Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hello Kiltman-Graham, I remember reading that book and to think in 1942 these busses were only a few years old at that point it makes you wonder how they kept them going for as long as they did.
In 1993 on our first visit to Malta when we had our first ride on them it was so much fun, the drivers drive them like racing cars and it was better than being at Alton Towers.
It is a sad end for them but like other places perhaps they will do some of them and run historical tours in them.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I can remember the buses on my first visit in 1981. Seems like a lifetime ago but in those days the buses were all painted green and I think I might know why they were able to keep these grand old machines going for so many years.

During the late 60s when I was a student I used to work in a garage during spare time and hols to earn some money. I recall how 'Joe Bloggs' could work on his car and service, tune and sup up etc. I even spoke to one guy who said he used to replace big end bearings on one old 'ice cream' vending vehicle, by melting the metallic medium and 'lapping' it onto the crankshaft. I don't know if he was winding me up and I have never seen this done (maybe someone might know about this?), but if this is true then it's because these old buses can be repaired, and engines easily refurbished time after time that has kept them going all these many years.

Nowadays engine are so sofisticated that there is very little the you can do to a modern vehicle without involving computerised diagnostic tools!!!

Trev
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.