 3rd July 2010 and would probably want to go on the monday or tuesday after the wedding Thanks
Hi why don,t you consider flying on the mon/tues to Orlando stay for 4/5 nights[hotel]
then join a cruise from Port canaveral for the following week,we have just returned
from Eastern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Glory it was fantastic, and well within your
budget :cheers
annx
I would second aarond's post, but cruise on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas.
Or, have a few days in New York then cruise to Bermuda for a week on NCL Dawn.
I didnt think of going that far as I thought July time was a bad time for those type of places?? Am I wrong, would a cruise there in July time be okay??
Would recommend the Med, as the weather is superb then. Yes, the Caribbean will be even hotter but is better as a "winter" destination when the weather in Europe is poor.

The stay & cruise v's cruise & stay is about the fact that if you cruise and then stay in a hotel for a week you will likely find the stay disappointing compared to the cruise. If you stay in the hotel first you will not think that way, as the cruise is still ahead! On our first cruise, which was 2 weeks, there were many who were staying at a hotel the 2nd week, and they were enjoying the cruise to the extent that some spent the last couple of cruising days trying to change the arrangement to remain on the ship! The ship was full and they had to disembark. We met some of them at the airport going home, and they said the 2nd week was a complete anti-climax.
Hi you can never be sure with the weather,last Aug 2008 we cruised from Miami on the
Carnival Liberty [another fantastic ship]western caribbean the weather was perfect.
After another cruise this year May 9th from Port canaveral the weather was again wonderfull,
we were spending our 2nd week in Orlando from Mon 18th the heavens opened and we had
storms and rain like i have never seen before,lots of area,s had bad floods,so its luck of the
draw as far as the weather is concerned.hope you find what you are looking for :) the bad weather
lasted 5 days :yikes
annx
Hi,

We did a cruise for our honeymoon in September 2004 on the Thomson Spirit round the Med, excellent, really enjoyed it. We booked early so got the all inc package which was good as you then only have to pay for your trips. We didn't really tell anyone we were on our honeymoon, but some how the waiters found out and sang for us, just alittle embarrassing!!! :oops: We are now going with Thomson again this year around the Baltic in September for our 5th anniversary.

I do have to agree with Rogerdoger that once you have done a cruise that is it.
Hi again Shepj7

You are correct July is not a good time in the Caribbean you have a chance of hurricanes.

Roger
rogerdoger

Thanks for your help on the cruise. What you have put is really helpful and sounds great. Would you say the thompson cruises are the best then?? I like the idea of a bigger cabin so a deluxe one would probably be a better choice.

Can you book up now for next July then?? Would we need to ask for the all inclusive package as well? :sun2
Caribbean Hurricane season is technically from June to November. Chances of actually having a Hurricane in July are slim. End of August into September is historically the most common time.
Cruising is not often impacted by hurricanes, unless the port of embarkation is where the storm makes landfall. If there are storms at sea they will take you well out of the way of them. Caribbean Cruise ships are heavily booked in July....... :)
Hi shepj7

As i said i have only ever been on Thomson but when we have spoken to other cruisers who have been on other ships they say the entertainment, friendliness and food is better on Thomson but other people may have different views,
Yes you can book that far in advance we have one booked for this year and two for 2010, Caribbean in March and Adriatic in October I know that sounds sad but we like the bigger cabins and we know which cabins to book for the size and position so we ensure we have the one that suits us and you get the all inclusive, we have in the past booked late and picked up tickets at the airport but we did not save a lot, but again i do know a lot of people prefer to book last minute and don't mind the smaller cabins as they say you are only in them to sleep, but it is nice if you can justify the cost to go deluxe.
Whichever way you go i am certain you will have a good time, please keep us posted on the details.
Just one point when booking that far in advance i would suggest you pay the deposit with a credit card just in case!!!!

Roger
£1250pp will get you something, just depends how much spending money you have to go on top for drinks tips,trips and a few treats maybe spa.

As has been said to avoid the posiblity of a downer if you find you love cruises do the stay first.

Allthough a honeymoon is usualy a trip of a life time, if you get hooked on cruises you will do loads over the years.

There are plenty of Med options,, Baltics are very good if you like cities and St Petersburgh could be something that makes a cruise "special"

Caribbean is an option but due to weather you have to be prepared for itinerary changes.

July is also an OK time to do New England with a NewYork stay.

Another must do cruise and would amke a good "special" trip would be Alaska, loads of bargains this year.

The Med is easy from the UK so can become the area you do a lot, if you get hooked, so looking further afield for this special trip might be worth some thought. Also some parts ofhte Med are getting hot by July

I know a lot of people like to do the honeymoon immediately after the wedding, but if there is the ideal fantastic trip some time in July or august or something cheaper in Oct Nov Dec do consider that as an option, the money would get you much better deal in Nov/Dec.
Shepj7
Last year (2008) Thompsons Destiny - 2wk Stay and Cruise around the med. Relaxed the first week in Hotel and Hextic the next week on the Cruise. Luvly
This year (2009) Thompsons Destiny - 2 Week Cruise back to back. Going to be a hextic 2 weeks. Luvly
Now to your query.
2010 Doing Thompsons Celebration. Only im doing the cruise 1st week and then the Hotel 2nd week. Thought I would like to have a relaxing week on the 2nd week.
Booked this already - 2 weeks Cruise and Stay July 2010. 2 adults 1 child - Turkey - 2nd Week - 5 Star Belcetiz All Inclusive and 1st Week - Celebration - Drinks Package included all for £3100. Thought it was a good price for the 3 of us through Portland. To get the offers your best booking early. Drinks package can save you a bundle if you like your G&T's like me and the wife. Go on take the plunge. :cheers

Colin Northern Ireland
Colinbredin

Thanks for your information on what you have booked for next year. So strange that the hotel you are staying in Turkey is the hotel I really really want to go to as its got so many great reviews and the area looks amazing. Also we normally book our holidays with Portland and we always have a great time. I dont think I would mind if I was in the hotel the first week or 2nd week really, its just getting away and having a nice holiday that I care about.

The price seems great as well. Sorry to sound silly but how does it work, where do you get on the cruise?? And do you fly home from Turkey after staying there the week?? Sorry to sound so daft but I really dont know how it works as I havent done it before. I was hoping to go around 5th July, do you know how often you can do it??

Thanks for all your help
;)
Shepj7,
2010. 5th July - Fly to Marmaris from Belfast
Taken to the Ship by coach. which is docked in Marmaris.
7 days on Thompson Celebration.
Cruise Name Ottoman Treasures visiting
Istanbul - Canakkale - Kusadasi - Thira - Rhodes Town and then back to Marmaris.
12th July leave ship and get taken to Hotel in Olu Deniz.
19th July taken back to the Airport at the end.
Just like any old package tour. You are lifted and laid. fantastic :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.