Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
1.09 Euro for £1 yesterday in town for cash.

That's approx a 10% increase in the past few weeks.
Hi Brodev, you can either go into nationwide website @ http://www.nationwide.co.uk/search/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=1259 and click on visa rates. or go directly to http://www.corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp
Put pound to euro in boxes then underneath it shows bank charges rate put 0% in there and it will give you the rate for that day for transactions. Hope the links work.
Forgot to mention, any transactions done today you would get a rate of 1.15 to the GBP
Another half a cent for your money

Today's rates for cash in Albufeira

£ 1.094
USD 0.741
CAN D 0.592
Yesterday's rates for cash in Albufeira

£ - 1.015
US $ - 0.719
CAN £ - 0.546
morh. where do you live, i 'm coming over the best rate i can find any where is 1.04 :yikes
crowncurrencyexchange.com giving 1.0698 for delivery between 11th April & 21st April.
Hi Nosivad

I got that rate on 19/2/09 from the Post office (still have my slip). Ordered online and had free delivery to my door the very next day by my postie. Every single day I check out the rates so I can get off my mark when the rate is good (it hasnt been that good since!). Often look at Martin Lewis website where you can compare rates.
Rate today Post Office 1.0706

If you order online, over £500.. rate 1.0773
Less than a month before I go to Albufeira but just wondering the best way to keep my money safe. Dont think my appartment has a safe so would it be better to keep all my money in travellers checks and exchange them when and where I need to.
On the subject of where, are there a plentyful amount of bureau exchanges or anywhere to exchange travellers checks

Cheers :D
Hi, could anyone tell me if there is a bureau de change or money exchange in Cabanas or would we have to go to Tavira? Also, if there are places to change money, do you know what commission they charge? We're off to Cabanas next month and depending on what exchange facilities are available we'll have to plan accordingly.

Ta in advance.
I am 90% certain I saw one in Cabanas when last I was there but don't quote me on that. I am sure someone will know for sure.

None of the change offices I have ever seen/used in the Algarve charges commission as such, but because of that you will always get a couple of cents less to the pound than if you changed your money in the UK.

Either way, you will have a large wad of cash waiting to be lost or stolen.

Use the cashpoints or take great care!
Ok - it doesn't look as if this question has been answered recently. I haven't been to europe for over 2 years now.

What's the current consensus on the best way to take your holiday money?
Exchange cash here? exchange over there? TCs or cards?

I seem to remeber that a lot of the card companies have started charging more for using abroad again?
In my opinion, it's best to open a Nationwide Flex account and then use
your debit card from that account at the ATM's.

Used within Europe, there are NO charges whatsoever for using the card
AND you are given the Visa rate of exchange which is always higher than
the rate any Bureau De Change / Bank will give you.

Check out the rates here...

http://www.corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_results.jsp?from=GBP&to=EUR&rate=0.0

Hope this is of some help to you. :)
I've just returned from Cabanas and I hope this information will help anyone else who goes there. I posted a question on the 17/07 and cubspur was kind enough to reply. There are two banks in Cabanas, Credito Agricola and Banco Espirito Santo. Credito Agricola will change sterling cash only and Banco Espirito Santo will only change travellers cheques if you're an account holder. The girl in Banco Espirito Santo told us that the reception in a compex I can't remember the name of, did change them and so off I went. I found that if they have any money, they do change travellers cheques, but the day I went, they didn't. Later that day we were in The Little Orange and I asked the owner where I could change travellers cheques. It seems that the banks have fallen out with the travellers cheque people and the only place he knew of that still changed them was Western Union in Tavira. I was told that I was fortunate that the reception at the apartments didn't have any money as the rate of exchange was criminal. There are however several ATM's around Cabanas and if you're fortunate enough to have a card that doesn't have massive overheads when used abroad you'll be fine.
HI WE ARE OFF TO PRAIA DA ROCHA ALGARVE IN FEBUARY CAN YOU TELLO ME WILL MY CIRRUS CARD BE ACEPTABLE IN THE ATM AND ARE THERE ANY ATMS IN PRAIA DA ROCHA THAT ACEPT CIRRUS.
welcome to the Portugal forum of HT

Please do not shout [type in capital letters] see terms of posting

1) Do NOT post in all CAPITALS - Your post WILL be deleted.
[your other post have been]

look for an ATM showing either the Crius or Mastercard logo

wizard
post deleted
Rules Of Posting:
1) Do NOT post in all CAPITALS - Your post WILL be deleted.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.