General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Like Sunbear, we have also booked private villas with pools and we absolutely love these type of holidays

Now I'm a people watcher so that type of holiday would be a no-no for me as I wouldn't be able to watch the comings and goings of others :really
My wife likes people watching as well, if we're sitting on the balcony she'll tell me someones nicked "her" sunbed and moan constantly about it all day, its just not worth the hassle! it usually costs me a fortune in bribes to the pool man so its easier to actually "buy" my own pool.
I really do like the peace and quiet of a villa holiday , we're both surrounded by people all day in the jobs we do , so its different to get away from all that. We go down the seafront at night and she people watches while i concentrate on eating and drinking.
Hi

Personally it would depend on how fussy the people are going ie food, we came back from our regular hotel in fuengirola. its a 4 star. we didnt eat once in the evening only breakfast. spent 1500 euros on eating and drinking out, I could not stand to eat veal and fish every night no chicken, and chips, roasts and I only saw paella and anchovies once. which I did have one night, and we had no fridge ibn room, and had to pay for safety deposit box nearly 40 euros for the 2 weeks, I am for sure going self catering in costa del sol next year, as supermarkets were brill an cheap, do not believe the hype about self catering... so no I would not go all inclusive/5 star/ 4 star cos you aint gunna get what you wanna eat every day.. and your not tied down to set meal times etc ;)
I forgot to mention in my first post that our favourite type of holiday is self catering (without the catering lol). We like to eat most of our meals out as we love trying the different foods that the particular country has to offer. We do sometimes eat breakfast on the balcony/patio. Failing sc we usually book B&B. A big part of our holiday is walking in the evening, finding various restaurants to eat at and calling in a few bars. We don't mind the occasional AI but I'd hate to do it every year :cry
I wouldn't expect a four or five star hotel to tie you down to meal times. The hotels I've visited have often had a choice of a la carte restaurants and also the choice of a buffet if desired. Should the restaurants be closed well there's always the twenty four hour room service. We too only go B & B as we enjoy eating out and about. Actually the hotels we visit don't appear to offer options like half board or AI anyway.
5* all inclusive you should get pretty much whatever your heart desires, foodwise. Well, unless you are actually a chicken nugget and chips type of person which might be more difficult (but they'd do it I'm sure). 4* I find can vary enormously and whether it's AI or not a buffet restaurant can be hit and miss. It shouldn't be at a five star though.
I judge hotels more by their reviews than star rating, since it's the quality of the holiday not all the trappings that make or break it. My two weeks away is precious, there are only so many weeks annual leave in a year and I want a relaxing break whether it be 2 star or 5 star. In the main we go AI, so a high star rating can mean it's a safer bet, but not always. Our 5 star in Turkey last year for all it seemed more glitzy on the outside was not a patch on the 3 star in Bulgaria the year before.

Pam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.