Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Well, I couldn't find the post when I just looked (must try harder), and the name of the offending site has been edited out of your message now anyway.

Why don't you just sign up for that site - use the <join> button on the top left corner and post a reply?
Feeding fish is a big problem in the Red Sea. Whilst in El Gouna this year, we were at the Zeytona beach and whilst snorkelling off the jetty people were feeding the fish... this was very scary as a huge number of needle fish [?] surrounded us and I couldnt get out of the water quick enough - and to think the people feeding the fish found this amusing.
I am surprised at the amount of people who still advise you to feed the fish in their review of the hotels.
I do not feed the fish. I do not plan to feed the fish. :D

However I am totally ignorant on this subject. Please could someone explain this rule to me and anyone other dim people out there like me?

My thinking on the above post is that if there are dangerous fish in the water, why would you be in it snorkelling? So could you please clarify?
Because bread isn't a natural food for the fish and so it upsets the Eco balance and presumably the fishes digestion. (i'm waffling here :oops: I'm sure Alan, Everest, Carrot or someone who knows better will give a more scientific explanation, but I happened to be on-line so gave it my best shot!). You don't see many branches of Percy Ingles under the sea.

Doe :)
Also, if the fish are fed by humans they will also come close and nip humans! :shock:
I would love to know what the reasoning behind not feeding the fish is. I'll say no more until others have posted!

jay Trip - Why are you so against it?

Darren
The reason I am so against it is because fish in the red sea being fed by humans with bread will eventually die.They will become dependant on the bread which is not that good for our digestive systems never mind the fishes.The same folk who feed the fish will probably walk on the coral to do so!.When I was at the Conrad 2 years ago anyone who attempted to feed the fish got told off in no uncertain terms by the boatman at the end of the jetty.The fish are clear enough to see without enticing them with something that could eventually kill them.
Feeding foods which are not natural to any marine creatures will cause them harm as their systems are not equipped to deal with them. It is a proven fact that excessive carbohydrates are harmful to marine fish., and this is compounded by some of the bread being used to feed them being stale or mouldy. Feeding them also reduces their natural instinct of being afraid of humans and could indeed reduce their ability to find their own natural foods.

When fish are fed by tourists, regularly and in the same places it can serve to attract predator species to that location which in due course reduces the stocks of fish in those areas. This unnatural aggregation of fish species can also greatly affect serious data collection and studies of marine life.

It is also another sad fact that many people who carry food, like bread, to the water to feed the fish, feel the urge to dump the plastic bags they use, either in the water or on the beach. They also pay little or no attention to the corals whilst their attention is rivetted on the fish and destroy much precious life with their carelessness.

Feeding fish is actually against the law in all areas of Egypt covered by the National Park laws.

Several years ago when I first discovered the Red Sea resorts, I was totally naive about any of the above. My ignorance soon disappeared as I talked to people, both Egyptians and others who soon made me realise the error of my ways. I believe that we all have a duty to bring some of the above facts to the attention of anyone feeding fish in the Red Sea as their actions are usually caused by nothing more than total ignorance of the facts.
Thanks for the explanations, whilst i hold my hand up and say i have fed fish when i have been snorkelling in the med, i will no longer do it ,for the exact reasons stated by the well informed posters.I do however resent the accusation that just because i feed fish, i will dump my rubbish in the sea/beach and walk over delicate coral :roll:,Just because i may be a bit ignorant to the facts, i'm not an idiot who has no respect for the planet/wildlife etc
Hi Spurry,
I did qualify the remark with "many people" and in no way imply that everybody leaves their rubbish. No offence meant!
I didnt accuse everyone of walking on the coral who feed the fish I said "probably".A few years ago I was on a glass bottomed boat over a coral reef off Key West and the boatman was attracting fish by throwing cheese puffs overboard!.This probably doesnt happen now.
While I respect the views posted here, and acknowledging the Egyptian marine park laws, I don't necessarily agree with some of them. The issues raised here and 'implications' aren't just confined to the Red Sea, it happens globally. Many people enjoy feeding fish and it's good that people take an interest in marine and freshwater environments. Some people only get to see the variety of fish once a year while on holiday and enjoy feeding them. The waters of the Red Sea are clear and rich in marine life, in many places the waters aren't as clear and the fish aren't as abundant so you can't always see them from the beach or pier. I see fish every day of the week but still enjoy looking at them on my travels, especially in the more tropical areas with the huge diversity. And before you ask the question, yes I do sometimes take a bit of bread with me to attract and feed them go get a closer look. It also makes great bait! I would agree with you about a minority of people not taking some of their actions in to account at times and not thinking about where they are walking and damaging corals. In my experience, this isn't a widespread problem. In any case, it hurts!

With regards to the feeding of fish, I agree in extreme cases regulation is required and its a shame a minority of people don't moderate what they throw in to the water, eg a loaf rather than a slice. The plastic bag / rubbish issue is as a bigger problem than the bread though! I can't say I've ever seen any empirical evidence that feeding high carbs to fish in the case of tourist feeding bread doing any serious harm. It won't kill them! It's been happing in freshwater systems since bread was first baked and the fish are doing just fine. It's quite often the confined waters and excessive duck feeding where problems lie in that instance. I can't say I agree with the point about feeding fish bringing predators in and reducing populations. Presumably by over predation? Predator - prey ratio's are finely balanced systems. These cycles will continue regardless, ie more prey, more predators. Prey population reduces, predator population reduces (with a slight lag). While feeding fish will undoubtedly lead to fish becoming more used to humans and therefore appear 'tame', millions of years of evolution has given them the ability to feed, they won't forget how to eat! Most fish have opportunistic feeding regimes, ie if its there, they'll eat it. That's why they go crazy for bread. If people stopped feeding bread, they'd soon revert back to there normal and instinctive feeding habits. They wouldn't start! Generations brought up in that environment may lose competitiveness, but that's all - survival of the fittest to quote a certain famous naturalist. Farm reared fish artificially fed for the first year or two of life do just fine when released in to the wild. There's enough genetic stock to ensure the species will survive. Don't forget the number of fish coming in to contact with humans is a tiny percentage of the overall standing crop.

The reason I am so against it is because fish in the red sea being fed by humans with bread will eventually die.

They will eventually die regardless! If that really was the case, there would be dead fish up and down the coastline of many tourist destinations worldwide, and I've seen no evidence of that.

To sum up, my views are the feeding of fish is an enjoyable experience for many. I understand the need for regulation and would support it in some cases, but sometimes its regulation for regulations sake.

Darren
My daughter studied marine biology so I will see what she thinks of these posts.Beware I am going to the HV in 2 weeks and if I see anyone feeding the fish(my stupid husband included) I will be asking them why they are doing this!
It'll be interesting to get a marine biologists perspective on this.

Darren
I'm sure I read somewhere that feeding bread to fish has a detrimental effect on the coral??

I too have seen people feeding fish then dumping their bags in the water or on the beach :evil: :evil:
I'm sure I read somewhere that feeding bread to fish has a detrimental effect on the coral??

I can't see how. Coral reefs are dynamic systems. Fish are an integral part of that system. Various fish species have a different role to play in the upkeep of a reef. Having said that, localised fish feeding most often from shore or a jetty / peir, bread or otherwise is unlikely to disturb the balance of a reef. There may be a slight imbalance locally, but not in the overall scheme of things. Physical damage to corals and litter is most probably the biggest factor.

Darren
Very interesting to hear your views, Darren. Have you considered though, the fact that this "fish feeding" goes on, 365 days a year at virtually every hotel with a house reef on the "Red Sea Riviera"? I feel that this is certainly upsetting the natural balance, both locally and in general. I just hope that Egyptian reefs dont end up as scarred and damaged as they are becoming in many locations worldwide. Sri Lanka springs to mind as one example.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.