Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Magsy,

the Tamil relief situation is very political.the following link helps to explain what has happened in that area.

http://www.ipsnews.net/new_nota.asp?idnews=27036

Cheers,

Tony
Just got back from an 11 night cruise on Costa Magica. We caught the 7.10am flight from Heathrow to Milan on Alitalia. What a disaster. We got to the airport about 5.15am but couldn't join the massive queue because a sign told you not to join before 5.30am. We did this but every so often Alitalia would call people forward who were going on earlier flights. This happened about 3 times. One British couple behind us were very angry and tried going to one of the counters to see if they could be taken 1st. (They were very posh and probably didn't think they should be queuing with the rest of us). After he was sent back from one desk, a few minutes later she went to another check-in desk and lo and behold she signalled him to join her. That was them taken care of. The rest of us were still queuing at 6.45am. We had to run to the gate so there was no time for duty free. Because we have different surnames and were separated the last time on Alitalia I took the trouble to ring them us beforehand and explained the situation and "booked" seats side-by-side. What happened when we got to the desk - separated. What is the point? What is the point? On the plane the breakfast was disgusting and the pilot was up and down like a yo-yo. His descent was appalling. The worst thing though was when we were waiting to take off my husband noticed that a whole bunch of luggage was being covered up and being taken back to the terminal. Sure enough half the people on the cruise only received part of their luggage. They had to fill in reports and that delayed the bus departure time. The worst of it was knowing that Alitalia had done it deliberately because there was so much freight on the flight that they just didn't bother loading all the luggage! Unbelievable. Luckily Costa arranged for the luggage to be delivered to Naples (our next stop) but Alitalia couldn't have cared less. My husband reckons it was lucky we were very late getting our luggage checked in as that meant our bags were on the top of the heap and would have been loaded 1st. (Don't know if that's the case or not).
Costa Magica is an Italian ship - as is MSC Melody and I was interested to see how the Italian cruise experience differed from the American experience. Well it was definitely "Cruising as only Italians know how"!!! Everybody was complaining about the food & service. I don't know if this was because the Magica is a fairly new ship and therefore has teething problems but the organisation was 0. All the announcements were in 5 different languages and the shows were limited (obviously because comedians etc were out because of the language situation). A few of the shows were good but very amaturish. The open seating at breakfast & lunch in the dining rooms was a shambles. They didn't "fill up" the tables, you could sit where you wanted but when you placed your order with the waiter it didn't go any further until he'd filled a whole sheet of orders from nearby guests. It meant waiting anything up to 20/30 mins for your 1st course. There was a lot of Italians on the cruise (obviously) and a lot of family groups which resulted in a lot of noise - even in the corridors late at night.
Costa had us out of our cabin by 8am and on the bus and on our way by 8.45am. We arrived at the airport by approx 11am and when we joined the queue for check-in were told to come back at 12 midday. Obviously dragging your luggage around the airport is out so most of us just grouped together & chatted. I recognised someone from our bus going to check-in and they told us the flight was overbooked and we should get our seats even if we couldn't check in our luggage. So we joined the queue again. This time some of us were allocated seats (again I had rung and booked the seats beforehand - to no avail) but our luggage was weighed and came to 48 kilos. The chap told us to take some out and put it in our hand luggage. Doh. Some people were allocated their seats, some were not. Some had their luggage taken and some didn't. Absolutely no consistency whatsoever. After putting the extra weight from our luggage and putting it in our hand luggage we were able to check-in. At one of the other check-in desks an Egyptian chap & his wife put their luggage on the belt and it came to 61.5 kilos. Was he asked to take anything out - no. Did he have to pay extra baggage - no. I was mad as hell. At least we were in the 40's. I reckon people are frightened to upset these people and stick to "safe" targets like us. People who more or less stick to the rules and the ones who go completely beyond reason get away with it. As expected our flight was delayed and departed over an hour late. Again the pilot was up & down like a yo-yo and we had to circle Heathrow probably because we missed our slot. The meal was disgusting (but that was expected).
Realising I'm travelling with Alitalia again in July on my way to the MSC Melody fills me with despair. Surely things will have improved by then! Let's hope so.
It sounds as if phil has beenworking hard,its good to hear his news,what a nice man he must be.Do you reckon we can go back to D.E.and request our cruisrs for £10 and get apartial refund on our extra amounts or just accept that the playing feild is not even? :? i am waiting to hear if i am one of the lucky ones for the dvd player,but at least we were told there is only so many.,not like the cruise evrey one a winner..my confirmation didnt say aything about sharing soi hopei am not i like my own space..i think i am leaving my pond cruise to look after themselves and i would like to come on the garden cruisei am sure i could be useful with a bottle opener anda few bottles of wine..carol.
Leslyfb.just read your report wow what a disaster :!: your flight sounds horrendous.was it a D.E.cruise?i hope your next one will make up for this one.it must get better,i hope you had some good shore excursions and good foodanyway,and met some nice pople..carol
hi,
sorry about the disaster lesleyfb hope all is better for you next time.
im still a bit concerned about the passport numbers as i havent had a call. one thing rise did ask was the exact name on the passport. htey seemed to more concerned about this than the passport no.anyway no doubt i ll have worried myself stupid i usually do. im always a nervous wreck at the airport till i get checked in!
ann
Fay

Regarding paying for tips in advance. Cunard give you the option to do that. If not it is added to your onboard account. However, I discovered last time that you don't have to pay them and can have the charge taken off! I shall enquire if MSC have the same policy.

I, too, have been told to expect the cruise documents 10 days before leaving.

It is a good job Andy's Kay warned "Watchdog" about the banter otherwise they may have decided to investigate the "taxi cruise". Imagine a reporter knocking on Tony's door (after he has consumed a bottle of wine) asking if he would like to make a statement.

Maureen H
  • Edited by MEH 2005-04-05 15:45:18
lesleyfb -

OMG!!! I'm such a nervous flyer that I'm really worried about the "up and down" bit!

Check in sounds a pain but a bit like Gatwick in the summer holidays so I'm used to that, but a bit worried about not being able to sit with my daughter - she's 15, and we do have different surnames. Is it worth contacting Alitalia beforehand about this? Probably not if your experience is anything to go by.
lesleyfb,

OMG!!!

Thanks for that report............I am now hiding under the dining room table and will be setting off soon on foot to arrive in Genoa by 4th July! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sounds like the sense of humour may be tested a little!

Tony
Tony - only 1 nervous flyer per HT group allowed, and I got in first! :lol:
Lilac,

Iam totally not a nervous flyer (Have glider pilot license and flown microlites!)...........it`s the rest of the report that scares me!

No time for duty-free fags.....whatever next???? :lol:

It does sound something of a shambles.......I can see me eating off the buffet and nothing else.........."man overboard" as Phil would say.

I may have to revue my drinking policy if the service is that bad on Melody........staying paralletic is beginning to seem quite attractive! :lol: :wink:
To be fair to MSC lesleyfb was on a different cruise line so that bit should be fine (total optomist, me).

I am a bit of a nervous flyer: nervous about missing the plane, nervous about missing duty free shops (although Goody Two Shoes here doesn't drink or smoke I so love shopping, and chocolate!), nervous about plane crashing, nervous about missing transfers, nervous about missing ship..... shall I go on? (Once we're there I SHOULD be fine!) :lol:
Because of those Amazon programmes , this week Watchdog is broadcast on Wednesday at 7.30 . So perfect timing to comment on the ASA findings.
Lilac,

I sense that you may get a little, shall we say........"nervous"!

Don`t worry, you can have my sick-bag on the `plane and as it doesn`t look like we`ll be getting much food on board that will not be a problem!

As for missing planes/connections, HT would have my guts for garters if I didn`t meke sure you got there and back safely!

..........that`s all supposing we get to go in the first place of course. (I am as cynical as you are nervous!)
Hi Tony

You'll be pleased to know that, while nervous, I have never, ever been travel sick! (Famous last words?)
hi Trisantona,

Well spotted that man! It will be interesting to see if they DO include that information and comments.

Tony

Lilac.....you`ve never travelled with ME before though!!
Yes Tony, but would that be TRAVEL sick?
Me and a few friends have been misled by a company which I won't mention, but which may have some interest to some visitors to this site.

If anyone's taken legal action against this mystery company, then please contact me, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks

Tony

Edit to remove email address as per the T&C's. Please use the PM facility for contact. Thanks, luci - HT Mod
Transferred from a separate topic

alpal
New User...

2 HTPoints

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:29 pm Post subject: Daily Express Cruise - Receipt of cruise offer details sent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a letter thanking me for taking time to return my cruise offer details.
The cruise is on 11th June to Marseilles, Genoa, Naples, Benghasi, Al Khum, Tripoli, La Valleta, Marseilles.
I have heard nothing and when I called the helpline they say that bthey have no record of my acceptance - so why acknowledge receipt of my details.
I have taken time off work and have bought insurance.
How do I find out if this cruise will take place.

Alapal
Alapal, there were loads of us who were expecting to go on the 11th June Libya cruise only to find out on this site that the cruise was expected to be cancelled. It must be correct as a bunch of us that were originally scheduled for the 11th June have now been offered (and hopefully confirmed) other cruises this summer mostly on the MSC Melody. I would carry on contacting them saying you know other people who were supposed to be on this cruise and are now fixed up with something else. Don't take "no" for an answer. Good luck.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.