Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Pepsicat,

I would agree Varadero probably isn't for you. It's a resort set on a 20km peninsula so depending on where your hotel is situated, all you have around you is hotels. If you stay at a hotel towards the downtown area, for example the Barcelo Solymar where I stayed, there's a selection of bars and shops you can walk to at any time of day (the reason I chose to stay there). There's also the shuttle bus service that circulates the resort and you can get a day pass and just hop on and off whenever you want. I've never been to the Bavaro area of Dom Rep, I've been further south and I wouldn't say you can't go out. You have to take a common sense approach, like anywhere you travel. I wouldn't go out at night, but through the day you should be ok. As long as you don't flash the cash and jewelry and be sensible, you'll be fine. You will see locals walking around with machetes, but that's normal over there as they are working tools. Hotels have good security so you'll be safe enough. You'll find hotel reviews on the Hotel Review Forum.

Darren
Pepsicat,

Here is a resort map of the whole of Punta Cana which will be possibly of help to you, it shows the areas of the shopping plazas and other info.
Just click on full size image which will enlarge the photo to give you a clearer view.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/304320/photo247.html

Angie.
hi i stayed at the barcelo in puerto plata donminican thought it were great, just outside the hotel is a shopping mall with shops n a couple of bars, it was safe to go out of the hotel with no problems at all, take a look i can highly reccomend this hotel, i dont normally go back to the same hotel but am planning to return for my 50th with friends.
i went on my own with my 10 year old and never felt unsafe for either of us , where ever you go have a fab time ,im taking him to cuba in 5 weeks on my own again :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.