UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Nothing in Derby itself, its a dump!

Matlock Bath is nice
Alton Towers not too far
Nottingham [better option for staying] with all better attractions.
Hi Jarvis :)

Hotelwise you're not exactly spoilt for choice, better hotels are a bit out of the city. Mickleover Court is probably the best if you're planning on nights out in the city centre as it's only just over £5 in a taxi and there's a v regular bus service that even runs til 2am on a weekend. Breadsall Priory and Morley Hayes are also worth considering though they're a bit further out and public transport isn't as good so you'd be talking £10 plus in a taxi. Morley Hayes is the newest and has the nicest views though the other two have leisure club and swimming pool.

Friargate in the city centre is the place to go for a drink. Especially nice there in the summer is Tonic bar and restaurant as they have a large terrace on the front and the new La Tasca will be good in summer too as they have a terrace and balcony area.

Entertainment venues are the Assembly Rooms and Playhouse so you could have a look at what's on there during your stay. There's also a couple of multiscreen cinemas just outside the city centre.

Daytime in the city is not over inspiring, you'll find your usual high street shops and Sadlergate is a nice street for designerwear. There's a couple of museums, one The Old Silk Mill, is in a lovely spot by the river but i've not been in so can't say if it's worth a visit. You can also visit Crown Derby Potteries if that's your thing.

I'd take a drive into the Peak District as it's a lovely area to visit in the summer - great scenery, nice walks and lots of interesting little market towns and country houses. Also a short drive away are either Alton Towers or American Adventure Theme Parks.

I guess there's probably things/places i've not even thought of (you tend to not notice things own your own doorstep) but if you visit or contact Tourist Information, located just by the Assembly Rooms, i'm sure they'll have much more info.

Hope this helps, anymore just ask... :D
** Thought of one i've missed already - Ghost Walks. Good fun as they visit some of the haunted pubs so you get a bit of a pub crawl thrown in too!
Hi Jarvis

You'll find Derby tourist info HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

Hope that helps.

Pippy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.