Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi

can anyone advise which places in Dalyan to head for for good exchange rates (1st timer) Going in July ,banks/shops/bars ?? :que :que . From what I've read best to take GBP and change to Lira over there ?

And will I deffo have to change my Scottish notes for English ?? :think

Thks peeps.
Hi Les ...any updates on the in resort rates for sterling ?
DOA it is 2.85 at the moment and so still expect to get around the 2.80 mark which is still very good. Jelly, most definitely bring English notes. Not having stayed in Dalyan all I can say is ask some of your fellow holiday makers where they are changing their money. Failing this, check out jewellers or PTT(Post Office) who usually give a good rate.

Les
Cruisecontroller wrote:
DOA it is 2.85 at the moment and so still expect to get around the 2.80 mark which is still very good. Jelly, most definitely bring English notes. Not having stayed in Dalyan all I can say is ask some of your fellow holiday makers where they are changing their money. Failing this, check out jewellers or PTT(Post Office) who usually give a good rate.

Les

Cheers Les we arrive 29th June so hope it's still high then, all the best

Stephen
Jelly, i've asked your question on an ex-pat forum and have got two answers, one person recommends Aksoy Jewellers who are open long hours, the other said the Banks are very good. My advice is to take enough lira from the UK to get you through your first day, say £50 worth.

Les
:tup

aww cheers for that CruiseController, very helpful !

5 weeks and 3 days woohoo :cheers
We normally go camping in France for our summer holiday so we buy most of our food in supermarkets and put it on the credit card. This summer circumstances meant we had to do something different so we are off to Marmaris at the end of next week on a self-catering holiday. How much will we be able to use our credit cards for meals etc? I recall having problems using the credit card in German supermarkets in 2003 when we camped there and we ended up having to use ATMs to get cash so we are trying to avoid that problem again.

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
elaine80,

Personally, I would never rely on a credit or debit card abroad. If you lose it, it gets blocked or swallowed by a machine, you have a problem. Credit cards are widely accepted so you shouldn't have too much trouble, but I'd take cash and have a credit card for emergencies personally.

Darren
Thanks Darren. We always take a combination of cash, debit cards (only ever used a handfull of times abroad and only to withdraw cash at an ATM) and credit cards (we each have our own card/account) to cover every eventuality but having had problems with using the credit cards in Germany I just wanted to be sure we had that option in Marmaris.
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
elaine80,

Personally, I would never rely on a credit or debit card abroad. If you lose it, it gets blocked or swallowed by a machine, you have a problem. Credit cards are widely accepted so you shouldn't have too much trouble, but I'd take cash and have a credit card for emergencies personally.

Darren

I do the same, I always take cash, a mixture of Lira and Sterling. I did use an ATM last year as we were starting to run low on funds, but this is mainly in case of emergencies and would never rely on my bank card alone.

Justin

P.S. My 200th post :)
is anybody over there at the moment or just come back ? wondering what the rate is like in resort at the mo? x
alizda wrote:
is anybody over there at the moment or just come back ? wondering what the rate is like in resort at the mo? x

I reckon about the same as this time last year, seems to be hovering around the 2.6-2.8 mark at the moment.

I might buy £800 of lira over here, can get some good prices from here: http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/

depends on how much you buy whether you get free delivery or not though.
last year was excellent! the price of some things had gone up in lira but with great exchange rate it actually made things cheaper than in 2010 lol!!

think we were getting around 2.76 last year so be happy with that again

i only ever get £100 here - negotiate better rates with english over there lol!
Changed some money this afternoon and got 2.78 which should please Alizda and DOA especially, have yourself a good time. All the best. :cheers

Les
Cruisecontroller wrote:
Changed some money this afternoon and got 2.78 which should please Alizda and DOA especially, have yourself a good time. All the best. :cheers

Les

And me! I'm going in 4 weeks today (28 sleeps) :cheers :sun2
SunSeeker2011 wrote:
Cruisecontroller wrote:

Les

And me! I'm going in 4 weeks today (28 sleeps) :cheers :sun2

yep Les I leave tomorrow morning so well chuffed with that rate :sun2
My hubby has asked me to enquire if it is best for us to take travellers cheques with us on our hols to Olu Deniz?? If we do will we get the same exchange rate as exchanging stirling??? Silly question??? :que
Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Personally, I wouldn't bother with travellers cheques. I've not used them for a while. You'll get a similar exchange rate, but it's more hassle than it's worth. Just take a small amountof lira and the rest in sterling as you'll get a good exchange rate out their. The only advantage with travellers cheques is security so make sure all your cash is kept securely in a safe.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.