General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
hi

i can never ever sleep on a plane or the night before im going cos im still like a big kid and too excited....lol....plus im always worrying in case i forgot to pack something......but my husband can sleep antime,any place anywhere and it does my head in.

im not a good sleeper at the best of times and i just bought them nytol but they didnt make a bit of difference....lol
if you find something that works for you please let me know
angie xx
i usually find 8 pints before the flight sends me off to sleep like a baby :D
I don't think ive even nodded off once when flying long haul. I couldn't take a sleeping pill either just incase anything happened and I had to have my wits about me ;)

I just head straight for the beach when we arrive and after something to eat and a few drinks fall a kip on the sunbed :sun2
8 pints paul.......bloody ell im surprised you aint on the loo for the whole flight....lol
angie x
If we are flying late in the afternoon, I find I tend to snooze for a few minutes several times (usually after meals) rather than actually sleep for any great length of time. I don't like to sleep properly because I might miss something like a film on the I.F.E. I am also far too excited to sleep.
I never sleep on any long haul flight we went to new zealand and it took 40 hours two planes and i never sleep at all. i am always envious of anyone that gets on a plane and falls asleep as my OH does with no trouble at all, I've never tried to take anything as i think one of you have to have your wits about you or maybe i am just nosy :D
My problem is if I fall asleep my head tends to drop and then I get such a pain in the neck. I tend to just cat nap and then head to the beach once in Goa - where they generally put us under a nice big shade and we keep the rest of the beach awake with our snoring! :rofl :cheers
im not keen on flying and dare not take anything, my OH said have a drink but it doesnt do anything,i get so wound up that by the time i arrive i look like death warmed up and beyond tired...daft i know,but thats the way i am... gonna try nightnurse this tim see if i can relax a bit and snooze... :) :)
I can't sleep on the way there and if I do its only snoozing. I always sleep on the way back. I once woke up with my head in the isle with a bit of dribble on my chin!! Was so embarrassed!! :duh
wife sleeps with no problem but I can't ever get comfortable enough.
However I can sleep in my truck when another driver is driving and I am in the bed.
Alcohol (spirits/ shorts etc) don't help either, as I always feel dehydrated with it. If I have a few pints I spend all the flight going and coming back from the loo.
I have often thought that long haul flights would be better without any seats and just bunks tiered up under the luggage pods.......... then I could sleep with no problem, although in flight meals may be a problem :D
thinking about the bunk idea, the airlines would get more passengers on the aircraft doing this, so maybe I should e-mail some of them!
hey del

please make sure you email thomas cook first then so they may implement your great idea before i go in january.......otherwise its the normal scaring of the locals when i get there...lol

angie xx
I cannot sleep sitting upright in a chair due to suffering from Sleep Apnea. This means I fall asleep for 10 minutes, then start to snore and wake myself up fully aware that I have done a big snort or snore that has awoken me. When my OH says you were asleep as I heard you snoring, I am quick to SNAP back and say I do NOT sleep on a long haul flight. I sleep, wake up, sleep , wake up ..... and this is regular every hour. I get so snappy and bad tempered from not having proper uninterrupeted sleep. If anyone then accuses me of saying you had sleep... you were snoring.. then I am fit to kill !

I like to keep myself amused on flights and this year was totally p*ssed off this year after paying for an upgrade, was not available. I get through the flight watching films etc on the personal entertainment system, but unfortunately it wasnt available.
After check up , When I heard we had no premium upgrade , I just decided to get drunk instead. Not the best suggestion as we cannot remember stopping off at Bahrain.

Best way to get over your travel is to NOT GO TO BED. Stay up as long as you can, then go to bed, you will drop asleep and then be back up as normal.

Lisa
I've only ever been on long haul once, didn't sleep on the way out as I was so excited, and they kept topping up my champagne as It was our honeymoon. I think I watched most of the films showing. After a month of travelling around though, I sure did sleep on the way home :D
I just remembered, on our FC flight in March, one of the passengers laid down in the aisle and went to sleep, I couldn't believe it, the crew were just stepping over him!
just remembered, on our FC flight in March, one of the passengers laid down in the aisle and went to sleep, I couldn't believe it, the crew were just stepping over him![/quote

OH, I WISH I HAD THE BOTTLE TO DO THAT!!!!!!! ABSOLUTE TOP MAN!!!!!!
That passenger ought to think himself lucky I wasn't on that flight; I am so clumsy that when on flights I clump about like Champion the Wonder Horse knocking into people that I probably would have stomped on him!
The journey back from Goa once was about 3 hours! ;)

We had made friends with an australian nurse during the holiday in our beach shack and were talking about not looking forward to the journey home. She said she takes over the counter sleeping tablets that you can buy in Australia. Gave us the box so we could see and read for ourselves and said she takes just half a tablet. We checked everything out THOROUGHLY - and took just 2 tablets.

We started the flight and two of us took QUARTER of a tablet each. Next thing we knew we were wide awake as dinner was being served. We said 'pprrf...that tablet was no good then!'...and then realised we'd been asleep for 3 HOURS! We were alert..wide awake, ate our meal....and straight back to sleep...but woke with no problems if we needed the loo etc.

Arrived at Gatwick early hours of the morning - again..alert etc. waited for luggage - ferried to car. Both of us got into back of car and put arm rest down and right off to sleep again! I woke up when they opened the window at Dartford tunnel to pay the fee because it was freezing....then straight back to sleep until approaching our house!

O.H. said 'great...you're not going to sleep now!'...so I took another quarter...and slept like a baby until the morning! BEST journey home from Goa ever!
i find it really difficult to sleep on a plane, (maybe with 8 pints though paul!) i cant seem to settle down as i am always worried about leaning on the person next to me or snoring and anoying the whole plane!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.