Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
drinks prices
22 Posts
Beer Prices in the Hotels is 2.5 dinar for the local brew and most imported Heineken Becks etc were 3dinar in the bars usually 3.5 and 4 dinar spirits vodka from 4 to 7 dinar bacardi 5 to 7 dinar whiskies from about 6 to 12 dinar depending which whisky also the measures are very small try to take as much of your tipple from the duty free we did as I think it is nigh on impossible to buy drink in the supermarkets.
Geovil
thanks geovil - thats a great help.i think the beer prices are very good but handy to know about the whiskey as thats all my friend drinks,mixed with coke of course! strange that the mixers are all different prices,usually found they're all the same abroad,for local brands.
bushbaby
Most of the big supermarkets sell alcohol and you can get most things except imported spirits, which are very expensive throughout Tunisia, at cheaper prices than in the hotels and bars. Geovil unfortunately went during Ramadan, during which it appears this year Tunisia has reverted to the previous custom of not selling alcohol at all. I have always found this in the past and have indeed mentioned it, but some posters have said that last year it was available.
Hi,

It depends a little bit where you drink as well. Typically, and unsurprisingly, drinks at the bar in a 5* hotel will be more than at a 3* (although not always - I found the 3* Mediteranee in Hammamet quite pricey, for example). Drinks at bars, especially the late night disco bars will vary a lot and will sometimes rival UK prices - again in Hammamet, the popular British Bar = British prices. And nightclubs charge the earth. At the Galaxy in Hammamet my eyes watered at the price of a coke!!

And just in case you have a special occasion to celebrate and want some bubbly - buy it Duty Free on your way out. It's extortionately expensive there :yikes .

The general rule though is that anything imported will be expensive. If you're happy to drink the local beer and wine (& even the boukha goes down ok with plenty of coke!) and my favourite, the Cedratine, then you'll make a much smaller dent in your wallet.

Enjoy!

A. :glynis
I don't drink much alcohol bushbaby but for mixers I can tell you that in our hotel a can of coke light(diet coke) was 2dinars 500 which is approx £1.25. In our hotel coke/sprite/fanta etc were served in a small bottle and cost 1dinar 700 which is under a £1.
In the supermarket in pek a can of diet coke was 700 which is probably about 35p and a simlar price for the other fizzy drinks.
Just remember that if you are buying at the supermarket to take into your hotel keep them hidden in your handbag or beachbag as most hotels don't allow you to bring drinks in.
Just a little snipit we saw Champagne on sale in one bar 100 Dinar a bottle or 250 Dinar for French Champagne we had 2.
Geovil
wow - that is expensive!! we went to egypt last october for our wedding anniversary and took two bottles of lanson from duty free that were on a special at £16,00 each but in the hotel it a bottle would have been about £100.
Bushbaby did you make your purchase of champagne this side or when you got the other side
its going to be my silver anniversay when we are away so at that price i might treat my hubby to a bottle
Llindy. Have a wonderful silver anniversary :cheers
Get your duty free in the UK. Although there are duty free shops after arrivals at both Monastir and Tunis they aren't always open and they will probably not have as wide a selection, especially for alcohol and cigarettes. I'm off tomorrow and have just checked in on-line with BA, so only have to do a bit more ironing and get packed.. Will catch up when I get back.
Have a lovely time Aslemma!! :)

we look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.
Llindy - it was a special twin pack at gatwick. the head barman was really good and put it in an ice bucket with champagne glasses for us, we did give him a good tip, and we drank it in the bar. he was very keen to know what we paid for it,as its so expensive there.theirs was "french" champagne,but not a well known brand. intend to do the same when we go to tunisia as its for my 5oth birthday.dont know if we'll be as lucky with the barman there! still hopefully we will have a nice balcony to sit and drink it. have a lovely anniversary!
thank you Digby, Asleema have a great holiday and thank you for all your advice and tips for my first holiday in Tuinisia . I have had a quiet word with the TA to ask if they could arrange a small cake and maybe a bottle of bubbly to our table on the evening of our anniversary , hubby doesn't know about this . Suppose i could splash out a little bit extra for the bubbly tho .
Thanks Lindy. I'm sure we'll speak again before your holiday. xx
hey
14th july i will go to tunisia sousse and i will stay at hotel hana beach.where can i find drink there?are supermarkets sell alcol if yes how much is?
thanks
Hi,

Magasin General usually sells alcohol, though it may be in a separated off area, and you won't be able to buy it on a Friday. Unfortunately, I don't know where in Sousse the MG is - (I'm more of a regular in Hammamet) - perhaps someone who knows Sousse better can help you out with that.

Spirits are going to be very expensive, so if this is what you're looking for I'd recommend buying it Duty Free on your way there. Local wine and beer should be cheap / reasonable.

It's generally not considered acceptable to be openly carrying alcohol around, so make sure you have a bag that you can discreetly pack any purchases in. Also - some hotels don't like people bringing their own drink in (even water), so if you intend to buy it to drink there, make sure it's not obvious taking it into the hotel.

All that said, your hotel bar should be reasonably well stocked, and most tourist restaurants will sell alcohol.
ottoman_empire

:think As you are posting from Algeria I would have presumed that you were familiar with the laws regarding alcohol in a Muslim country, if you are genuinely interested you will find that the selling and purchasing laws relating to alcohol are very similar to both Algeria and most of all the other North African Muslim countries, alcohol is available in tourist hotels for guests and in some shops mainly in the tourist areas, some bars and restaurants also sell alcohol for tourists.
yes i am posting from algerie i live here.in algerie there are some magasin they sell alcohol legally so i just wanted to know that is it same in tunisia or not that's all.because i think tunisia is more modern country than algerie because it is a touristic country ...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.