General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I always say hello, its only polite isnt it? :lol: Then it depends, nothing worse than someone talking non stop when all you want to do is read or listen to your music etc.
After the initial hello and a bit of smalltalk, I find it pretty soon becomes clear whether my neighbour is someone I'll enjoy chatting to during the journey. Travelling is always a brilliant ice breaker and you can quite often get some useful info about your destination and elsewhere - just like HT, only live!
I always offer a sweet before take-off. Depending on the response I may chat or not! Then again, they may take one look at me and decide they would rather walk!!! :D
I say hello and then leave them to their own devices. OH will & does speak to anyone!
I usually talk to the person next to me but one year the lady next to me coughed violently for the whole 9 hours to Orlando. Needless to say I had an ear infection the next day :twisted:
allways talk to the person next to me cause it is allways the wife my girl gets the window seat wife in the middle and me on the end :lol: :lol:
I always talk to who ever I am sitting next to on the airplane, sometimes as we wait in lounge to board aswell

You never know who you will be sitting with, they might even be from same town, city
I always try to say hello and be polite. I say "try" because I am normally so nervous that sometimes I cant bring myself to do it until we are well and truly on our way !!

One year however, I was sat to a really lovely lady but she had really bad breath. Unfortunately, she was a "chatter" as well. It wasn't the nicest flight I have ever had but at least I forgot my nerves for a bit concentrating on not breathing every time she spoke. Sorry :oops: . I always try to carry some mints now and offer around.
:)
yep, i'm always sat between my fiance and my bro!
:yuck not nice srhjnmgn, think i would have pretended to sleep :wink: I always carry sweets and water on the flight anyway, the air is so dry on planes isnt it.

Worst passenger ive had next to me was a mum with a toddler who took a shine to me and stared at me the whole flight., they were Cypriot and neither of us could speak each others language, though i did try to amuse her with my celebrity mags and pulling funny faces. :roll: Worse though was her baby sister who had a chronic case of diarhoea and sickness, that poor mother, and poor the rest of us nearby. :lol:
I always 'bag' the window seat so don't have this problem as OH in middle. He talks to whoever is sitting beside him - sometimes I feel like telling them to be quiet!!!

I'm not good at small talk with strangers. I don't make 'friends' on hols either, but again, hubby will chat away to folk.
i do if its a stranger but i usually end up sitting with the family
I usually talk to the person next to me but also carry a book or magazine, so I can turn to that if he/she gets too boring and hopefully they get the message. Travelled with a lovely Tunisian family once, mum, dad, toddler and baby, who were actually on my coach from Southend to Gatwick. We weren't sat together on the plane but I had the little girl on my lap part of the way and she was adorable.
Well seeing as there are only three of us, son gets window, me in the middle OH on end, so no i don't usually speak to anyone other than them. However, the OH talks to the person on the other aisle seat, the stewrads when they pass and anyone else who'll listen to him.......................is my conversation really that boring?? :?
Last few flights I have taken with Emirates and First Choice and thomson I haev always managed to get a part of the plane where there are just 2 seats together so only me and hubby :)
Hi all,

Mostly, I don't talk to anyone on the plane (apart from family that is!), as you might run into someone from the unruly family thread! LOL!

Enjoy your hols, and don't take life too seriously!
I must admit, on my flight down to Malaga the other friday I didn't say a word to the couple sat beside me. I was travelling alone. I was too busy with the camera and looking at the world outside and they were reading their papers so I guess we had different things to occupy us. On my return flight, I didn't really have much choice:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Malaga2007-180.jpg

There wasn't anyone next to me to talk to!! I did chat to the captain though, we had personal service from him and the other 4 passengers sat in the row in front (yes, 5 of us on the flight!). My trip reports will be posted soon.

I find once you're on the aircraft, a lot of passengers keep themselves to themselves and just chat to people within their own party. I always find people are more open when in departure lounges and chat to others more, maybe its just nerves before the flight?

Darren
To be honest I find aircraft too noisy to hold a comfortable conversation for any length of time so its heads down in a book for me or look out the window.
I once had Jimmy Hill sitting next to me on a flight from Gatwick to Aberdeen. Hubby was in the window seat, I was in the middle and Jimmy Hill was in the aisle seat. Hubby chatted to Jimmy for the whole journey!!!

Read my post in the "Landing in Thunder and Lightning" re my "seat buddy" just this week. :shock:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.