General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sorry, can't help with any specifics but have you visited a local travel agent and asked the question? If they come up with some suggestions you don't have to accept right away, you will still have time to use the info to check online and see where it takes you.

Hope you work it out .... sounds great to me. :)
im racking my brains on this one, ive been looking on google etc too but lots of tours once you get there or a 23 nt cruise only and some excursions
let me ring one of my coleagues tomorrow see if she can help
willmail you tomorrow
:D
You do know that on the longer flights, you are on bigger airplanes and will have more leg room. Plus you can get up and walk around.
8)
It's not like on the 3 hour flights to Europe.
It won't be cheap and it will take longer but it will be interesting! Have you looked at booking passge on a freight ship crossing to Canada? More and more shipping lines are waking up to the idea that there are people out there who would prefer to travel by sea but aren't interested in the 'cruise experience'.

The following sites might be of interest:

http://www.strandtravel.co.uk/strand_voyages/travellers_not_tourists.aspx

http://www.freightercruises.com/

http://www.freightertrips.com/index.html

Growing up in Liverpool in a seafaring family it has always been my ambition to travel on one of the 'banana boats' to the Caribbean and back but it looks as if this will be a future retiral trip rather than next year's summer holiday!

SM
One possible solution is to fly via Iceland and stop on the way. Icelandair used to fly to Halifax Nova Scotia.
Hi all
I would like to thank everyone for your interest & helpful suggestions. I will investigate all of them but as for flying, however comfortable, it is a none starter.

Derek : thanks
Not sure what your budget is but would it be possible to go on the QE2 or similar across the atlantic to New York and then use a train (or even a short flight) into Canada. You could then tour and get back to New York for the return ship home. I know that the QE2 does trips across to New York so there may be other ships that also do this.

Just a thought anyway.

Pippa
Hi Pippa

Yes I have looked at that idea but I was hoping that there was an agency or someone who could tie up the connections between trains to & from NY to Canada etc. Plus Hotels & such.

As I said before I think I am expecting too much but I will investigate further.

Derek :shrug
Have you thought of trying a company such as Trailfinders? I don't know whether they do ships and have only used them for Australia/Thailand etc. but they put together exactly what I wanted, including crossing Oz by Greyhound bus, and organising hotels in the Outback, so it may be worth giving them a ring.
http://www.scotlandscruisecentre.co.uk do tailor made cruise and stay holidays so may have some suggestions.

luci :wave
Hi All

I thought some might be interested in an update on our ongoing saga to get to Canada. Well, after much persuasion by her friend, my wife has been very brave & said that she will do the 7hr 15 minute flight to Montreal.
Personally I think that time is incorrect & it will be a touch longer, but I dare not mention it. The trip is for 9 days to Eastern Canada, taking in Quebec,Ottawa,Niagara & Toronto.
I have to admit to taking a back seat in not pushing her to do this, working on the theory that she could get fed up with me, but not her friend of over 50 years. I am just reaping the benefit.
Until 1996 she would not fly anywhere & since then she has been on 23 flying holidays. That's 46 aircraft. I think she is wonderful.
Anyway I am just pleased that all the discussion is over & can't wait until June.

Derek
Derek,

I hope you and your brave wife have a truley wonderful holiday.

Kind Regards
Jackie

P.S. It is a well known fact that wives never listen to their husbands - but a good friend..... :lol:
Hi Derek!

Why not look at http://www.amtrak.com for ideas on how to cross America by rail. I travelled between Philadelphia and San Francisco last year and had a wonderful time. There are trains that go to Canada from New York (and Washington) and I am sure that you would enjoy the scenery and the relaxed method of travel, especially if you choose a roomette or bedroom. There are also trains across Canada.

USA by rail by John Pitt (currently in its 6th or later edition) is essential and fascinating reading. Good luck to you both and bon voyage!
Hi All
We will not be exploring any other ways of getting about North America as I now know she would not like being away too long.
You hit the nail right on the head, Jackie, about friends & husbands. But I am proud of her, as she detests flying but knows it is the quickest way of getting to the places she wants to.

Thanks for your comments & I will say how we got on later.

Derek

:fly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.