Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I've never been to the DR so can't help you with the specifics but your husband is right - September is well within the hurricane season for the whole of the Caribbean area. So you will need to weigh up the relative risks of travel and decide whether you are willing to take them. I regularly travel to Cuba at the height of the hurricane season in July/August and have never had any qualms about doing so but others with experience of the DR will no doubt be along soon to give you more specific information, especially about how humid you can expect the climate to be which is the other thing to bear in mind about travelling to the Caribbean at that time of year.

SM
Yes , it is hurricane season , September is generally the cheapest month of the year to go to the Caribbean ,mainly because it is one of the , if not the highest risk month to travel .
The weather will be very humid but still hot , with a high risk of very heavy rain showers , saying that though you could be lucky , and not see any rain , although its unlikely !
September is the worst month(technically speaking) for hurricanes/poor weather
I went to DR last year arrived 14/09 staying in Punta Cana and we never had a single storm for the whole two weeks just a few light showers.
plan b - booking bulgaria and leaving carribean til earlier in the year 2015! (be our 20th wedding anniversary then ;)
alizda wrote:
plan b - booking bulgaria and leaving carribean til earlier in the year 2015! (be our 20th wedding anniversary then ;)

excellent, I love Bulgaria and the DR, incidently we went to Puerto Plata in September and never had any problems weather wise, was humid but weather was perfect.
Have to say we have been in the Dom Rep in September and had fantastic weather, lovely sunny days and warm nights, there was a huge thunder storm on our last night with some high wind however the next day when we were leaving it was once again lovely.

It is a hard decision to make and there is no guaranteed answer I am afraid :( we have been lucky when we have gone to hurricane regions later in the year and not had any disruption so on a personal note we would go again.

Graham
well we are off in 22 hours for 3 whole weeks beach side in samana ))
who needs xmas bah humbug
we went to puerto plata in feb this year, wonderful weather.
we did a day trip to samana to see the hump back whales.
samana and bacardi beach are beautiful
have a great holiday madasharley its a beautiful part of the world.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.