Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi and welcome to the Cruise forum!

In the cruise newsletter delivered to your cabin each evening it should have the name, addresss and phone number of the Port Agency for the next day's port.

If you didn't make it back in time from doing DIY you would have to get yourself to the next port under your own steam and at your own expense, assuming of course that there were flights between the two ports.

The ship sometimes uses this to scare people into booking organised excursions.

We have done Rome DIY twice and would certainly do it again. We never plan to get the last train back, but get the one before it. Even if we were to miss the last train I would just get a taxi as the cost would still be less than the cost of a full day excursion for two people.

luci :wave
Luci is spot on.

The train timetables are avilable here http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html , just remember that the Rome stations are either Roma San Pietro (St Peters) or Roma Termini (the main station in the city). In July, we caught the 3.40 from Termini back, allowing ourselves a timeline to miss two trains and still make it.

Also, if you are coming back from Termini, trains to Civi leave from platform 28, which is a good 10 minute walk from the main station area.
Luci and Donalk are right.
Dont be fooled/scared into paying the high prices the ship is offering. Friend of ours paid £96 per person for a full day in Rome. The bus is not allowed in the centre of Rome so they were walking behind a person holding a sign for 3-4 hours. Not my idea of fun. Although they did get their dinner thrown in. I went on the Destiny this year and followed Donalk's advise. When you walk off the gang plank in any off the stop overs there is always loads of people doing a DIY so you will never get lost. As Luci said Worst case scenario - get a taxi it would only cost you 100 euro from Rome (4 in a taxi). Takes about 1 hour by car. (dead easy). Still cheaper than the £96 p/pers the cruise was offering. See my thread on the Destiny. 8 of us got a taxi for the whole day for 45euro each. Lift and liad around Rome. Didnt have much walking to do. Luvly :tup

regards
Colin B Northern Ireland
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.