Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Don't profess to be an expert on the subject but I did notice that Villamoura had boardwalks for easy access to the beach which is a wide expanse of sand. At many of the beach facilities/restaurants I did notice there were disabled toilet facilities. The Marina at Vilamoura is mostly on the flat with a wide chice of restaurants and bars and I saw a number of wheelchair users during my visit.
Hi Princess, I also agree with sunbear regarding Vilamoura it is quite flat for wheelchair users & plenty lovely restaurants on the marina and around the resort. Quarteira is also quite flat with a nice promenade with bars & restaurants, but the resort is very residential with high rise buildings which spoil it, it is also very busy with traffic.My opinion is that Albufeira is a no no for wheelchair users it is quite hilly in the new and old town and the beaches are not that accessable for wheelchair users. Cheers Jayjan
Princess,
Have you looked at Monte Gordo, East of Faro? It is soooo flat there with a great promenade and beautiful beach.
There are loads of wheelchair and mobile scooter users there. It also has lots of nice bars and places to eat as well as shops and I'm sure it has wooden ramps to take you directly on to the beach.
Pat
:glynis
good shot pat

I too was thinking either Mote Gordo or even villa Real de santo antonio
both have some good eating places, several bars and about as flat as the algarve can get, the only thing i cant remember is if VRDSA has a beach

wizard
Don't think it has, Wiz, as it's right on the sea with it's harbour and large boats coming and going. I'd go for Monte Gordo!!!
Pat
:glynis
I have just returned from a great 2 week holiday in Quateira. We rented a 2 bedroom well adapted apartment from http://www.player.pt (look up Gill apartment) Its a 6th floor apartment with access via a large lift. We were picked up from the airport in an adapted van. Tha apartment has everything you need, included a hot tub on the huge terrace! Quateira beach is one of the most accessible I have any known. They have chairs to go in the water. The apartment is one street back from the beach. You only have to cross a small road which has lowered kerbs and the promenade is mostly traffice free. There is just a short section near the harbour which has a road. Yes there is a very busy dual carriageway which runs through Quateira but it is 2 streets back from the apartment. The promenade has lots of bars and restaurants which serve really inexpensive food. It is predominately a resort which caters for Portuguese but we were made very welcome. I hired a powered chair from another company. Any more info wanted just let me know.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.