Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Oh yes thats great, might see them at the beach. Glad the laundry worked out ok for you too. Ive got two more days to write about and thats the report finished, but your right, its hard going! :D
you're doing a great job. A report takes ages to write but it keeps the memories and you'll enjoy reading it again long after the holiday :D
The guy who got the plastic bag over the head is a friend of mine, after a few days and plenty of Honeybee he found it funny, his wife thought it was hilarious! They saw the guy who was booted off the plane a few days later in Bagga :shock:
trying to find about this laundry is it in calangute and is it cheaper than hotel laundry, as going back for xmas and want to wash clothes rather than buying loads more, also what are prices like, thanks
I think the laundry was called the Washing well, a lot cheaper than the hotel! Gemma 33 will be able to tell you more about prices but I got a bin liner full done for under 500/-. It is located on the Baga road just off Calangute main street near Ticlo resort.
It was good to meet you dribyar at the banana festival.I think I got back from there at 6am absolutely legless.Back home now and still in relationships with the local sheep!!!
:rofl Good to meet ewe ? too.. :lol:
Nearly finished!
Tuesday
Yet another lazy day on the beach, well, I deserve it!! Getting used to relaxing now and stating to enjoy doing nothing but sunbathing, swimming,eating and drinking.
Whilst we were at the banana festival on Saturday night, we met Rovin from Sendra. He reminded us that there was a special evening on Tuesday with some sort of sword fighting/display so we asked him to sort us out a table for 8 of us.
Saw Mr and Mrs Gemma 33 there and had a quick chat about places to eat and laundrys!! Really nice couple! Had a good meal, starters were excellent, and the show was great.
6 of us ended up back at the hotel for a drink in the bar and a relatively early night while the other two decided to walk back. All was fine until about a 100 yards from the hotel when they were victims of an attempted bag snatch! She held on to the bag whilst the culprit made off across the fields.

Wednesday
Down at the beach for 9.30 for breakfast before the boat trip to Arombal we had negotiated earlier in the week. Set off about 10.30 and went dolphin spotting on the way. Never seen as many so close together before. We motored up the coast and arrived at Arombal beach just in time for a swim in Sweetwater lake and a beer or two. After the swim, we walked round the lake and were covered in the yellow mud by the boat crew. Back round to the head of the lake again for a swim and try to wash off the dried mud. Everyone looked like a member of the Simpsons by this time!! (see the photo's in the gallery). Motored back down the coast and stopped at Manderim beach for a relaxing lunch and a few drinks.
Got back to Baga beach late afternoon after a very interesting and enjoyable day out. Back to the hotel to get the rest of the yellow mud out of my hair in the shower and then to cactus again to meet with brother in law. Had the really nice shepherds pie and a bottle of red. Kids found the pool table a welcome break from sitting with the embarrasing adults.

Thursday
As usual, the morning found us all on the beach for breakfast and we set up camp for the day. Nothing much to report today as we just lazed about all day in the sun with the girls getting their massages and pedicures and daughter entertaining her hareem around her sunbed(s) all day.
A bit of shopping during the evening around Calangute and the Baga road and the hunger pains started. We decided to try East meets West so got a couple of taxis there. The place was packed and we couldn't get a table. I wasn't really bothered as I'd heard mixed reports about the place on HT anyway. We walked a bit further but didn't really like the look of any of the places we passed so eventually we ended up by the beach. Never been in Britto's shack before but it seemed a lively place from the road so we decided to give it a try. The place was huge and due to the karaoke, very very busy! Just one little tip to all you singers, just because you like a song, it doesn't mean you're any good at singing!!! I think we got the last table, ordered the drinks and had a look at the food menu.
Steak and kidney pudding, chicken and mushroom pie, steak pie!! The younger crowd had the puddings and pies whilst I decided on a tasty sounding steak. Nobody was disappointed with the food and it was pronounced one of the best places we had been to eat so far! The range of desserts and pastries in the glass display case really has to be seen and the doughnuts were the cheapest in Goa!! Remember, desserts spelled backwards is STRESSED so you really have to try them if only for the therapeutic qualities!! I've put on about a stone by this time so gave them a miss and had another bottle of Vin Ballet red.
Finished there and staggered next door but one to St Ants for a nightcap (again)..

Friday
Back to the beach in the morning and the usual breakfast and sunbathing. It's great having a routine during the day even though it's a holiday! Had a drive to Le Jardine during the day to book a table for the evening. Great looking place and when we arrived in the evening, we weren't disappointed. The Staff, food and ambience were all superb and I can highly recommend it to all. More expensive than most other places but comments such as 'reminiscent of a top London restaurant' and staff with their lighters at the ready for when the cigarettes came out and the excellent food presentation should make this one of the places you should visit at least once during your stay.
Can't remember what we did for the rest of the evening but I suppose alcohol was involved at some point!
Last 2 days soon!
sounds such a good holiday :D
the highlist was meeting me of course
Saturday
Going fishing today! One of the lads had booked us on a boat at 3 o'clock in the afternoon so stayed on the beach eating and drinking until then. Ordered a light lunch about 1.30 (don't like being sea sick on an empty stomach). The food arrived about 2.30 (well, there's no rush is there!) I'd ordered something with chicken and when it arrived, it turned out to be the biggest Sunday dinner looking meal complete with Yorkshire puddings I'd ever seen! Took a bit of getting through but I managed eventually.
A 4x4 came to pick us up and drove us south through Candolim until we arrived at a river. We boarded the boat and set off to catch the big ones..
The good thing about the trip was the unlimited free beer and soft drinks that were provided for us. That was the only good thing though! We motored for about 20 mins and anchored (A rock on the end of some rope) about 100 yards of the shore. We eventually all caught fish but they were all the size of postage stamps! Moved about a couple of times but all the fish were tiny. Disappointing because I thought we were going deep sea fishing after the bigger species. We all gave up and headed back to port and were entertained by the dolphins on the way back. The car took us back to the beach where we were told of the young lad who had drowned whilst swimming near the Baga river. A local 18 year old on a day out from Mapusa with his family.
Puts the dodgy fishing trip into perspective!
We went to Britto's again in the evening, I had a yearning for a steak pudding! Looking at the menu, I wondered why the steak pudding was more expensive than the steaks?? All was clear to me when it arrived. The extra money was for the suet pastry because they obviously just cut up the steak and put it in the suet. It was huge, looked good and delicious! The chicken pies were made in a similar style and contained huge pieces of chicken! Again ended up at St Ants for the last couple of hours before a cab back to the hotel and yet another late night. Last day tomorrow!

Sunday
Bit of a sad day because we are going home in the early hours of Monday morning. Arranged for the taxi to pick us up from St Ants at 2.30am.
Spent all day on the beach again eating, drinking and sunbathing. It was one of the girls 40th birthday today and we had booked a table for 12 at after 7 in the evening. The place was decked out with balloons and birthday banners and we all really enjoyed the evening. The kids finished their meals and got a cab back to the beach and left us to the wine. We met with them later for a final drink and to say our goodbyes to everyone. Lots of photo's and tears and the taxi came for us on time. We had to go back to the hotel to get the cases and pay the mini bar bill (How much?). When we got to the hotel, about 6 of the beach lads were there waiting for us on motorbikes and helped us with the cases from the rooms to the taxi much to the annoyance of the little security guard on the gate who did his best to keep them out of the hotel!!
More photo's and tears then we were off to the airport. The beach lads rode with us about half way to the airport before, as we found out later, either running out of fuel or getting punctures.
Chaos at the airport, it was still shut and we had to wait in a half mile queue till it eventually opened! Once inside, we had to wait for the check in desk to open, then for the emigration desk to open. We were searched and checked then checked and searched. Plane was delayed for about half hour then it was off back to sunny UK. I slept in the taxi to the airport, at the airport and most of the way home on the plane. The holiday was starting to catch up with me now!
So, all in all we had a great time. Never had a bad meal although some were better than others. All the restaurants we ate in were good.
We all seem to prefer Baga to the less noisy parts of Goa and will continue going there.
That's about all for this report, hope you weren't too bored.. 8)
Ray.
Forgot to say, the highlight was meeting Gemma!! :lol:
Brilliant report Dribyar. :D
We also heard about the young boy who was out fishing and drowned at Baga Beach on the Saturday afternoon, its so sad.
Hope to see you and your family again next year (we have already booked for 24 Feb 08 staying at Marinha Dourada again).
Great report-I really enjoyed reading it!
Great Report dad! That was a well ace holiday! cant wait til april :D :D x
Really enjoyed your report :)
brill rep ray wish i was there only 9 months to wait i got my tickets already and keep lookin at em!!!!!!!! how sad am i
bril report got me all exited we go in the morning from manchester.The part were the lads followed u part of the way to airport made me get a lump in my throat
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.