Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Remember that if you order currency from Travelex in advance for collection at the airport, you get a much better rate than the walk up rate.

luci :wave
Has anyone been since September ? I see the Travelex pre order rate today is 2.706.
According to my desktop 'Gadget' it's currently at 2.794 (been hovering around the 2.8 mark pretty much all the time)

^ Bear in mind this is bank rate - but not usually far off the mark if you're buying.
Thanks, I was referring to the Rate in Turkey, "hence has anybody been". :)
Frank wrote:
Thanks, I was referring to the Rate in Turkey, "hence has anybody been". :)

Seems the answer is no lol

Going on past rates etc. with the current bank rate at 2.79 today, I reckon it will be around 2.65-2.70 ish

Doesn't really make a lot of difference unless you're changing large amounts of money...
Sunseeker, as a former ex-pat, your exchange rate of 2.79, you would be looking to get 2.74/75.

Les
Noticed the bank rate is high at the moment, seen 2.85, wondered what people were getting in resort?
ruth24s wrote:
Noticed the bank rate is high at the moment, seen 2.85, wondered what people were getting in resort?

You're misleaded Ruth, not sure where you got that figure from but it's hovering around 3TL to £1 at the moment, it went over 3 in the last few days and has just dropped to 2.994 right now. According to other forums and facebook pages, most people are getting around 2.95 in resort at the moment (I heard a few saying they got exactly 3.00 in the local supermarkets and small shops recently).

Looking good for us at the moment but not good for the Turkish ecconomy!

Justin
Hi, sorry, that figure was just from the Asda website for currency to buy from UK. It was the other half who has told me it had hit a little over 3 to the pound. The turkishairlines flights have come down too, we booked to go Istanbul Xmas/New Year for 177 each, which for TA I think is good.

Thank you for the info.
ruth24s wrote:
Hi, sorry, that figure was just from the Asda website for currency to buy from UK. It was the other half who has told me it had hit a little over 3 to the pound. The turkishairlines flights have come down too, we booked to go Istanbul Xmas/New Year for 177 each, which for TA I think is good.

Thank you for the info.

Yeah, that is a good price Ruth, hope you have a fantastic xmas over there.

I bought some Lira in UK a few weeks ago when it jumped up a little (I got 1,430 Lira for £500 which works out at 2.86). I know it is better in resort but as we don't go for another 5 weeks thought it would be worth the risk - never imagined it would have gone higher lol. Suppose it's the risk you take - a bit like stocks & shares...

Justin
I wonder if any one can advice me. I have currency left over from a trip to turkey back in june 2007.
I read that they have change the currency again, thou it is still valid. Can someone advise me would this be accepted in shops etc, or where would I go to get this changed up? I believe its the eight revision from what I read on the web
Anyone give me a current in resort exchange rate.
Post office is offering 2.83 tlr to the £ at the moment and this seems a good deal.

lee parson, only just seen your post and probably too late to help. I got some of the last issue changed in June but it was a bit of an effort. unless you can find a kindly turk to exchange it for you, you will need to go to a bank and even then may struggle a bit.
del949 wrote:
Anyone give me a current in resort exchange rate.
Post office is offering 2.83 tlr to the £ at the moment and this seems a good deal.

lee parson, only just seen your post and probably too late to help. I got some of the last issue changed in June but it was a bit of an effort. unless you can find a kindly turk to exchange it for you, you will need to go to a bank and even then may struggle a bit.

What do you mean by that then?
the old currency is still legal tender but restaurants etc wont accept it.
You will need to take it to a bank to get it changed, but not all banks will exchange it.
A waiter at a restaurant took mine and changed it from his own pocket as he said it was easier for him to get it changed than it was for me.
I was only changing 20 liras so not a big issue
Ive just read a restaurant in the old village in Icmeler is offering 3TL to the pound. :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.