Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Discussion on Side
120 Posts
we went to side to a wedding late sept last year and the weather was fantastic, side has 2 beaches,there didnt seem to be much in the way of night life but plenty of places to eat, i think there was a night club built into the ruins but we didnt go in there, most of the prices were in euros.we stayed at the pasha star which was right by the weekly market,to get to the town we needed to catch a dolmus to a square full of little stalls and then a tractor to the beg of the town, i must say i loved the week we were there, but much prefer the big resorts like marmaris.
having been to a lot of resorts inc the lovely olu i wasnt too keen on side, its geared up for the germans prices are higher than a lot of other resorts ive visited, how about icmeler thats lovely too, i also liked cesme thats small but pretty place, and i love akyaka although its a lot quieter resort but very scenic, just depends on what you want out of a holiday to which resort suits your needs
I have been to Side in February 2004 and March 2003 and loved the town. We stayed in the Hotel Arum, which is German owned and very efficiently run. We tried attending the Turkish lessons in the hotel until we found that they were in the third year of the course! We escaped quickly even though they kindly offered to translate everything for us.
The ruins are splendid and most of the town is built on top of them.
Manavgat market and the trip up river are both well worth trying. The currency has remained stable (about 2.3) for two years now. Remember that the old lira notes are only legal tender until the end of this year.
The shopkeepers tend to address you in German so I try replying in Greek. That makes them think a bit until they work out that you are English which delights them. Try a Turkish barber. The flame-thrower in the ears concentrates the mind wonderfully.
I went to SIDE with my mum a couple of years ago she was 52 and I was 35. I did find it a bit overwhelming as I cant stand people coming up to me trying to sell me stuff all the time. I was just off with them but my Mum is such a softy she kept ending up in carpet shops!!!! We did avoid the beaches in Side for this reason as well.
We went on a couple of excursions to a roman city (Petra I think) and an amphitheatre, also to the waterfalls where they filmed the tomotei adverts yrs ago all were amazing places.
The restaurants in the old town were more expensive but the food was great. Our hotel was brilliant and all the staff helpful and friendly!!!! It was a JMC hotel so all english guests
:D Right have booked only last night after long searches on the net for 8 of us!! Initially booked for Gran Canaria but after completeing on the pc then found we'd only got booked for 7 nights oh my god!! So phoned quick and it would have been another thousand! So got great bloke to find me somewhere in Turkey and yes he got us Side for less than the 1 week in Gran canaria! Yipeeee i got my way in the end BUT now can anyone give me some info?? Will be staying at Raga apts, please no horror stories but tips alowwed ha, hubby wants to know if any fishing trips available and are the jeep trips worth a go? Me i just want sun and in August i know i'll get it tee hee. Have got the cd done with all the tunes from last year in Gumbet for the lads to get them in the mood(like they need it ha). So any tips or info would be great cheers x :lol:
you dont say if you have been to Side or know the area...
Side is a small but hectic resort..lts full of shops with lots of touts trying to get you to buy...you can think of it as hassle...or a bit of fun...!!theyre only trying.
Side is set within the ruins of an ancient greek city and has some marvellous ruins to wander around in...There's plenty of night life in and around the town.
in august it will be HOOOttttt....and usually heaving..but the beaches are big enough for everybody.
theres also loads of tours on offer..and it would be a shame not to go to at least one nearby world famous place...Aspendos roman theatre is fantastic...a must see place.

hope this helps
:D Thank you shirleyanntr first visit to turkey was gumbet last year so no don't know side but have looked up about all the ruins which hubby is excited about as he's a sculptor!( he has made plaque for queen to unveil in Stafford later this month so watch out on the telly lol).
Nightlife doesn't bother me as long as there are bars open late the older lads can make their own entertainment lol.
Much appreciate your reply xx Jenni xx :wink:
anybody looking for street map of Side - I just found one.
http://www.homeinturkey.com/side_map.htm
:D Thanks that will come in handy x
hi jammydonut...your husband will really enjoy a trip tp the museum in Antalya..and also to ancient Perge..which isnt far
all the ancient statues etc from Perge are in Antalya museum
Perge is a great place to see too...it was greek..then roman..and has the largest stadium in asia..also extensive ruins of roman baths..its history is fascinating too.
Best wishes for the plaque..i will keep an eye out for it.
can any one tell me what the weather was like easter week in side, also was the resort all open with plenty of people about i am trying to convince my friends to go there next year but they think it will be cold and dead there trying to get me to go to benidorm,
See bpbristol went to Arum Hotel; we're staying at Arum apartments in August and would appreciate any tips. !7 and 15 yr old sons will be with us. 8)

Just found this site - great!
Hi Nuttynet,

We were in Side last year from the 21st April until 5th May, there were a few lovely days with warm (not hot0) sunshine however a number of the days and certainly the nights were distinctly chilly. So much so we had to huddle for warmth under the blankets at night! only been once at this time of year so I do not know if this is typical.

HTH

Alistair
Can anyone clarify for me the general layout of Side? I'm a tad confused. :hmmm Most apartments i've looked at in the brochures say 1.5 -2 km to Side centre. Are there two parts to Side? I'm keen to book but I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere. My understanding is that there is an old bit and a new bit :hmmm or am I :shrug wrong any info would be appreciated.
Laurence
The old town of Side is surrounded on 3 sides by sea.The roman ruins are at the entrance of the old town.Both east and west of here are 2 fabulous beaches with a lot of hotels and apartments.We stayed at the Hemera in March which was 30 minutes walk.Over the road from the hotel was lots of apartment blocks,shops bars and resturants.The Dolmus runs every few minutes and costs 1 euro.On the other side of Side(East) is the Sorgun area which is quieter and has luxury hotels along the beach.Kumcov and Coliki are also classed as Side but a little further out.Usually in the brochures there are maps indicating where the hotels and apartments are.
Im off in a week and just booked it last night YAY a little concerned it will be too quiet though - was in olu deniz last year and that was perfect! can anyone reassure me and give any hints and tips with regards to trips and good places to book them, places to go on dolmus etcetc

By the way Im staying at the Arum Hotel
You will love it!.The Arum hotel is a Barut hotel which are an exceptionally good chain of hotels.I stayed in the Hemera which was next door but 2,Over the road from the hotel is shops,bars and resturants.The dolmus into Side is every few minutes and costs 1 euro or 2TL.The beach is beautiful,miles better than Olu beach as its soft golden sand with no shingle.The old town can be reached along the beach in 30 minutes which is a nice walk as there are many places selling drinks.The old town is amazing and approached through the old roman town.The shop keepers do pester you but are good natured.There are lots of local tour operatours offering trips at excellent prices.We went to Cappadocia 12 years ago from here for 2nights and 3 days for £38.These trips are still the same price and this trip is an amazing experience especially if you want to escape the heat.There is a shop selling trips in the shopping preceinct over the road from the Hemera.I was in Side in March and thought the prices were cheaper than Olu last May.The Arum has excellent reviews.Be prepared to meet more european guests in the hotel but they are fine,they dont seem to wear football shirts,Thank goodness!
We're looking at booking to go to side in October this year. Found a good looking deal, all inclusive, at the Hemera club hotel, £481 per person for 2 weeks. Just wondered what this hotal is like. Is there any other hotels in the area that you think are better?. Also is the all inclusive deal worth it?. We've been to Gumbet for the last two years and loved it. We just fancy seeing a new area of Turkey :wink:
anyone been to side?
were flying to antalya airport on 13th june, have been to marmaris, but never been to side.
anyone know anything about it?
thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.