General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Though I agree, one can occasionally end up feeling gutted doing this, I know many of us do, especially those like me who book stuff wayyyyy ahead.
There is actually some point to it though. Very occasionally, on an expensive holiday, the price may drop MORE than the deposit you have paid. In this case you can cancel the original, swallow the loss of the deposit, and still be in profit. It can be done!
Guilty as charged. I've never found that a holiday has come down more than around £30 a person though. If I'm happy with the price when I book, then that's good enough for me.
Yes I do to :oops: I know I shouldnt, but just cant help it. Having said that, Ive been lucky, the holiday last year went up by almost £200 the week after we had booked and this year's holiday was an absolute bargain for 10 days and its now sold out for the week before and week after for all 3 durations (1 week, 10 days & 2 weeks) so cant grumble at all :tup
I have checked for the last 2 years.
It doesnt bother me if it goes up as I normally only book 3-4 weeks before,but the last 2 years I have booked in November.
I look and breathe a sigh of relief if there is no availability as our "friends" wont be able hijack our holiday. :rofl :rofl :rofl
Nope! I cannot see the point in getting yourself all worked up if it is advertised cheaper at a later date. :que Some people then automatically think that they should then be refunded the difference :(
Guilty :( I don't know why I do it, I suppose it's to reassure myself I did book at the right price and time and like to feel I got a bargain. The resort I booked showed no availability pretty soon afterwards and the same holiday with another TO is a £1000 more! Glad I booked when I did!
Very very sore point and incredibly close to my heart.

Booked on Sunday to go away 3rd March price advertised at £200 pp - went up as we were on phone by £85 !!!!! oh yes £85 so switched airports. Price came in at £225 but then rose to £259. Looked at various scenarios different flights different days different airport. Girl on phone advised book it before it goes up - a scene too familar to me as last year 1 day delaying booking cost me an extra £75 pp I hesitated and said I'd call back in hour even though she was supposed to finish in 30mins.
Checked dates and made sure cover for work - called her back one and a half hours later (conveniently she happens to be still there) book and pay £520 for 2 of us. Got the flight times and accommodation. Great !

Fight email comes through immediately - accommodation the following day.

Now bear on mind we tried several differnet combinations and settled on 3rd March

Checked confirmation but never really read it as husband called me (as usual impeccable timing)

So laptop on - confirmation opened but not really read then I do what I always do and look to see if it's still on the website - If only I could be like Debbie and not put myself through it

You've guessed - cheaper by £90 pp oh yes! So I phone to try and book it just to make sure it is the exact same holiday and yes it is. The operator tells me prices go up due to flights etc but he failed to see how it could come down - then he tells me to phone customer services in the morning.

By this time I am really angry and go back to my confirmation where lo and behold I find the accommodation is booked from 2nd - 8th and not 3rd - 9th. After all the hoo ha with the girl she booked it wrong!!! Back on the phone to see if the holiday is still available and yes it is. Lovely operator tells me to phone customer services in the morning. I do - they tell me there is nothing they can do it was a computer error b*****t me thinks is flying around. Then they send me new confirmation of dates. Phoned again and was told someone would call back - that was yesterday at 10.30am!! Will be calling again tomorrow

Moral of the story is.......
I really don't know - can someone tell me - as now I'm going away on a holiday I know should be £180 cheaper and would have been if I had stuck to my plan of booking it on Monday!!!!

So your original question is rubbing a ton of salt into a very open wound!!
We've been in the situation where friends have booked in the morning, and by the time I've got round to doing it in the evening it says "last room", and it's been £10pp more. We booked immediately and by the morning, the same holiday on the same dates had gone up by over £100 for both of us.
We booked our main holiday ages ago and I checked it tonight and it is nearly £500 dearer,so glad I booked it when I did.T.
I booked Portugal on a monday in december and on the thursday it had gone down by £100 so I was gutted but ive checked it today and its gone up £100 more so it's just luck really. :(
We've been in the situation where friends have booked in the morning, and by the time I've got round to doing it in the evening it says "last room", and it's been £10pp more. We booked immediately and by the morning, the same holiday on the same dates had gone up by over £100 for both of us.

What are they talking about "last room" if it was still available the next day?!!

Fortunately the price has always increased after I've booked, but then I am a bargain spotter ;)
hi all......thays me alright....I book early then check it right up untill week we go...havent done it for this years hols which I booked last september....now youve reminded me !!!!....tweetie
Hi,
another compulsive checker here,i always book early and keep checking right up until a couple of weeks before i leave.we always go away to the canaries in february usually tenerife and i book as soon as we come back ,i was hoping for a bargain for 2012 with the economy being as it is,
but all the holidays i shortlisted were suddenly coming up only 1 or 2 rooms left which suprised me,so i have booked for 2012 before i have gone on my 2011 hols.
my portugal holiday said 2 rooms left in December with Thomson but I'm thinking its a lie as they are still available.
Hi
I am guilty of checking and re-checking the prices when I have already booked my holiday.Some have been dearer and some cheaper they fluctuate all the time. If I know where I want to go, if the price seems reasonable, I will book . I have missed out before when I have been dithering as to wether to book or not :(
M
I booked our summer holiday before xmas last year and looked yesterday just out of curiosity and it is almost £1000 dearer now!
I don't tend too, nope, but than I go October and I am working way too hard in the summer to check things...
Caz - I've often seen hotels advertise just one room left, and it's still there months later - let alone the next day. I checked my Easter holiday last night, and it's gone up just oer £400 for hubby and I. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.