UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
So are you staying actually in Dartmouth where the New Angel is?

So much to do here. Paignton zoo is lovely for all and lots to do and see for yourselves and the children.

You also have a very good variety of beaches here.

As you are National Trust members a lovely place for you to visit is Dartmoor which is beautiful for walks and scenery.

If you are more specific as to where you are staying will gladly help as very knowledgable on Devon (South West especially)
Yes definately the dartmoor area quirky. Very scenic and lots of great farm type attractions for the kiddies. pennywell farm (very hands on), the miniture pony centre is good. becky falls. just a few . you will find no shortage of leaflets when you get there. there is so much to do in that area. Actually probably more than in cornwall. if your kiddies are older you can even climb some of the tors on dartmoor . great fun and no cost involved. just pull over on the designated car parks .

how old are your children ?.
hi thanks for responding my girls will be 6 and nearly 4 when we go . Where we are staying is here(dont know much about the area???? )

http://www.comptonpool.co.uk

thanks for responding
Compton is only 5 mins away from me. It is a peaceful village and with transport easy to get to attractions.

Nearby you have The Churh house Inn for good food and The Smokey (which does a lovely carvery).
An espeaially good eating pub is The Court Farm - Abbotskerswell (very near too :) )

Paignton zoo is only a 10 min drive away from there, as are the beaches. Preston beach is nearest for you.

Your nearest town is Paignton and from here you can catch the Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway for your trip in Dartmouth. The children will like the trip and the scenery is lovely.

Torquay is a 15 min max drive and here you can visit The Model Village in Babbacombe and Kents Cavern in Wellswood.

Paignton also has a Brewers Fayre and Wacky Warehouse suitable for the little ones.

Lots more places to visit and see. Any more help please ask.
Do you have any tips for a smashing cream tea??
im sure someone will recommend a specific place quirky But you will find no shortage of cream teas. ive had too many to count in devon. every pub/cafe/tea shop/sit down gift shop/resturant seems to serve cream tea and believe me you wont want another thing to eat for the rest of the day. You can even buy all the ingrediants you need . i.e clotted cream in the local supermarkets for another go in the evening :D :D
ps cottage looks good .just the sort of place we like to stay when we go.
The best cream tea to die for :lol: :lol: is at Cockington, which is on the way to Torquay.

http://www.devon-online.com/towns/torquay/Welcome.html

A pleasnt morning or afternnon out here to. We go in and out in the summer as found it the best!
thanks for your replies :D

I've written the cream tea recomendation down and make sure we pass through that village whilst we are there

so far ....

Pennywell farm
Steam railway and Dartmouth day-we did the little train to St Ives last year and it was lovely(plus avoided the parking nightmare)
Paighton zoo
and lots of walking and exploring NT sites.

Lynn I can't wait....although i love my foreign summer holiday i love equally my family holiday in England we really are blessed with a beautiful land.
We feel exactly the same here . usually do our "overseas" holiday earlier easter/may then do a cottage for a week over the summer unfortunately this year we are not and im going to miss it :(

lyn
I remember goingto Bigbury -on- Sea a good few years ago when our kids were young, a lovely beach for kiddies, and you can walk across to Burgh Island at low tide.
Great for a bit of retail therapy and lunch - also Salcombe dreamy.
thankyou to everyone who took the time to respond....8 weeks and counting :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.