Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
MONEY EXCHANGE
115 Posts
there is a sticky thread above.
have a look here
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1099271#1099271

there are loads of ATM's in lloret, and as some of the shops etc will be closed at christmas that is probably your best bet.
  • Edited by David 2008-01-03 14:54:35
    Thanks Jim .. topics now merged to reduce duplication
:D We are thinking about staying at the Royal Beach Hotel is there any money exchange places near there ?
the royal beach will change up english money in reception, but i dont know the exchange rate.
the robin hood pub will also take sterling -again i dont know what rate you would get.
there are ATM's up the road from the royal beach. out front door, turn left and about 50 yards away there are machines on both sides of the road.
Hi
There are many money exchanges in Lloret but look around before you buy. Search for small shop exchanges and barter a bit. The euro is very low at the moment so look everywhere in the UK first. Nearly all the banks will change money for you. Beware of the ATMs as some charge up to 10€ for a transaction especially in Lloret - robbers. Pick a proper Bank with the ATM inside.
Jenny
can you please tell me what the euro rate for pounds is at the moment in costa brava please
thanks
jan
Hi,
Going to Tossa de mar on Sunday, can anyone tell me what the exchange
rate is in resort? :sun2
Just back from a week on costa brava. The euro exchange rate is a killer. We spent a fortune. 5 euros for a spirit and mixer pretty standard. 3 or 4 euros a pint. Food prices high. These were similar euro prices as last year in spain but the exchange rate drop has just made it even worse. Its cheaper to eat / drink etc now in the UK than it is in spain. Even the cheap lunch option at 3 euros for a cheese and ham baguette (thats £2.50) and a beer at 2.5 euros (thats £2) is still costing you £4.50 for a pint and a sandwhich.

Now i know why so many folk are going to turkey.
Yes, Spain IS getting more expensive. But so is Britain and the rest of Europe. The fact is, when you get served a spirit, you get twice the quantity as you do in Britain.
Drink wine, it's far cheaper and much nicer!
Also, now that we have a national minimum wage in Europe, wages are higher in Spain. You can hardly blame workers in Spain for wanting a decent liveable wage. Especially when they often get hassled by rude British people spending money and get plastered every night. As a consequence, prices will go up in bars. The food in restaurants is still far cheaper than in Britain! You can still eat out cheap, you can get a menu del dia from €7-€10!

Yes, it is cheaper in Turkey, but they aren't in the EU, and the workers don't have as many rights. The general cost of living is also considerably cheaper than in the rest of the EU.
If you are complaining so much about Spain, go to Turkey then.
I don't know where you live, but it isn't cheaper to eat out in the UK!!!

Taking your example, £4.50 for a beer and a sandwich. I can't think of any restaurant in the UK where two people can sit outside and enjoy two sandwiches and an alcoholic drink for less than £10.................maybe Witherspoons at a push, but that is it.
ok. i have nothing against Spain. It used to offer cheap "blackpool in the sun" holidays. And it was able to compete with other holiday destinations on price and weather. Now its too expensive. There are lots of scenically nicer parts of the world and spain will not be able to compete with these based on high prices and shabby resorts. Also the UK pound has dropped 20% compared to last year against the euro (ie the pound in your pocket is worth 20% less than last year).

Lets be honest, a hell of a lot of Spains costa resorts are tired and shabby concrete jungles, full of Red Lion and Victoria pubs. I can buy that if its cheap. But i no longer am willing to spend what is now a considerable sum of money to go and stay in an imitation blackpool shabby resort no longer. I have always holidayed in Spain but i think i may have finally reached the end, and am booking somewhere else for next year for the first time ever. Without the value, the costas will have difficulty competing with other places.

By the way i did enjoy my holiday. The beaches and weather were great.
Travel money card or Travellers cheques, which is the best to use, concerned about using ATM machine, are they availible every where in Costas? Thanks everyone
can anyone please tell me what the euro rate is in malgrat at the moment please
thanks
jan
connie 1
there are ATM's in every resort in costa brava and are probably better than using travellers cheques.
just make sure you understand what your bank will charge you for withdrawing money as it is cheaper to withdraw €200 in one hit than have 5 transactions of €40.

mrabulldog
when i was there earlier this year, the tabacs were quoting 3 cents above the tourist rate shown in the newspapers, but rather than carry all that english cash i still believe ATM's are the way to go, unless you are just using english money to buy lots of ciggies/baccy
I am taking travellers cheques this year, I normally cash them at the hotel reception forwhich I am usually charged 2 euros per 100 euro cheque, the girl at the bank informed me that she was charge 2 euros fo a cheque for 50. Can anyone tell me what is the going rate and if there are any cheaper ways to change money.
If you read the Currency topic at the top of the General Holiday Enquries topic it is recommended that you take sterling travellers cheques rather than euro ones as there is no commission charged on them as there is with euro ones.

The cheapest method of getting cash abroad is to use the ATM's and the Nationwide FlexAccount in particular as it doesn't charge any fees and you get the full Interbank rate rather than the tourist rate.

luci :wave
hi does anyone know how much the euro rate is on the costa brava at the moment
thanks
jan
Reading this forum, i pretty much agree with a lot of the greed shown in parts of Spain now, but there's only one way to stop it

don't entertain it!!

I still love going to the Costa Brava, but i won't pay silly money for a meal or a drink anymore, and can still have a reasonably priced holiday by avoiding such places :tup
The price rise of food and drink isn't really a problem for me and my family. We always go full board (at The Maripins), which is still good value for money, and as none of us are big drinkers the cost of drinks isn't an issue. The upside of this hopefully means there will be less lager louts in the resort (not that there has ever been much of a problem with this), and it may hopefully have a more family orientated feel about it, as it did in the seventies and eighties.

Can't wait to go :sun2
please can someone advise me or though its too late, i have bought Euro Travellers Cheques amd some Euro currency, but i have just read that i will get a poor exchange and high commision in Spain, how will i know the difference when i'm there to Stering travellers cheques, we go tomorrow and now i'm worried that our spends will be very limited. I took advise from my Halifax branch which is were i got them. Any advise :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.