General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
:tup
Betty boop thats what i need i am like a zombie i fell asleep on the sunlounger while mike was booking us in cuz i felt that bad lol
would i be able to get the tabs from the internet do u think :que
Pip
x
It was a few years ago now Pip....at the time you could only get them over the counter in Australia. I'll have a word and see if I can find the name of them ;) They were great as you had a good sleep..but light...and didn't feel groggy etc. Our first 'sleep' of 3 hours before being woken up for food - we both thought 'well..they didn't work!' couldn't BELIEVE it when we looked at our watches!! LOL! We tucked into our food, including small bottle of wine...curled up on seat and went straight back off again! :D
:tup

Oh yes they seem like magic mike will be pleased as i took some waking to get me to go to the room there was everyone in the bathers and there was me in me travling kit with hand lugage :rofl

Pip
x
Always annoys me seeing questions on how to sleep on a long haul flight. I fell asleep on a flight and got a DVT for my troubles. No way you'd catch me trying to sleep on a long haul again...the question should be how the hell do you stay awake.
good point there sunbear, must admit, we have a 10 hour flight coming up in may and I was only thinking that I probably won't sleep as I'll be so excited, but I would like my 8yr old daughter to have a kip ( she wont, she'll be too excited too ) but hubby will probably sleep all the way !!
wouldn't want him to get a dvt though, so may try and persuade him to put some flight socks on.
We fly back through the night though, so hopefully we will be able to sleep a bit.
I would not rely just on the flight socks, I was wearing them and still got the DVT.
Blimey, sunbear, you've put the heebeegeebies up me now !!! how the heck did that happen ? you must have been really unlucky, surely, as you'd done what you could to prevent this dvt ?
sorry mods going :offtop maybe we should start another thread about this !
would be interested in your story, though, sunbear, maybe it could stop someone else getting poorly.
Juby,
I don't really consider it off topic, as DVT is one of the possible results of the decreased mobility brought about by sleeping on aircraft - the risks may be small but they are there. If people are attempting to bring about prolonged periods of sleep on long haul flights by sleeping tablets, drink, night nurse etc at least they should be made aware that there may be a downside to doing that.
When we flew back from America this summer my GP gave me sleeping tablets. :D I took one but thanks to having a five year old in the middle of me and her mum I never slept!!! :que
On our last flight back from the US, the little boy sitting next to me fell asleep on my shoulder. I didn't have the heart to wake him so I told his Dad it was OK and he slept like that until we landed :rofl
I'm one of the lucky ones who can sleep anywhere. Coming back from HongKong I dropped off almost as soon as we took off and slept until we were over Germany, only waking long enough to eat the meal. I've also slept almost the whole way back from New York and even on the short flight to Tunisia of under 3 hours. I used to worry because I'm pretty certain I snore, but as I'm unlikely to meet any of the other passengers again I decided I just didn't care. :lol:
I can never sleep on a flight, and usually they are long haul. There was only one occasion when i fell asleep, and that was coming back from Goa, i am sure i woke up with a bit of dribble down my face :duh . So after that i have vowed not to fall asleep lol

In 8 weeks we are going to Mexico, our flight is at 9:20am, so we will probably only get a couple of hours sleep at home before we set off to the airport.
TIP

always find a stranger to sit next to.
go to sleep leaning on them
if you dribble on them, it doesn't matter as you are unlikely to see them again :D
:rofl :rofl , my usual sleeping habit is put a pillow on the dropdown tray,and sleep on that, but my body tends to ache after a bit.
sounds like a plan that Betty Boop,

we just need to invest in a holiday truths plane, fly the world in comfort!
When we went to Australia, my wife curled up and dropped off like a baby, I, unfortunately kept waking up as the Japanese lady on my other side had indulged in Sushi! So her breath was a little pisceous! In the end, I just worked my way through a complete collection of Beethoven Symphonies. Well, it worked for me!
I did manage to cat nap on the way to Goa this time, probably had a couple of hours max, the flight went quickly anyway. My return flight was the best ever as I was asleep quite soon after take off. I had started to read the newspaper that TC provided and my eyes just got heavier and heavier, before I knew it, I was asleep. Woke up when the meal came and went back to sleep again afterwards, woke up for breakfast and stayed awake after that - the time flew :rofl It was a night flight which I think probably helped too (although this hasn't made much difference in the past). DVT - I always wear flight socks and I take an aspirin both on the morning of the flight and the morning before, I also try to stretch my legs by having a little walk up and down at least twice during the flight. Not sure if this is enough to protect me from developing a DVT but it must be of some help. Fizz

AND I avoid alcohol during the flight.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.