Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Should have maybe held off a bit, Saga are now offering 2.849.

Thing is, I suppose it could have quite easily gone the other way lol. The way it's going bank rates will be over the magical 3 I reckon...

If it does go up much more I suppose I'll get more for my £300 in Turkey, if it drops I've got enough to still have a good holiday :sun2

Justin.
Seems to be levelling out at around the 2.8 now - bank rates around 2.95 so all good for my impending visit (although I'm pretty much settled on the money front as I had another 860 Lira delivered from Saga on Saturday morning).

This time in 2 weeks I imagine I will be sat by the pool recuperating from my overnight travels with an ice cold Efe's and some tasty baklava lol
when we left yesterday we saw one shop offering 2.909!! most of the exchange offices didn't change from 2.8295 the whole time there - it was only the little shops/travel shops that changed daily

you are best to shop around or get friendly with one shop owner and they give you a little more for being returning customer!!!
So are you back in Blighty now then alizda, how was your holiday? let us know please...

Justin
i am :(

when i get over the depression and despair of it all i will put a review on lol!!
Sorry to hear you're back alizda, always slightly depressing returning from a carefree holiday back to the daily routine of work & sleep, work & sleep...

But will keep an eye out for your holiday report (where did you stay again?)
Hi, Is it better to take Lira, Euro. English or Dollar to Turkey, going in October
We have always taken £100 worth of lira to get us started and the rest in sterling. The exchange rate in the UK at the moment is very high, so if you can afford it, change your £100 now. Look back through this Discussion to see where people are getting the best deal.

Les
we always take approx £100 in lira then the rest in stirling - you would be losing out changing money into either Euro or Dollar and then changing again into lira
I've changed the majority of my money into Lira as the rates are really good at the moment (almost an all time high). They haven't been anywhere near what they are now since 2006.

I'm taking 1800 Lira and I will also be taking around £200-£300 in Sterling (Pounds) as they will accept English money in Turkey and you can barter better in the shops with English money too as they get good exchange rates.

If you are going to change any money into Lira I would suggest you do it now, I used Saga but it also depends on how much you are exchanging as most have minimum orders for free delivery so this can affect your overall rate.

Have a look on this site, it lets you know at-a-glance what rates you can get on-line:

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/

hope this helps and also.... Have a great holiday :) :sun2
Hi everyone
im going to turkey in 2weeks time for 1week.im planing to take 2000 lira with me for spending money,will that be enough???
mario_covis wrote:
Hi everyone
im going to turkey in 2weeks time for 1week.im planing to take 2000 lira with me for spending money,will that be enough???

Should be plenty, I'm taking a similar amount for 2 weeks for 2 of us lol.

Hope you have a great time (where are you going).

Only 10 more sleeps til I go :sun2

Justin
cheers justin
im going to kusadasi

10 more days for me to
:cheers
mario_covis wrote:
cheers justin
im going to kusadasi

10 more days for me to
:cheers

Nice one, How many are going (just you or a partner/family). If there are a few of you 2,000 Lira should still be ok for 1 week depending on what you like to do when over there. For example if you want to go on loads of trips and do water sports etc. then 2,000L should be fine for 1 person but maybe will get a little tight if there are a few of you going.

But like I said, for 1 person for 1 week it's more than enough.

By the way, I'm not sure if you've got your Lira yet but if not, now is a good time - never been this high since 2006 :)
:cheers :sun2
Seems I bought at just the right time, rates have started to dip now, hope it's only temporary for all those who haven't got their holiday money yet...

Justin
Most of the big sellers are now under 2.8 now. Not plunging rapidly but if you haven't got your holiday money yet, NOW would be a very good time to buy...

I was lucky, I bought a big chunk of mine at 2.863.
Hope I'm as lucky with the weather (although that's 'almost' a dead cert lol)

Only 8 sleeps til I go to Turkey :) very excited now :sun2
hi everyone
I wonder if someone can please help me with prices off clothing in turkey?
like t-shirts
fip-flops
jeans
and all the fake desinger clothes im hearing about
thank you
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.