Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
the Riu, Iberostar and Dreams hotel in the Dominican Republic are all nice and will have plenty for families.
Dreams Punta Cana has 6 restaurants, including A LA Carters which you odn't have to book.

They also have a a normal kids club and also a more teenage orientated club area too.

Lisa x
Thanks ladies will have a look.... hubby wants mexico but i dont like to lose ;)
just looking around on here and find a bad review for dreams :( so checked out further and although the complex is good it seems the rooms aren't...
What about Dreams La Romana? Rather than Punta Cana. I did a lot of research and for us it seemed to come out on top. We got a good deal too. Going for 2 weeks in August so I hope it's as good as it sounds! Sometimes with the reviews you need to read between the lines a bit!
Thank you, will have a look, hubby has me lookin at mexico now, but i don't want to give up, if we were going without the kids i wouldn't bother, but i need it to be good so i don't get any grief of hubby ;)
I can vouch for the Rius in the North and also Dreams La Romana. We stayed at Dreams la romana last summer and had a great holiday. Although we didn't have children with us, there seemed to be plenty for them to do. The prices are reasonable too for that quality of hotel. here are some of the photos we took there
have a look at Iberostar Bavaro or Iberostar Dominica loads for kids to do, plenty of different restaurants and fabulous beach and snorkelling. :cheers
I would personally opt for Mexico over the Dominican. Although Dreams La Romana is a good shout.

We went there last May and it represented very good value for money. We went as a couple with no kids but as someone as already mentioned there looked to be pleny of things for them to do.

The only downside, which I couldn't simply ignore is the we were both ill (upset stomach, urge for toilet etc) probably a coincidence but it's the first time that we have had this problem on a holiday abroard in over 20 trips to the Caribbean.
Hi Emma,

We are off on our 3rd trip to Dominican Republic in May & are going to The Ocean Blue in Bavaro, we have previously been to Riu Palace Macao & what was Superclub Breezes Punta Cana which I think is now Barcelo PC, we have loved every min of our stay! The Riu complex has 5 hotels & depending on what * you book you can use all the facilities in all the hotels! It feels like you are part of a huge village! The staff were fab & food & drink top shelf stuff! We are travelling with 2 kids (15 & 9) so wanted things for them to do, we were recommended OB as there are loads of Al a Carte restraurents you can use & also a proper kids den with a Bowling Ally & W11/Ps2/Pool etc I was given some great advise, in the Dom Rep always book as high star as you can afford & this has always paid off for us! Since our first trip to the DR we have been to the Med & Egypt but always feel the draw back as they really do know how to make your holiday & AI is just that! We have found 4/5* in DR no more expensive than Self Catering in the Med so DR wins hands down for me!
I hope this helps

Debs :sun2
thanks for the info, it's much appreciated, still trying to convince hubby to go DR instead of Mexico. but i won;t give up ;)
I can also suggest one of the Palladiums, go for the cheapest as you can use all the facilities of three of the hotels.

There is a 24 hour sports bar that the youngsters tend to hang out in. They have help yourself hot dogs and burgers to order as well as drinks, tv's playing sports and ball tables, you can also help yourself to nacho's, popcorn etc

Food - they do stuff like pizza's and fresh pasta, chips as well as everything else you could possibly imagine. loads of different al a cartes - no need to reserve as well as at least 6 buffets, I think about 13 restaurants in all

All the pools have swim up bars - and most of them have entertainment all day long.

The beach is to die for!

Jacuzzi's in all the rooms, 2 theatres, a disco, three lobby bars with live entertainment everynite.

Hemingways bar that does branded drinks such as smirnoff etc and champagne by the glass.

Staff are amazing and we have always had a gorgeous room

Going back for our third visit this year in May
Bear in mind that you should take precautions against malaria in the Dominican Republic, whereas this is not needed in Mexico.
Try the Iberostar Costa Dorada.You will definately not be disappointed.
We went to Gran Ventana in July with our 14 year old and he loved the place. There was lots going on for teenagers; animation team was the best one we have ever come across and there was no hassle - if you didn't want to join in, you didn't have too. Would certainly return there. We are off to Mexico in April but its our first time so cannot comment yet :)
We have just returned from the Riu Bambu in Bavaro (Punta Cana). The hotel complex is good and the beach is awesome. There should be plenty to do for the kids as well.

But, having been to the Riu's in Mexico, I'm sorry to say but I think your hubby is on the right track, especially if you are looking at going to Playacar. The food quality in Mexico is better, it is safer to walk out of resort, and you don't get hassled quite as much if you go out shopping. We also found the entertainment and staff were better. All for a similar price.

Not that there was anything wrong with the holiday we just had, it was great and we really enjoyed it with nothing to complain about. I just think Mexico is better.
Hiya, i have just booked the Dom Rep through a friend who has been to the hotel we are going to.

We have booked the Riu Mambo in Bahia Maimon. With this hotel there are apparently two other riu hotels right next to it and you can use their facilities and eat in them appart from evening meal which means plenty of restaurants etc.

I went to Mexico last year and stayed in Barcelo Costa Cancun which was nice although evening entertainment was a bit rubbish!!! I loved Mexico and thought it was great!!!

Really looking forward to going the Dom Rep tho!!! xx
Jellybaby15, we too also stayed at Barcelo Costa last year and we too are going to Riu Merengue in August, did we meet you by any chance as we have been to Riu Merengue (next to Mambo) before and totally loved it. I agree with you about the Barcelo last year the evening entertainment was naff, massive difference at the Riu, loads to do day and night, and night time entertainment excellent.
Hi Dawntra

I have never been to Dom Rep before so I dont think we have met although - when did you stay in Barcelo in Mexico?

What date in Aug are you going to Merengue? We are flying out on the 28th Aug!

So excited im on count down already!!!

Vicky (aka jellybaby) x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.