Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
debit card fraud
15 Posts
Del

I mentioned this to Verdat or Chris from "The Blanca" the week before last when we were there...said how I knew you through Pat and what had happened and he said "well I am here till 3am most mornings and had never heard that happening before and that you had not mentioned it to him, so I told him you had rushed back to The Tolomen to report it to your bank.

As we were talking two jandarma (police) walked past and Verdat said let me explain to them what happened.... they laughed in my face and said "This is not possible"....I walked away in disgust!!!!
Del - sorry to hear you have had problems. Not been to Bitez this year and we (that is 'Sir' and I) usually take cash in one form or another, so have not used this ATM. I know the one you mean and it is always well used. Let me know how you go on.
Love to you and Evelyn.

Kadi - I understand your feelings. You spend so much time there that you know better than most of us what response you should have had. Is this a sign of the times in Bitez?
Kadi, strange.. as it was either Chris or his brother that tried to help me, telling me that I could get my card back the following day.

The "it can't happen" comment is the one that seems to be the first response of anyone in authority.
BUT, it did.
I couldn't take money out of my account because the machine had taken my card, but money was taken out...as they say, impossible!
I'm going through the process with Nationwide and will let you know what happens, its not the end of the world!

prawn , love to you and Sir... missed you this year.
Not sure if we will make it next year as we are moving house as I have been made redundant and have decided to retire, so will probably be short of funds :(
Hope not Prawn..

We had six wonderful weeks there this Summer :)

We tended to eat around the back more this year...It was not as busy (almost empty our last week) so a lot of the restaurants are feeling the pinch this year ...heard some sad stories. :(
In Marmaris 2 years ago I used an ATM and tried to get 600 lira. The machine gave me my card back and a receipt but no money, stupid me tried again for 500 thinking I was asking too much and it did the same. I decided to try another ATM (HSBC) and it said I had insufficient funds. I returned to the hotel and one of the waiters translated the receipt. It said there was a technical problem with the machine. I contacted the bank immediately and explained. It took about 5 days but my money was returned to me.
The machine had debited my card but not given me the money, what a worrying 5 days!!

I only use HSBC machines now and never had problems with their ATMs.

I hope you get your money back - good luck!
The same thing happened to me in Spain a few years back, it was a Nationwide Debit card, machine returned my card and gave a reciept but no money, tried another machine and it was ok, when I got home I had to fill in a form got a refund no problem
UPDATE
after several letters to Nationwide and several refusals they have now sent the following

you have been the victim of an "Lebanese Loop" fraud and your funds have been reinstated.

So, regardless of the protestations from locals it DOES happen and it DID happen.

It will not stop me from enjoying Turkey in the future, but I am afraid that I wil be less trusting.

Advice to anyone in the same circumstances.
Stay calm and write to your bank/ building siciety with full detals, keep copies, ask for their complaints proceedure and follow them ...always keep copies of all letters and do not engage in phone calls, be prepared to go to the Financial Ombudsman.

Anyway.... RESULT, evet :)
:tup :tup :tup Well done Del pleased you got your dosh back!!!
Glad things turned out OK for you Del :cheers
what is a lebanese loop....tweetie
Google it Tweetie ;) (I did and understand how it's done now) though must admit have only ever used ATM m/cs that are inside a bank in Turkey.
yes , relieved myself. Just some paperwork now for their records.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.