Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Try to go into Panjim or Mapsu for Opticians, they will be 50% less than those in Candolim / Calangute.

For Jewelery try Pop in Jewelers on beach road in Candolim, they do proper white gold, not the plated stuff.
I thought all white gold was plated sam ;)

White gold is made by mixing pure gold with other metals, such as silver and palladium, in the alloying process. The white gold you see in jewellery is actually an off-white gold alloy.

Most white gold items are enhanced with rhodium plating, giving a highly reflective white surface.

nicked this info from a jewelers website
Had dental treatment in Candolim a few weeks ago.very pleased,Dr Sharmilla Macerenas opp The Mango Tree
also had new specs in Optician in the same building.
Can recommend Ali [Tahir] jeweller now in Chandra,s Beach Rd [was at The Highland Beach]had lots of gold and diamonds
from him over the last few years and always very pleased. he,s a great guy :tup
annx
we use dr ambert pimenta in calangute next to tu pak pub :cheers
I've used that dentist too,very good.Has the 2 pak reopened?it wasa shop last year,we used to enjoy sitting outside watching the world go by,really missed it.
Opticians.
my wife and I both got from Eye site in front of Magnum hotel.
we were satisfied when we bought them but I have had to have a completely different prescription less than 2 years on.
I have varifocals so this may have a bearing.

Wife was told she needed specs all the time but UK optician says not so, only for reading.

Draw your own conclusions from this, maybe nothing to do with the quality of testing over there but I will be getting mine in UK from now on and to be honest, with the competition in the UK nowadays the pricing is not vastly different.
Not sure of the name but I went to a dentist above Newtons supermarket - I only had a filling (without anesthetic!!) and it lasted for all of about 10 days before it became a lot more painful than before! I used to have a small hole in the filling and no pain - now I have no hole but one half of a mouth that I can't even chew gum in!

My OH though has had no problems with her filling though (complete with anesthetic!) Looking to get mine re-done so will also take an interest in this thread!!!
We bought two pairs from Romanos in Calangute again this year.We had had our eyes tested at Specsavers before we went (£40) and I had an idea of prices in the UK. Specsavers have some good deals but it means you buy 2 pairs to make the price anywhere near Goa's In my case varifocals, with reactolite, thin lightweight glass and anti glare cost £110 in Goa, Specsavers worked out at about £240 for two pairs ( BOGOF) but the second pair didn't include the reactolite lens. I only needed one pair so it was not a good deal to buy in the UK.
My previous pair from Romano's I wasn't particularly happy with but that was my fault having chosen half framed lenses which I wouldn't again as they loose shape easily and the edges of the lens are prone to chipping if you are not careful when you put them down anywhere.
cheers
Dave
PS They take about a week to make so make an early visit if you are not staying long !!
Between myself, o/h and my brother we have had just about every treatment on offer at a dentist. We use Dr Sandra Mendonca in Mapusa. Wonderful treatment and a lot cheaper than the "tourist" dentists in the Calangute area! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.