Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi WG,

I've been to both many times. I too love Cyprus and it's always my first choice.

However I absolutely loved Turkey & we've been 6 times, what I would say is choose your resort carefully, avoid the over commercial areas like Marmaris and look at some other quieter resorts - Olu Deniz, Kalkan & Kas as examples. All simply beautiful and not over touristy. The Turkish love children with a passion and always make a fuss of them.

As for the Blonde comment etc. I can only go on personal and friends experience's......never had any hassle in the smaller resorts but I know people who have suffered from what you mention in Marmaris and this sadly put them off Turkey. Each to their own I suppose but all I can say is that the Turkish people are very friendly and welcoming alomst like all of the Greek Isles were before tourism became a full blown affair.

I would recommend trying it.......but research well and take advise in the Turkey forum on resort choice :tup
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'll pop over to the Turkey forum now.
I too love Cyprus and have stayed in Pahos, Coral Pay and Protaras several times. This year for the first time I went to Turkey and can honestly say I would love to go back. I was concerned about possible hassle (I went with a friend) but we had a wonderful week in Kalkan which is a beautiful place. I found the people lovely and welcoming. Yes, they want you to come into their restaurant or shop, but they chat and don't pressure you -a polite no thanks, or we'll come back tomorrow was all that was needed. As 2 women on our own we didn't fell hassled at all, but Kalkan is a small and friendly resort - I don't think I would be keen to try anywhere like Marmaris (sorry any Marmaris fans).
Hi All,

Speaking through experience...i've visited both Turkey 3 times and Cyprus twice. Both places had so much for me and my partner to do, lots of entertainment opportunities, friendly people and HOT WEATHER! If i was to move to one of the places it would probably be Cyprus. My reason for this is my husband wasn't really keen on the idea of going back to Turkey because most of the Turks DO hassle you. We stayed in Marmaris the first time and the hassling here was too much. The second time we stayed in Antalya, away from the center. It was alot quieter here. As the comment above says it really all depends on where your looking to invest in. If you like the lively places then your bount to get hassled, if your interested in the quieter places then invest in somewhere away from the center were there is less hassling. All in all i found Turkey a lovely friendly place to visit and i'll deffinately be returning in the future. Personally i think its not a place for the men to visit (especially not the english!) mainly because the turks do hassle the woman alot and use their charms until you give in to buying things from them. And the men obviously don't like other handsome males flirting with their partners! But Turkey is such a lovely place (especially for the single ladies!) and its very very cheap!

On the other hand i'd prefer Cyprus if i was to invest mainly because im now 25 and planning a baby with my partner, Cyprus in my opinion seem'd like a quieter more relaxing holiday destination. I think its mainly best for the older generation or parents with younger children.

Goodluck wherever you choose!

Sally
x
ALL euro zone countries seem expensive at the moment due to the poor exchange rate.. I'm a greekophile however i have tried turkey and been all around southern Cyprus, as a personal opinion i have always found the Cypriots more friendly than the main land Turk's and less pushy as for prices i can only compare this year turkey/Greece and i must say our holiday last week in Zakynthos was far cheaper in the restaurants and bars than turkey, however what i will say is Cyprus can be as expensive or cheap as you want to make it, stay in resort and eat at resort prices move a few miles out and eat/drink local produce and you could save a bomb.
at the end of the day the choice is yours you pay your money and take your chance so where would you prefer to go and wherever it may be remember it will be warmer than the UK and cheaper than going to Blackpool/Brighton or wherever in the UK

wiz
We went to Turkey several years back and stopped in Marmaris....

Yes fantastic place to see, hot weather, (over) friendly people, food seemed ok what we saw of it as we went all inclusive at a hotel that was taken out of the brochures the week after we returned ! So we ended up eating out with what money we had put to one side for emergencies... We still had a good holiday and enjoyed being there but....

Somethings did bother us...

Trying to walk down the main drag and being asked and sometimes handled into shops and café's - this might often take the form of stopping one of our children which then meant we had to stop...

Going on the beach with said children (small group of ours and my brothers ranging from 2 year old to 11) and as they started to play in the sand suddenly having a group of about 3 or 4 much older boys (18ish) appearing and starting to play along side them ! This was probably perfectly harmless but a group of 18 year olds wanting to play around an 8 and 11 year old (blond) girls set alarms ringing !

Walking along the harbour and having young adults actually getting in your way to talk while a mate starts to "clean" your footware in hope of payment (fair enough trying to earn money, but wiping sand of my £5 flip flops after getting in my way and expecting me to pay you is a gnats whatsit from mugging if you ask me !)

These were only our experiences and if someone said here's a free holiday we wouldn't turn it down, but given the choice.... I know where we would prefer...!

(already got next years brochures...)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.